Music Revivals (from your own collection)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music Revivals (from your own collection)

Do you ever glance over your music collection and find youself compelled, seemingly out of the blue, to listen to some albums you've shelved for a while?   Might be six months or a year, or it might have been several years since you've listened to this music, even though you used to love it.  Maybe you got tired of it, or simply moved on to other music. 

But now, after taking it out, you start listening to it non-stop all over again.  Any recent examples of this happening to you?

What albums have you revived?  How long had they been on hiatus?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Music Revivals (from your own collection)

Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart (Over 6 years)

The Smithereens - probably 14 years. I believe Matty mentioned them a few weeks ago and I pulled it out.

Muscle of Love - The last Alice Cooper Band album ( maybe 8 years)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Late-era Yardbirds - I hadn't heard in maybe a decade and just pulled out recently - when they were basically run by Jimmy Page and the predecessor to "The New Yardbirds", aka, "Led Zeppelin".  What was fascinating is how similar this music was to what eventually showed up as Zeppelin material, including an early version of "White Summer" and a b-side called "Think About It" that captures Page's soloing perfectly.  It was hardly the best of the Yardbirds, but it hinted wildly at what was to come.

That got me back listening to some of Rhino's "Nuggets" series of compilations that showed a lot of hits from the 60s, but also a lot of independent and garage-style rock bands.  These are the deep tracks that they never play on the radio but are still so, so good: "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet" by The Blues Magoos, "Diddy Wah Diddy" by Captain Beefheart, The 13th Floor Elevators' "You're Gonna Miss Me", and The Shadows Of Knight - "I'm Gonna Make You Mine".  If you have any predilection for the 60's, get any one of these you can find, you won't be disappointed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I didn't discover her until her musical career was well underway, but I bought a couple of Shawn Colvin's cds in the late 90's.  I discovered her through her cd aptly named, "Cover Girl", a very unusual and somewhat sophisticated lineup of cover songs (including Dylan, Waits, Earle, and a gorgeous song by Jimmy Webb); I also bought another of Colvin's albums, "Steady On", around the same time.  After playing them for a while, off to the shelf they went.

I recently wanted to check the lyrics of a song that turned out to be one of Colvin's songs, took out both cds, and I've had a listening revival of her music that I never expected. 

Funny thing about this, too, is that I specifically remember telling jkj that Colvin's voice had worn me out a while back.   So a nice revival for sure.  Some gorgeous songs I haven't heard in a long time.

ps Colvin covers, "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" -- and it's decent. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And if you have not done so lately, pull out your Young Rascals and Lovin Spoonful disks out. If that don't make you smile, nothing will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Combustication by Medeski Martin and Wood.  That's a great great album.

Mule Variations by Tom Waits is something I keep coming back to.  His voice isn't as gravelly on this CD as some of his other recent recordings.  It's a very accessible CD.  Love it.  The first song is a bit harsh, but "Get Behind the Mule" and "Chocolate Jesus" are great.  Which reminds me, why don't they a Chocolate Jesus?  They make a Chocolate Santa.  They make a Chocolate bunny.  By not a chocolate Jesus?

The Heroine by Tony Joe White is something I love to listen to.

Speaking of Lucinda Williams (playing tomorrow), Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is a CD that keeps finding it's way into my CD player.

Any of the 7 CDs that are part of Pearl Jams "Live at the Gorge" are always near at hand.

Once Bob Marley's Exodus get's taken off the shelf, it stays near my CD player for a while.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

All the time!!

Recently dug out the Pretenders first album, which remains one of my favorites. Not a single track that isn't at least good. Could listen to "Lovers Of Today"

Also "Beggar's Banquet" by the Stones, which is currently in my car CD player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Music Revivals (from your own collection):
    [QUOTE]Late-era Yardbirds - I hadn't heard in maybe a decade and just pulled out recently - when they were basically run by Jimmy Page and the predecessor to "The New Yardbirds", aka, "Led Zeppelin".  What was fascinating is how similar this music was to what eventually showed up as Zeppelin material, including an early version of "White Summer" and a b-side called "Think About It" that captures Page's soloing perfectly.  It was hardly the best of the Yardbirds, but it hinted wildly at what was to come. That got me back listening to some of Rhino's "Nuggets" series of compilations that showed a lot of hits from the 60s, but also a lot of independent and garage-style rock bands.  These are the deep tracks that they never play on the radio but are still so, so good: "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet" by The Blues Magoos, "Diddy Wah Diddy" by Captain Beefheart, The 13th Floor Elevators' "You're Gonna Miss Me", and The Shadows Of Knight - "I'm Gonna Make You Mine".  If you have any predilection for the 60's, get any one of these you can find, you won't be disappointed.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

You're preaching to the choir here. I have purchased every "Nuggets" CD I could get my hands on. I bought the original collection when it was on vinyl. I listen to songs off these collections all the time. A couple of my faves  are "Spazz" by The Elastik Band and "Moulty" by The Barbarians,. They always make me smile. If you want to learn about some really obscure bands, I recommend the book Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Rollby Richie Unterberger. It includes a CD with 12 obscure songs and some of them are pretty damned good. I highly recommend it to fans of far out 60's music.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]And if you have not done so lately, pull out your Young Rascals and Lovin Spoonful disks out. If that don't make you smile, nothing will.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Amen, Brother, Amen!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't discover her until her musical career was well underway, but I bought a couple of Shawn Colvin's cds in the late 90's.  I discovered her through her cd aptly named, "Cover Girl", a very unusual and somewhat sophisticated lineup of cover songs (including Dylan, Waits, Earle, and a gorgeous song by Jimmy Webb); I also bought another of Colvin's albums, "Steady On", around the same time.  After playing them for a while, off to the shelf they went. I recently wanted to check some song lyrics of a song that turned out to be one of Colvin's songs, took out both cds, and I've had a listening revival of her music that I never expected.  Funny thing about this, too, is that I specifically remember telling jkj that Colvin's voice had worn me out a while back.   So a nice revival for sure.  Some gorgeous songs I haven't heard in a long time. ps Colvin covers, "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" -- and it's decent. :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Yes, Colvin does a fine job on my favorite Talking Heads song. I got to see her perform once when she opened for Richard Thompson. When he started his set, he commented that she has the voice of an angel. She is a very talented performer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is something I do fairly often.  I own hundreds of CD's, many of which I haven't listened to for a long time, some of which I've only listened to a few times.  It's not only fun to 'revive' some of the ones that have been gathering dust, but it's very economical as well.  Right now I've got a few Black Sabbath CD's in the car.  Which I should probably be a little embarrassed about considering my age.  But they still sound pretty good to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Bob Marley is always good for a Reggae revival.

Lively Up Yourself Don't Be No Drag!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart (Over 6 years) The Smithereens - probably 14 years. I believe Matty mentioned them a few weeks ago and I pulled it out. Muscle of Love - The last Alice Cooper Band album ( maybe 8 years)
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the forum input rocks.  I'm either reminded of something, or my eyes (and ears) are opened to something new.   So awesome. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music Revivals (from your own collection) : Yes, Colvin does a fine job on my favorite Talking Heads song. I got to see her perform once when she opened for Richard Thompson. When he started his set, he commented that she has the voice of an angel. She is a very talented performer.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    Must have been nice.  It's amazing to return to music you thought you'd hung up. 

I just checked the "Nuggets" albums and they look amazing.  The cover art cracks me up, too.  I checked some of the playlists and on the first one I checked, "Dirty Water" was the first song.  I could never get tired of that song, what proper Bostonian could?  :)   It doesn't look as though you could go wrong with any of them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music Revivals (from your own collection) : You're preaching to the choir here. I have purchased every "Nuggets" CD I could get my hands on. I bought the original collection when it was on vinyl. I listen to songs off these collections all the time. A couple of my faves  are "Spazz" by The Elastik Band and "Moulty" by The Barbarians,. They always make me smile. If you want to learn about some really obscure bands, I recommend the book Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll by Richie Unterberger. It includes a CD with 12 obscure songs and some of them are pretty damned good. I highly recommend it to fans of far out 60's music.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Thanks, david, I'll have to check that out...I've read quite a few of Unterberger's reviews in RS and at Allmusic, and he seems to know his stuff better than most.

The Nuggets compilations are indeed some of the best I've ever seen of that era - an excellent choice for people who want to dive beneath the usual hit parade.  I've also heard a lot of the indie stuff on Little Steven's Underground Garage - an indispensable resource for deep cuts - where he covers a lot of ground...highly recommended.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGuy3076. Show BostonGuy3076's posts

This happens to me all the time.  The interesting thing is that usually the lyrics have a meaning relevant to my current life that I'm not even thinking about when I'm craving the music.

-BG

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]This happens to me all the time.  The interesting thing is that usually the lyrics have a meaning relevant to my current life that I'm not even thinking about when I'm craving the music. -BG
    Posted by BostonGuy3076[/QUOTE]Me too. Just tonight I was listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver on my ipod for the first time in probably a couple of years. Who knows, maybe it will even get me off my rockabilly kick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The English Beat

Was surfing online and stumbled upon a Dave Wakeling solo version of "Sooner or Later" which reminded me of how good the English Beat were, hence the re-visit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I took out the only Allison Moorer cd that I own, "Getting Somewhere", and ironicallyy enough, I didn't get anywhere with it.  I only listened to it a few times when I got hold of it about 5 years ago; it was supposed to be a transition album, transitioning away from her alt/country sound; the album was produced by her husband, Steve Earle.  This album was supposed to break new ground.

So no revival here.  Maybe I'll take it out again in a few months.  :)

Anyone else have any opinions or experience with Allison Moorer?