Music Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music Predictions

For fun, dream up some predictions regarding anything pertaining to the music industry: musicians, specific bands, recording trends, ownership, financials, live touring -- anything and everything.    

Serious or funny -- doesn't matter.  

Who will last?    Who will celebrate 50 years in RnR many years from now?   Can you picture a 70-year old Taylor Swift?   She'll be doing al-rrright if she can hit the notes the way Chrissie Hynde still can, let alone Ann Wilson.    Or will she be a mere footnote.  (cue Zilla ...)

Any specific lyrics that haunt with regard to predictions re: the music industry? 

In 2002,  David Bowie made the following prediction in a NYT interview:

"I don’t even know why I would want to be on a label in a few years, because I don’t think it’s going to work by labels and by distribution systems in the same way.

The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it’s not going to happen.

I’m fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing.   NOTE: Copyright still exists but access to music defies it, to a certain extent.  

Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity. So it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left. It’s terribly exciting. But on the other hand it doesn’t matter if you think it’s exciting or not; it’s what’s going to happen." 

Bowie was ahead of the curve on all counts.  You certainly don't need a label for visibility or to be discovered, for one.  Youtube / the internet has taken care of that ... whether we like it or not.  

Send out a few predictions.  Rants, as always, are more than welcome.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Music Predictions

I think the best years of the music industry are long gone.

Music personalities have a shorter shelf life than ever. I think this is due to too many genres and styles. No stars will ever have the legacy of such as the Beatles, Stones , Elvis or Ray Charles. Our younger, texting public does not have the pateince to sit down and fully appreciate anything to it's fullest. We live in a world where instant gratification is not just the trend, it is everyting. There are many examples throughout our lives.

I do not have time right now to elaborate on this topic as completely as I would like. I will give it more thought and return with more later...possibly tomorrow.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Music personalities have a shorter shelf life than ever. I think this is due to too many genres and styles. No stars will ever have the legacy of such as the Beatles, Stones , Elvis or Ray Charles. Our younger, texting public does not have the pateince to sit down and fully appreciate anything to it's fullest. We live in a world where instant gratification is not just the trend, it is everyting. There are many examples throughout our lives.

I do not have time right now to elaborate on this topic as completely as I would like. I will give it more thought and return with more later...possibly tomorrow.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Agreed!

How did I come that conclusion you ask....here's proof of the apocalypse of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Harry from One Direction, The Bieb's and Carlos from Big Time Rush will form a super group and set the record for most #1 hits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agreed!

How did I come that conclusion you ask....here's proof of the apocalypse of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

[/QUOTE]

I actually suffered through 2:29 of that putrid trash without throwing up. My first and only thought: If Justin Bieber was black he would be a Michael Jackson clone....similarities in that video of the final segment of the "Beat It" video from the late 80s.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Harry from One Direction, The Bieb's and Carlos from Big Time Rush will form a super group and set the record for most #1 hits.

Laughing

You might be onto something here ... although I shudder at the thought of it.    You have to wonder if all boy bands or teen acts meet the same fate eventually.   

I would not predict the Biebs will last until middle age, no way, no how.   He better move fast on the supergroup.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Please move on to "part II" of your comment, Zilla.  Your predictions will go into a "predictions time capsule" that I will save for the next 25 years.   At that time, I will open the time capsule, and disclose the predictions, and we will see how many of them have come to pass.   Laughing

Maybe 25 years is too far off into the future?   Some time capsules are meant to stay closed for 50 years, but I don't know if that's such a good idea.   ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Global climate change will keep extending the outdoor concert season - a good effect of a terrible cause.

Widespread Panic will continue to hold the record for number of sold out performances at Red Rocks (42).

U2 will play Fenway Park.  AC/DC will not.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Here's my take on a few aspects:

Personal access over ownership is the direction we're already in, and that's permanent.   As we all know, this has eroded the financials of the music industry, and in some cases, it's irrefutable that musicians are not earning what they deserve from their recordings.  So ...

Touring will continue to be on the upswing, but bands will not be as harshly criticized for being in it "for the money" as they are now.    In fact, the "being in it for the money" meme will vanish.

No such thing as "obscure" bands in the future.   

Going to a rock concert will not be a special occasion; it will be (and already is, for some) comparable to going to the movies, in spite of the price.    Not a good thing.   

People will not attend concerts to hear "new music" of their fave bands; they will attend to hear their favorite hits and otherwise feel ripped off.   

Raw talent to "make it" in the music industry has been eroding for years, and is almost non-existent.   The generation coming up will consider "a few months" on youtube comparable to "paying their dues."    Instant success is all or nothing.   :)

Rock music will remain a great uniter, not a divider.   

Be the change, baby.  :D

"I really didn't say everything I said."  Yogi Berra 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Going to a rock concert will not be a special occasion; it will be (and already is, for some) comparable to going to the movies, in spite of the price.    Not a good thing.   

People will not attend concerts to hear "new music" of their fave bands; they will attend to hear their favorite hits and otherwise feel ripped off.   

Fwiw, I go to far more concerts than I do movies.

In July, I went to a flurry of shows, a few of which were free or cheap ($10).  The only full-price show was at Tanglewood and even that was only $35 each.

This was capped with The Head & The Heart in Portsmouth...technically a 'free' show, but we always give a $10 donation each.  The park and town were both packed to the gills.

Sometimes we need to get creative to get our music fix.

Hopefully, great events like Outside The Box will endure for music lovers everywhere (while the overgrown behemoths will further distract the (already inattentive) masses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Part 2/ There is a younger subculture out there that has an eye on the past. A legion of young adults ( I am not sure if "legion" is really the right word...but you get the idea) that listens to , appreciates and even "loves" the classic music of the past. Two young men I work with ( early to mid 20s) either play in a band or have played in bands that play Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and they are fans of such acts as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin,Alice In Chains Tom Petty, Beatles, Stones, Eric Clapton and many others. Another 20 something young man who worked here for a brief time was a big fan of Alternative Rock and was a fan of the Smiths.

When I turn on the FM radio and find more "Classic Rock" stations than anything else, I can't help but believe that I am not so slanted in my opinions. Classic Rock is good. It is still very popular as a choice of listening with people ranging in their 60s to people in their mid to late 30s...and also the younger segment of our population that has embraced this and do not "remember" it from their youth , but are being exposed to it for the first time. EX: I introduced my 20 something yr. old friend  to Rory Gallagher a couple of years ago and he absolutey thinks he is fantastic. He has also introduced a few groups to me from the 90s that I missed along the way.

Now , the heart of the question, the actual future of music.

This is actually very hard to predict. In my lifetime their has been an ocean effect of sorts in music marketing and popularity ( the British Invasion, the New Wave, Alternative, etc.) It seems that until the cyber-age, music would reinvent itself or maybe more accurately , reconfigure itself. Various genres can be identified with certain eras, than they are back slightly different ( EXs: Rockabilly , which enjoyed a resurgance in the 80s with Stary Cats and Dave Edmunds, 50s , early 60 dance oriented music ..."the Twist" .etc late 70s ...Disco, 68-73 Heavy Metal ( first wave) 79- mid 80s Metal ( 2nd wave).  So, we got an ocean effect of waves of music styles, which is not as noticeable ( or maybe nonexistant) in the YOU TUBE age of music , the download has replaced the record store ( that beautiful oasis in the strip mall , where a music lover could get lost for about an hour or two nad forget about the real world while drooling over the new releases and wondering" how many can I afford this week?"

The record store is gone. Many large retailers have a very small record dept. or none at all....only the pop artists. Radio is reduced to playing Golden Oldies. MTV shows Reality T.V. trash. You have to know about a new artist and go searching the web, music doesn't find you anymore, you have to find it.

Add to all this, as I said in part 1, young people do not appreciate art that takes any time to acquire a taste for, kids do not read, they want instant gratification. Ask them to name any of the great impressionists, thay have no idea what impressionism is or would they know it if it hit them on the head. Comedy is no longer an art form, it is shocking and vulger, very juvenile and unprofessional. But, they know how to text and tweet, and are more attached to their cellphones than to any other thing in their lives.

So, where does al this lead, what is my prediction?.....utter insanity by 2020 or sooner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

In July, I went to a flurry of shows, a few of which were free or cheap ($10).  The only full-price show was at Tanglewood and even that was only $35 each.

This was capped with The Head & The Heart in Portsmouth...technically a 'free' show, but we always give a $10 donation each.  The park and town were both packed to the gills.

Hopefully, great events like Outside The Box will endure for music lovers everywhere (while the overgrown behemoths will further distract the (already inattentive) masses.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't put enough emphasis on pricing in my prediction.  My bad.    Going to a club or concert every week is not a bad thing by any measure.   That's like saying "you're reading too many books" is a bad thing.   Not at all what I meant.  :)

I certainly didn't mean the free concerts, of which I am a HUGE fan, and I think I've made that point known in my comments (sadly, I didn't get to OutoftheBox b/c of a foot injury that weekend, but I had planned on it, and was very disappointed in having to cancel out).  

In the summer we have an embarrassment of riches in terms of free / outdoor / well-priced events, and it's not unusual to find something every weekend, if you're looking, for either free or cheap.   You do not have to look very hard.   In a town near me, they are offering a tribute band concert (Led Zepp) for a mere $10 bucks -- free parking, too.    Last month they did a Pink Floyd concert, with a well-known tribute band, same price.   

And there are many clubs that feature very cheap / reasonable ticket prices, too.   So again, it's my fault for not being more specific re: pricing.   And *who's* paying ....

When you're paying ... you're the one who is paying.  Not your parents.   :D   Guess my "prediction" wasn't too well thought out, and since I don't want to offend anyone, I'll just say that it seems that there are lots of younger kids going to concerts, who might not fully appreciate the cost of a ticket; perhaps I was getting too much into a different value.   

Amendment to Prediction:  

Run yourself ragged during the summer months because that will be the absolute best time to see / experience / and hear music at the best price.    

For those of us that will still pay for recorded music into the future, it will continue to be the best bargain in the universe / the gift that keeps on giving.      

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't put enough emphasis on pricing in my prediction.  My bad.    Going to a club or concert every week is not a bad thing by any measure.   That's like saying "you're reading too many books" is a bad thing.   Not at all what I meant.  :)

I certainly didn't mean the free concerts, of which I am a HUGE fan, and I think I've made that point known in my comments (sadly, I didn't get to OutoftheBox b/c of a foot injury that weekend, but I had planned on it, and was very disappointed in having to cancel out).  

In the summer we have an embarrassment of riches in terms of free / outdoor / well-priced events, and it's not unusual to find something every weekend, if you're looking, for either free or cheap.   You do not have to look very hard.   In a town near me, they are offering a tribute band concert (Led Zepp) for a mere $10 bucks -- free parking, too.    Last month they did a Pink Floyd concert, with a well-known tribute band, same price.   

And there are many clubs that feature very cheap / reasonable ticket prices, too.   So again, it's my fault for not being more specific re: pricing.   And *who's* paying ....

When you're paying ... you're the one who is paying.  Not your parents.   :D   Guess my "prediction" wasn't too well thought out, and since I don't want to offend anyone, I'll just say that it seems that there are lots of younger kids going to concerts, who might not fully appreciate the cost of a ticket; perhaps I was getting too much into a different value.   

Amendment to Prediction:  

Run yourself ragged during the summer months because that will be the absolute best time to see / experience / and hear music at the best price.    

For those of us that will still pay for recorded music into the future, it will continue to be the best bargain in the universe / the gift that keeps on giving.      

[/QUOTE]

I also encourage entering contests through radio stations.  You need to be nimble enough to attend at short notice, but it's worth it.

As for recorded music, there's always used cds/goodwill/swap meets, etc.  (I just found a double-live pete yorn cd for $2 that was a nice surprise, plus a copy of 'no alternative' for $1.)

I'm a fan; I don't let lack of money slow me down, if I can help it.  :P

Have a great weekend! :))

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Part 2/ There is a younger subculture out there that has an eye on the past. A legion of young adults ( I am not sure if "legion" is really the right word...but you get the idea) that listens to , appreciates and even "loves" the classic music of the past. Two young men I work with ( early to mid 20s) either play in a band or have played in bands that play Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and they are fans of such acts as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin,Alice In Chains Tom Petty, Beatles, Stones, Eric Clapton and many others. Another 20 something young man who worked here for a brief time was a big fan of Alternative Rock and was a fan of the Smiths.

When I turn on the FM radio and find more "Classic Rock" stations than anything else, I can't help but believe that I am not so slanted in my opinions. Classic Rock is good. It is still very popular as a choice of listening with people ranging in their 60s to people in their mid to late 30s...and also the younger segment of our population that has embraced this and do not "remember" it from their youth , but are being exposed to it for the first time. EX: I introduced my 20 something yr. old friend  to Rory Gallagher a couple of years ago and he absolutey thinks he is fantastic. He has also introduced a few groups to me from the 90s that I missed along the way.

Now , the heart of the question, the actual future of music.

This is actually very hard to predict. In my lifetime their has been an ocean effect of sorts in music marketing and popularity ( the British Invasion, the New Wave, Alternative, etc.) It seems that until the cyber-age, music would reinvent itself or maybe more accurately , reconfigure itself. Various genres can be identified with certain eras, than they are back slightly different ( EXs: Rockabilly , which enjoyed a resurgance in the 80s with Stary Cats and Dave Edmunds, 50s , early 60 dance oriented music ..."the Twist" .etc late 70s ...Disco, 68-73 Heavy Metal ( first wave) 79- mid 80s Metal ( 2nd wave).  So, we got an ocean effect of waves of music styles, which is not as noticeable ( or maybe nonexistant) in the YOU TUBE age of music , the download has replaced the record store ( that beautiful oasis in the strip mall , where a music lover could get lost for about an hour or two nad forget about the real world while drooling over the new releases and wondering" how many can I afford this week?"

The record store is gone. Many large retailers have a very small record dept. or none at all....only the pop artists. Radio is reduced to playing Golden Oldies. MTV shows Reality T.V. trash. You have to know about a new artist and go searching the web, music doesn't find you anymore, you have to find it.

Add to all this, as I said in part 1, young people do not appreciate art that takes any time to acquire a taste for, kids do not read, they want instant gratification. Ask them to name any of the great impressionists, thay have no idea what impressionism is or would they know it if it hit them on the head. Comedy is no longer an art form, it is shocking and vulger, very juvenile and unprofessional. But, they know how to text and tweet, and are more attached to their cellphones than to any other thing in their lives.

So, where does al this lead, what is my prediction?.....utter insanity by 2020 or sooner.

I'm not nearly that pessimistic.

There's great music, art and comedy that comes along; it just takes more effort to find the quality stuff.

Then again, with technology, it can be much easier to find things that we like and are related.

And even I admit that, at my age, I gravitate towards artists who have clearly paid their dues for a few years or albums, even if I only heard about them recently.  That's my own bias at work, and the next generation learned it from us...!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I think music is actually in the long slow process from being a creative outlet to a cottage industry pumping out hook laiden, autotuned,computer generated crap intended to get in and get out after the music exec's make a buck or two.  If I paid attention, I could probably name 6 other Justin Beebur's - "before" - Justin Beebur....Shawn Cassidy, Lief Garret, Wayne Newton....any others? - that's rhetorical, who cares anyway....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Years of the events and events:

2018 -  Justin Beiber gets the sex change operation he always wanted.He then goes through a series of failed mariages to the Back Street Boys'

2020 - Johnny Nash can finally see clearly now

July 3,2021 -  50 years after his "death",Jim Morrison comes out of hiding and makes the most popular album of all time.He then goes back into hiding. 

2025 - The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheelchair" tour

2050 - The Temptation song "Ball of confusion" is still,unfortunately a true description of life

2102 - The "Macarena" makes a huge comeback

2188 - The first contact with aliens.We soon find out their planetary anthem is "Space Truckin'"

2525 - In the year 2525,if man is still alive.......well we all know what happens after that

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think music is actually in the long slow process from being a creative outlet to a cottage industry pumping out hook laiden, autotuned,computer generated crap intended to get in and get out after the music exec's make a buck or two.  If I paid attention, I could probably name 6 other Justin Beebur's - "before" - Justin Beebur....Shawn Cassidy, Lief Garret, Wayne Newton....any others? - that's rhetorical, who cares anyway....

You and I have a similar view of what reality is. The "computer generated crap" started with Disco.....this is one reason why I have so much hatred for this genre.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The future....I love it!

The future brought us rock muscic to begin with. Elvis Presley is the future. The Beatles are the future. Elvis Costello was my future. Which led to future explorations of past music that have become favorites of mine. In particular, Howlin' Wolf. So therefore, Howlin' Wolf is the future.

The future has been very good to me when it comes to music. Here I was, a prisoner of the Seventies, surrounded by "cool" people into rock music. Their lighters at the ready, their drugs stashed in their pockets, waiting to be cool with thousands of others in their blind adoration of rock stars. Then, out of the blue, came Elvis Costello. His music was a bit of a throwback to 50's rock, the kind I had been exposed to as a youngster. He was nerdy, uncool, prickly, and pissed off. It set me off on a great musical journey. Now that was the future!

The past is just the future in reverse. It is where I found a treasure trove of music I love. So the future can only hold more things to discover from the long history of music.

Ths future...I love it!

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

You and I have a similar view of what reality is. The "computer generated crap" started with Disco.....this is one reason why I have so much hatred for this genre.

Dig this Disco song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ak92QMGvvo

Boogie on, Ray Davies!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

The pop star who shall remain nameless will be deported back to Canada.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Years of the events and events:

2018 -  Justin Beiber gets the sex change operation he always wanted.He then goes through a series of failed mariages to the Back Street Boys'

2020 - Johnny Nash can finally see clearly now

July 3,2021 -  50 years after his "death",Jim Morrison comes out of hiding and makes the most popular album of all time.He then goes back into hiding. 

2025 - The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheelchair" tour

2050 - The Temptation song "Ball of confusion" is still,unfortunately a true description of life

2102 - The "Macarena" makes a huge comeback

2188 - The first contact with aliens.We soon find out their planetary anthem is "Space Truckin'"

2525 - In the year 2525,if man is still alive.......well we all know what happens after that

Nice list of predictions, esp. the "Wheelchair" tour, which I'm not so sure is out of line with reality ... time will tell.    Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Roger, this is certainly one piece of the pie (and as you say, always has been and will be) but it's not the whole pie.  

Funny timing, but I read a good, if not flattering article about Justin Timerlake recently, re: his career and his ability to maintain his fan base over the years as he's matured.    

I've never been a fan, but Timberlake's one artist who has managed to mature successfully, after being a child star, then a member of a boy band, and ultimately taking a turn as a solo artist.   Plus, he has great comic timing and talent, he's not mean-spirited, and knows how to poke fun at himself.  He's been a rare example of a musical artist that could shake off his ultra youthful image and develop into what appears to be a reasonably normal adult.  His future seems secure.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

How bout a Joe Bonamassa/John Mayer collaberation on a blues album?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

The past is just the future in reverse. It is where I found a treasure trove of music I love. So the future can only hold more things to discover from the long history of music.

Ths future...I love it!

As the saying goes, the past is never (really) in the past.  Right?   As it pertains to music (literature, film, the fine arts, architecture ... the list goes on), it's all there for us.   

In classical music, no one thinks twice when someone says their favorite composers are people who have been dead for two hundred years, or more.  :)    It's true.   I see that as the wave of the future for rock music, and we've already experienced that for many years now,certainly with jazz and folk music, and it will just become more pronounced as the years pass with rock; even after some of the greatest rockers of all time join one another in the great rock concert in the sky, the generations to come will continue to find their music.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]

Roger, this is certainly one piece of the pie (and as you say, always has been and will be) but it's not the whole pie.  

Funny timing, but I read a good, if not flattering article about Justin Timerlake recently, re: his career and his ability to maintain his fan base over the years as he's matured.    

I've never been a fan, but Timberlake's one artist who has managed to mature successfully, after being a child star, then a member of a boy band, and ultimately taking a turn as a solo artist.   Plus, he has great comic timing and talent, he's not mean-spirited, and knows how to poke fun at himself.  He's been a rare example of a musical artist that could shake off his ultra youthful image and develop into what appears to be a reasonably normal adult.  His future seems secure.  :)

[/QUOTE]

JT "was" part of that boy band over produced N-Sink...the manager blew out several boy bands and cashed the checks.....to my point.

To your point, yah JT did manage to survive in that he still puts out music(?) but I don't see him as a defense of my previous post just another example of what I had said......Wink

Sections
Shortcuts