Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT)

The Austin City Limits (ACL) Music Festival seems to be another example of the ever-growing surge in music festival popularity; the October 12-14, 2012 festival is SOLD OUT. **

Hope you didn't have your sights or hopes set on being there.  ;)

No more spontenaity.  If you want to attend a festival, you have to keep on top of the sitch, or suffer the consequences of a sold out venue.   

Here's the lineup; might explain the frenzy.   Also, what do you think of Iggy and the Stooges playing at this thing?   

**apparently, there are tickets available with VIP or Platinum status ... uh, one will cost you over $1,000.00 and the other doesn't even state the price.  Heh. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT)

Unfortunately,when I lived in Austin in the late 1970's,they didn't have the festival at that time.I think it's only been around for 10 years or so.But,I saw quite a few shows there at Zilker Park including Willie Nelson,ZZ Top,Foghat and others.Zilker Park's a beautiful place and a great venue for music,as well as the surrounding area.
       If I ever decided to move to a big city again,Austin would be my first choice. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT)

I lived just outside Austin in 77-79 while I was in the Air Force and stationed at Bergstrom AFB.I was 18-19 years old and was a semi-regular at places like Mother Earth's,Antone's,Oat Willies and The Hole in the Wall.I absolutely loved those the University of Texas women.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT):
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately,when I lived in Austin in the late 1970's,they didn't have the festival at that time.I think it's only been around for 10 years or so.But,I saw quite a few shows there at Zilker Park including Willie Nelson,ZZ Top,Foghat and others.Zilker Park's a beautiful place and a great venue for music,as well as the surrounding area.    If I ever decided to move to a big city again,Austin would be my first choice. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Even our resident boy from the Bronx, Jessey, is a fan of the city of Austin.  :)  Everyone says the same thing, Austin is not like any other part of TX, it's got a very different identity, and it seems to have stayed that way.

I didn't realize it, but the festival has been running for 10 years and counting, but the TV music show on PBS under the same name, is 35 years old, and the longest running music show on the air.  

The TV show used to only showcase local and more typical southern roots talent, but expanded over the years to become what it is today, not exclusive to any genre.   They may have been among the trendsetters in the fusion of musical genres in one place and space.   

Zilker Park looks enormous.  The festival must be overwhelming.  

I've only been to Houston in TX.   HUMID beyond belief, in November, no less.  Too cruel.  Have to say, in all honesty, never saw so many good-looking women and men in my life.  One Barbie and Ken doll after another.  What's in the water down there?  :D    

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Music festival frenzy continues / Festival of the Week: Austin City Limits (SOLD OUT):
    [QUOTE]I was in the Army at Ft Hood from 84-86, and was in Austin pretty much every weekend while I was there.  The River Fest was the big one at the time.  I recall watching Dwight Yoakum leave the stage early on, followed by the Red Hot Chile Peppers.  Another up and coming Roots Band. Or so we thought.  After the shock wore off the crowd started tossing beer bottles at them.  This is at 2 in the afternoon.  They took it for a while, then started getting pissed.  Someone must've liked them because they returned for a club date a month later.  The rest of that particual festival included the Fabulous Thunderbirds at the height of their commercial success, and SRV came out later and joined Jimmy on a double neck guitar. I was also at a Dead show at Manor Downs (pronounced May-nor).  Started babbling about it in the Jerry thread when I saw you mention it,  but bailed out.  Never heard whooping at a Dead show before that.  They did alot of their Western themed tunes that night (El Paso, Jack Straw, etc). Before the show even began they had a sky diving exhibition still vivid in my mind.  The finale was the worlds longest free fall.  An announcer on the PA did the call.  "Here he comes!", "He still coming!", "He's got it!!!".  And then, plop!  I was stunned, but I seemed to be the only gullible one in the whole crowd.  Once the shock wore off I was pi$$ed.   Not a mindset you get at a Dead show, but there it is. Caught  a couple of Willie Nelson's picnics too. Those were alot of fun. I debated staying in Austin after the Army. I have always loved that whole Cosmic Cowboy era.  That era was already over by then (True Believers, Zeitgeist, and other rockers were all the rage. Supposed to be the next big thing, but that went to Seattle instead as it turned out)  But the economy was in the cr@pper, and they were on the verge of changing the drinking age, which for a while I hear, devasted 6th Street.  I didn't really know anybody down there.  So I came home. Now the place is booming and it sounds like traffic is a nightmare.  Which saddens me actually.  But win some, lose some.  I suspect they don't even throw beer bottles at bands they don't like down in Austin anymore.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]
    Slim,
    You need a blog for your wry musings. :D

One of my cousins lived in Austin for a few years (husband's job transfer); they had a nice house, POOL, nice lifestyle, etc., for a fraction of what it costs up here, of course.  This was a while ago, so not sure how the RE market is now, or the traffic congestion, etc.  Still, it can't be any worse than metro-Boston, and the drivers can't possibly be as nasty.  :D   

It sounds like the general tolerance and fusion of musical tastes has changed quite a bit down there.    

I was listening to WUMB (on Saturdays, that's the day I try to tune in if I can) a few weeks ago and heard a great live performance -- it was a country singer, I knew that, but had no idea who it was -- the music was great (not hard core country) and his stage humor was hilarious and poignant.  Turned out to be Vince Gil --- woah.  Lots of redneck humor, and I was laughing out loud.   You just never know what's in store with roots, country, blues, and all associated genres now.  

The ACL Music Festival could not be more diverse.   The musical lineup alone speaks volumes for how new and fresh the approach is, and far from traditional.  That's one reason I like looking at the lineups (I have issues, what can I say?); they're a sign that the musical landscape has changed, in a good way, IMO.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Iggy can play anywhere he wants and I'm there. Nuff said?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Nuff.  :D   

I own one Iggy album.  Gotta take that sucker out one of these days.  

Sections
Shortcuts