Music-related destinations and landmarks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music-related destinations and landmarks

What do you all think of visiting music-related landmarks?  Have you ever created a vacation or attached a music destination to a business trip, as long as you were in the area where one was located?  

Have you been to any sites in the USA or abroad?  Did you go and find it rewarding and interesting?  Or bogus?  

Or is the idea of visiting any of these landmarks bothersome to you in the first place, as in, no way you're interested in them.

A few examples:  (there are lots more, this is just a short list)
    RnR Hall of Fame
    Jim Morrison's grave
    Graceland
    Memphis / Nashville
    Visiting old / famous recording studios
    University of Leeds (The Who)
    Birthplace(s) of your favorite musician(s)
    Driving along highways made famous in song lyrics
    Classical venues such as Carnegie Hall or the LA Philharmonic at WD Concert Hall
    Outdoor festivals you have attended a few times

Thoughts, anyone?

(frankly, the number of tourists that visited (and still visit) the "Cheers" bar always amazed me)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Music-related destinations and landmarks

Hitsville, U.S.A. - (the original Motown HQ) Detroit, MI
    also: Fox Theatre, Detroit

The grave of Duane Allman & Berry Oakley (RIP) - Macon, GA (a bit macabre, I know...but I left two T tokens as a tribute.) also: the original Capricorn Records building, Georgia Music HoF

Venues: The Hollywood Bowl, Whiskey a-Go Go, The Troubadour, Red Rocks, Golden Gate Park, The Warfield, Woodstock '94 (i.e. mudstock), The Wetlands Preserve, CBGB, The Bottom Line, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have been to two places specifically for the musical history. The first being obvious and that is Liverpool, England (Gee, I wonder why Tongue out)

The second being 8th Street in Austin, Texas. The live club scene where so many got their start is something to experience. What a great place to hang out at for a couple of days if and when you visit Texas.

I do not count the Lower Eastside/East Village of New York since I lived and and hung out there for quite a long time. In fact, anywhere in NYC doesn't count for me. Also, i will not count Bourbon St. in N.O. because everyone should be able to get there at some point in their life.

Places that I am interested in seeing - Hamburg, Germany.

Maybe the home of Motown -  Hitsville, USA (Detroit)

Places I have no interest in going, Graceland.

And as a caveat to all this, until the day arrives where Deep Purple, The NY Dolls, King Crimson and ELP are inducted into the Hall, I will never lay foot into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (shame) in Cleveland, OH

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Music-related destinations and landmarks:
    [QUOTE]I have been to two places specifically for the musical history. The first being obvious and that is Liverpool, England (Gee, I wonder why ) The second being 8th Street in Austin, Texas. The live club scene where so many got their start is something to experience. What a great place to hang out at for a couple of days if and when you visit Texas. Places I have no interest in going, Graceland.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]You've been to Liverpool?  :)

Our friendship is being put to the test this week: I've been to Graceland.  :)

It was actually hooked on to a trip down South, and it was a major surprise, as in, it was more fun and more interesting that I ever expected!  Believe me, I wasn't expecting to feel the way I did, but it was really poignant.   It's not as though Elvis or his music means *that* much to me, either.  It was more what it represented, to know he grew up dirt poor and how his life was shaped and ultimately destroyed by the music industry and his handlers.  Also,  we were there in the off-season, so it wasn't that crowded, but there are mostly real Elvis fans there, so you get this sense of emotion that is very powerful.

Graceland is just a house, it's not a mansion and it's not a big estate, the way some rock stars live today.  That was another reason it was so mind-boggling.  The interior ... well, that's another story altogether.   You have to see it to believe it. 

Also went to the original Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, and visited some of the old recording studios in Nashville as well.  

I've been to TX, but not the right area.  Wouldn't mind checking out Austin at all.  I was in Houston, and while there, saw a Rockets game.  Being in the arena, my jaw dropped looking at all the really hot men and women.  What's in the water down there?  We need to get some up here.  :)

I'm actually very easy to please, as I find everything interesting, even sights right here in the Boston area. 

(Non-musical: would love to go to Taliesin West in AZ)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] I'm actually very easy to pleasePosted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Surprised

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i drove through gary, indiana once...

RIP MJ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

ph - close your mouth and put your eyes back in their sockets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]ph - close your mouth and put your eyes back in their sockets.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

too late...my mother always told me my face would get stuck this way if i wasn't careful

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I can't explain it but I am drawn to go to Bethel NY at the site of the original Woodstock and just walk the grounds.... someday, maybe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I was in Minneapolis for a conference for work and was able to get away and see the First Avenue Nightclub.  Being a big Prince fan, it was very exciting for me!Laughing 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

CBGB's back in the day

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Spent many a night there ... or a hole in Kenmore Sq

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

During our honeymoon in 1990, my wife and I drove to and across most of Tennessee.  Traveling East to West.  The Smokey Mtns. and surrounding tourist areas is one of our favorite destinations.  They straddle Tennessee and North Carolina.  Lots of music theatres.  Then we drove to Nashville, Tenn. to visit  the Grand Old Opry and Opreyland.  Outstanding.  The last leg we went to Memphis, Tenn.  Graceland was just excellent.  There is so much there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

While I feel I can say with some certainty that I will never voluntarily visit the rock and roll hall of fame (or Cleveland, Ohio, for that matter) one of the best videos I've ever seen in my life was taken just outside it's doors.

To this day, my nephew claims that is not his two-year-old self, poppin' and lockin' around the fountain to the strains of Play That Funky Music . . .

But it is.

Cool

Sections
Shortcuts