Music for Headphones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Music for Headphones

Headphones have been around a long time. I think my first pair were given to me as a birthday or hannukah gift around 1979, age 15. Probably because my parents didn't want to listen to the music I was playing on my cheap FM/Cassette/Record player combo in the basement. They were clunky, heavy plastic and foam, but what a great gift...the hours I spent, sometimes in the dark, listening to everything I could get my hands on, in a world all my own. All the subtle nuances, every breath of the vocals, all the dynamics that media could provide. The recent thread on classical made me realize how much I appreciate a good pair now that I can afford them.

I use them now only when at work, or on a plane, where it's really the only choice. But I think back to the music I enjoyed most on those headphones, and can't help but think it had a profound effect on my appreciation for much of the music I listen to today. A few examples:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    News of the World - Queen
    Leftoverture - Kansas
    Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
    Boston - Boston

In a world of iPods and personal MP3 players and such, you probably have already listened to your favorites with earbuds or the equivalent. I've always felt like there was something more in the headphones. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Share your headphones experiences?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Music for Headphones

I used to listen to music on the phones a lot, not so much now.  Great headphones songs I can think of:

Led Zep - Whole Lotta Love
    Deep Purple - Highway Star
    Robin Trower - Day of the Eagle
    King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
    Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
    Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have a ringing in my ear that will never subside because of headphones. My last pair was a set of KOSS DJ head phones. This dates to about 18 years ago.

My favorite music were the progressive heavy bands; Purple, Zep, Queen; King Crimson; ELP, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

I listen to them a lot now when running and have gained a nice appreciation of The Beatles from Rubber Soul on up and the tricks they did on the left and right channels.

Back when I was younger though it was:
    Welcome to the Machine - Floyd
    Whole lotta Love - Zep
    Court of the Crimson King - king Crimson
    and
    In the Light - Zep

Those stand out

rob

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

And Echoes, that was a scary weird song. Still great now, especially the one on Pompeii

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Whole lotta love(Zepplin) and Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) are probably my 2 favorite headphone songs.They were also the standard which I judged new speakers by.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Two words...Steely. Dan.

I have great admiration for Floyd, Queen, Crimson and other studio pros (esp. jazz), but Steely Dan brought the studio experience and the use of carefully chosen session players to a whole new level.  Some of those recordings are so precise, well-structured and slick that they seem made for headphones.

I know they're not for everyone, but they were freakishly good technicians and excellent arbiters of talent.  I just think there's no better way to test a new stereo system or headset.

A few select choices: Kid Charlemagne, Show Biz Kids, Haitian Divorce, Home At Last, Fire In The Hole

Some more great headphone songs/lps (comfy beanbag optional):

Chicago - Beginnings
    Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
    Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (entire album), Meddle
    Talking Heads - Remain In Light (so good, it deserves its own thread)

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Roxy Music - Country Life

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Speaking of ringing in your ears, I don't know how I don't have permanent damage. I know that lots of devices with headphones now come with a warning...

As for the channel to channel movement of the music, that was one of the best features that didn't come across as well with a standard speaker setup. The Yes Album was great for that. I worked at a company that provided media to cable companies such as OnDemand movies. We had a lab that was extremely noisy, and the company provided Bose noise cancelling headphones for anyone for wanted them. They are really great, but like most Bose products, overpriced IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Music for Headphones:
    [QUOTE]Two words...Steely. Dan. I have great admiration for Floyd, Queen, Crimson and other studio pros (esp. jazz), but Steely Dan brought the studio experience and the use of carefully chosen session players to a whole new level.  Some of those recordings are so precise, well-structured and slick  that they seem made for headphones. I know they're not for everyone, but they were freakishly good technicians and excellent arbiters of talent.  I just think there's no better way to test a new stereo system or headset. A few select choices: Kid Charlemagne, Show Biz Kids, Haitian Divorce, Home At Last, Fire In The Hole Some more great headphone songs/lps (comfy beanbag optional): Chicago - Beginnings Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (entire album), Meddle Talking Heads - Remain In Light (so good, it deserves its own thread) Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? George Harrison - All Things Must Pass Roxy Music - Country Life
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more on Steely Dan. They've been my favorite band for years. I have everything they've ever released except for Here At The Western World, which I think was the flip side of FM, and released on their first greatest hits record. Even the Fagen solo records exhibit the same quality, especially Morph the Cat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music for Headphones : Couldn't agree more on Steely Dan. They've been my favorite band for years. I have everything they've ever released except for Here At The Western World, which I think was the flip side of FM, and released on their first greatest hits record. Even the Fagen solo records exhibit the same quality, especially Morph the Cat.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]

No doubt.  I was fortunate to see them live last year, when they played both Aja and The Royal Scam in their entirety without a break.  I was cautious about how they would sound live, but they were still very good, if a bit more casual in the renditions.  The Wang Center was definitely more suited to the band than the Comcast Center a couple years earlier (although the latter featured Michael McDonald sitting in on a few tracks).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music for Headphones : No doubt.  I was fortunate to see them live last year, when they played both Aja and The Royal Scam in their entirety without a break.  I was cautious about how they would sound live, but they were still very good, if a bit more casual in the renditions.  The Wang Center was definitely more suited to the band than the Comcast Center a couple years earlier (although the latter featured Michael McDonald sitting in on a few tracks).
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I was fortunate enough to see them from the front row at Comcast Center back in 03, I think it was. Unforgettable experience, even though I don't really like the venue. Wish I could have gotten to the Wang for those shows.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here's an obvious one:

"Moving In Stereo" - The Cars

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]Here's an obvious one: "Moving In Stereo" - The Cars
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to hear this song without thinking of Phoebe Cates...

...some images are just indelible.

Good call on The Cars though...their production value was extremely good - partly due to Roy Thomas Baker (Queen's producer on Night at the Opera)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I used to put on NIN, The Fragile, Left Side and lie perfectly still on a bed with my eyes closed (so that after a while I couldn't feel my hands - as if I was drifting off to sleep), watching whatever visions spun out in my mind.

Gn'R Use your Illusion is also good for earphones.

Yo Yo Ma or Rostropovich playing cello; indeed just about any classical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If not for headphones, I would never have been able to listen to all the great rock music I love.

Late at night after everyone in my household was asleep ( past and present) , I could often be found with headphones on. I have worn out about 3 sets.

Having listened with headphones for over 35 years , I can tell you that you will have no "ringing" in your ears or damage as long as you don't turn the volume too loud.

My favorite "headphone LPs" are too numerous to mention. I will list a few that come to mind at present.

Styx- The Grand Illusion
    Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    Led Zeppelin-S/T
    Beatles- Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup
    Depeche Mode- Violator
    The Cure-Disintegration
    The Doors- Soft Parade
    Deep Purple- Burn