Musical Artists & Freedom of Speach....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Musical Artists & Freedom of Speach....

Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks expressed her opinion a few years back regarding George Bush. And now Michelle Shocked decided to express her views regarding gays......

Michelle Shocked is starting to see the fallout from her anti-gay tirade at her recent concert in San Francisco.

The singer-songwriter and self-described born-again Christian was scheduled to perform 11 concerts across the country over the next couple of months, but 10 of the venues have pulled out as a result of her hate-speech display, Billboard reports.

In addition to clubs canceling their Michelle Shocked bookings, Colorado’s Telluride Bluegrass Festival has also pulled the plug on her scheduled June 23 appearance.

Shocked made the news earlier this week for reportedly making comments like, “When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back.” According to people who were at the Yoshi’s show in San Francisco, she ended her speech by remarking, “You can go on Twitter and say, ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates f—–s.’”

While Shocked’s reps could not be reached by comment, the singer has been very vocal on Twitter since the fiasco.

So, my question is - should they promote their personal opinions - or - just shut up and play music and keep their opinion to themselves?????

I kinda think subjects like sex, religion and politics are all "taboo" for an artist to discuss in public (twitter, facebook, interviews) but OK in private. I do think it's ok to promote things like supporting homeless shelters (Aerosmith asked its fans to bring canned goods to their concert a few years back) childrens welfare or animal welfare. BUT - I don't want to be "preached too" about the artists views at a concert - SHUT UP AND PERFORM!

What say you???

(Yes, I know speech isn't "speach"....no spell check and no eyeglasses :(  It won't save my "edit" )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Musical Artists & Freedom of Speach....

They can say anything they want. If they suffer financial consequences, that is the price they pay. If I decide they are too preachy I may think twice before going to another concert. But it doesn't really matter to me what their views are if I really enjoy the music. I'm sure I disagree with the views of many of my favorite performers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

They can say anything they want. If they suffer financial consequences, that is the price they pay. If I decide they are too preachy I may think twice before going to another concert. But it doesn't really matter to me what their views are if I really enjoy the music. I'm sure I disagree with the views of many of my favorite performers.

I guess the rub for me is if I came to see you perform - I don't want to be preached to.

I got anoyed when I was at a concert and the artist "yapped" (about nothing in particular) for about 40 minutes of her 2hr show! At $75.00 for a ticket - sing!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

I guess the rub for me is if I came to see you perform - I don't want to be preached to.

I got anoyed when I was at a concert and the artist "yapped" (about nothing in particular) for about 40 minutes of her 2hr show! At $75.00 for a ticket - sing!

For me it depends on how well they incorporate and blend the yapping into the overall entertainment of the show. If they stop in the middle to make a long speech, I'm sure they risk the chance of the audience getting restless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I agree with devildavid. Free speech is a two-way street. You're free to express yourself, but you also have to live with the fallout.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I'd rather here Ted Nugent play "Wango Tango" than him spout off about hunting - I agree with his opinion on hunting, I just don't want to hear about his opinion at a concert...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

I make a distinction between social commentary and hate speech.  Shocked's views appear to be bordering on the latter.   She ought to at least get her facts in order.  Or at least have a passing understanding of the battle being fought.  Forcing Priests at gunpoint to marry Gays?  Please.  

At the very least she's completely misreading the audience that allows her to make a living making music. 

I'm with the rest of you,  even if I agree with a position, I mostly don't want to hear it when I go to a show. It's not why I'm there.

I'll echo this sentiment.  

Commentary, stories, effluvia, etc. are perfectly fine.  I want to hear the music, but the artists are people, too, and 2 hours of playing like robots isn't always much fun, either.

But there is such a thing as being tone deaf to one's audience, as Ms. Shocked so clearly demonstrated  (In SF!!  At Yoshi's!!).  I still like her (earlier) music, but to spout off like that in the place she did in the way she did is simply performance malpractice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'd rather here Ted Nugent play "Wango Tango" than him spout off about hunting - I agree with his opinion on hunting, I just don't want to hear about his opinion at a concert...

Hunting is one thing...and largely a-political.

Some of his other opinions, however, seem either wildly misinformed or unnecessarily ideological (and rendered in bad faith).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When I go to a concert, I don't want to be lectured to. If they want to express a political opinion, do it in a song. There are plenty of songs that I like in which I might not agree with the opinion but do respect that the artist is passionate about something and wants to express it in his/her music. That's fine.

My biggest problem with Natalie Maines wasn't that she expressed her opinion about Bush's policy. You don't have to agree with the president. This country was built on dissent. That's fine.

But it was -- IMO -- the disrespectfual way she expressed that opinion. That's the problem today. Too many on both sides of the aisle can respectfully disagree with the other side.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

My biggest problem with Natalie Maines wasn't that she expressed her opinion about Bush's policy. You don't have to agree with the president. This country was built on dissent. That's fine.

But it was -- IMO -- the disrespectfual way she expressed that opinion. That's the problem today. Too many on both sides of the aisle can respectfully disagree with the other side.

Was it disrespectful?  I thought she was sorely taken out of context and then unnecessarily pilloried.  I mean, she made her bed, she was a grown woman and all that, but the ratio of the response was outsized, IMO.

Never mind that she ended up being right, and the invasion and war were an unmitigated disaster.  A lot of people who objected at the time were likewise excoriated at the time and not all of them fairly.  She owned up to her comments.  The proponents - actual leaders, not pop stars - still have yet to do so.

Coincidentally, she will release her first solo record later this year.  More rock than country, so I've heard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Was it disrespectful?  I thought she was sorely taken out of context and then unnecessarily pilloried.  I mean, she made her bed, she was a grown woman and all that, but the ratio of the response was outsized, IMO.

Never mind that she ended up being right, and the invasion and war were an unmitigated disaster.  A lot of people who objected at the time were likewise excoriated at the time and not all of them fairly.  She owned up to her comments.  The proponents - actual leaders, not pop stars - still have yet to do so.

Coincidentally, she will release her first solo record later this year.  More rock than country, so I've heard.

Yes, IMO she was disrepectful, regardless of how right or wrong she was. And I don't think she was taken out of context. She disagreed with the policy and made a personal attack (for lack of a better way of putting it), rather than simply express her view on the policy.

I do agree that the response to her did probably go to far. And that's the problem. Because of the way she expressed herself, she took the focus off the specifics of the policy. In the end, she did a disservice to her cause.

You saw that all the time then and now. Too many Democrats turned disagreement of Bush's policies into personal hatred to the man to ridiculous proportions. And now Republicans are doing the same with Obama. And in the end, both sides lose because it takes the focus off the issues.

That's my two cents and I'll leave it at that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Steve Earle has a lot of lefty politics in his songs.  When I saw him live he prefaced one of his songs by talking briefly about how being a musician had given him such an opportunity to express his 'pinko' views.  He laughed as he said it.  Now that's a good way to handle a speech to the audience - be brief, self-effacing and funny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yes, IMO she was disrepectful, regardless of how right or wrong she was. And I don't think she was taken out of context. She disagreed with the policy and made a personal attack (for lack of a better way of putting it), rather than simply express her view on the policy.

I do agree that the response to her did probably go to far. And that's the problem. Because of the way she expressed herself, she took the focus off the specifics of the policy. In the end, she did a disservice to her cause.

You saw that all the time then and now. Too many Democrats turned disagreement of Bush's policies into personal hatred to the man to ridiculous proportions. And now Republicans are doing the same with Obama. And in the end, both sides lose because it takes the focus off the issues.

That's my two cents and I'll leave it at that.

Fair enough.

Agreed it's often a zero-sum game and, in the end, the discourse suffers.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What say you???

(Yes, I know speech isn't "speach"....no spell check and no eyeglasses :(  It won't save my "edit" )

Roger:

If speech is spelled : Speach

then 

Freedom should be spelled: Freadom

Be consistent.  :)

Otherwise, buy an erasable ink pen.   Nothing to be ashamed of, you know.   ;P

As for FREA SPEACH ;-)  (this is fun)

I go with the flow.   Political zealotry has never invaded a concert for me, so it would be a first if it happened.    Keep it short.   Keep it light.   I can handle it.   As for the Dixies, I've always thought that their affiliation with the country music genre was the main reason they had so much fallout from their statement re: GWB at the time.    

Maines was at SXSW going it alone, so she appears to be ready to re-launch her career.   I have no interest, but wish her no ill; apathetic, that's all.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What an artist says has no bearing as to whether I will listen to the music. But just don't start getting preachy, especially at live shows.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't mind artists using their celebrity to push causes, as Bono, Dylan, etc., do. But I'd prefer they leave politics aside.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If speach is speech then why can't I reech for a peech?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Damm eye mizz dat spell cheq feeture hear!

;