Musical comfort zone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Musical comfort zone

Even though many of us have eclectic collections, and many of us (claim ... just kidding) have varied and adventurous taste in music, as well as open minds and hearts as it pertains to testing out new music, can you acknowledge that you do, or may have, a musical comfort zone?   That is, the music you can't really get enough of, the music that is at your "core" or the foundation level for you?

You might like such a wide range of music you can't imagine giving any of it up, and I'm not suggesting that; the said comfort zone, however, is simply your purest, distilled, "core" taste.  If you want to name it by genre or general category, that's fine.  If you want to name it by bands or artists that typify it, that's fine, too.  It's your comfort zone, afterall, so you describe it as you see fit. 

Some of you may feel that your response is predictable, and it might be, but what do you think?  
    Anyone? 

Also, it's been so quiet here, which may be attributed to the condition of the forums (that's the case for me).   We may have lost some momentum, but I hope it's only temporary.  I'm not done picking your brains --!!    It's such a pleasure having this one spot in the online universe to discuss music and many of the other "arts", with intelligent, thoughtful and knowledgeable people (fun and nice, too).   Hopefully Zilla, who seems to have gone MIA, will surface at some point (not sure if he's been on the Sox forum, but I'm not getting that vibe).   

"May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Musical comfort zone

BTW, it just took an act of the Almighty to get this thread posted.    Man, I am going to put some comfort zone music on NOW.   :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My answer is very predictable indeed.  The Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult have been my musical comfort food for a long time.  Especially BOC, actually.  For whatever reason, their music just fits me perfectly.  Some mornings when I'm a weird mood or crappy mood or need a shot of energy on the way to work I put one of their CD's on and it straightens me out.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Hip hop is what I grew up with and what I'm most familiar with. But I also can't live without Soul, Punk Rock, Alt Rock/Indie Rock. Sometimes I just want to put on something really loud with guitars, other times I want some nice soulful singing. Depends on the mood I'm in and the weather as to what music I choose to listen to. I like switching up genres because then that genre sounds fresh when I listen to it for the first time in a while. I associate specific memories with some specific albums and those memories come back when I play them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

My core comfort zone is blues, r&b, soul, and rock 'n' roll from the 50's and (mostly) early 60's. I like the kind of music that lays down a groove that makes me want to move. Within those genres, I like both uptempo and slow songs. For example, I love doo-wop ballads and uptempo songs which I consider part of the 50's rock 'n' roll genre. In general, my comfort zone is music from an era that I was too young to experience when it was happening. For me, that music captured a special something that it never again matched. So give me that old time blues/r&b/soul/rock 'n' roll, that music soothes my soul. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

My answer changes all the time. I usually get stuck on certain bands for 3- 4 months at a time. Right now that's Radiohead and Nirvana. I knew that Radiohead was an OK band, but somehow avoided them previously. I'm sure if you like Pink Floyd (and I do), you will like Radiohead, even though they are different. Music heaven for me these days is listening to the Nirvana followed by the Radiohead albums non-stop, with the occasional break to do things (like eat, etc).

I've also been dabbling with some of the 60's music like The Beatles and The Jeff Beck Group. My view of the Beatles is different than it was 6 months ago. I like 3 of their albums a lot (Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Peppers), and would include 30-40 of their songs in my Top 1000 Songs Playlist.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I always feel most comfortable with a common 4/4 rock beat or blues shuffle with a bit of swing or power to it.  It's ubiquitous, but that also makes it interesting when it's done really well.

Example: CCR's cover of Whitfield/Strong's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"...goes on for 11 minutes but doesn't really feel like it.  It's a great song in its own right, but Creedence just nails it.  Drummer Doug Clifford keeps it shufflin', and then POW!...that crash cymbal turns a soul song into a rock song.  Brilliant...with that choogling guitar and the stoner jam solos, it's a bit of rock heaven.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -V-. Show -V-'s posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BTW, it just took an act of the Almighty to get this thread posted.    Man, I am going to put some comfort zone music on NOW.   :)

[/QUOTE]

In regards to posting url's that don't come out the way intended ...

A shot or two of 'Southern Comfort' helps.

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -V-. Show -V-'s posts

In regards to "comfort zone music".

I enjoy all of the above however for background music, when posting,

I prefer non-verbal 'space music'.

No classical music for me!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

My musical comfort zone has a few parts, but it's in large part characterized by ambient music.   Remember when we first discussed ambient music? It wasn't quite so vast in the same way we think about it now, but it's the foundation for me.  To simplify that grouping, I'm including all of the dream and trip hop music that are core for me.  One of my top groups, Massive Attack, plays a central role.   My comfort music also includes songs that seemingly drone on for at least 10 minutes of more.  Long, dreamy, repetitious, at times beat driven, almost like a quiet jam.   (Note: it would drive Sonics out of his mind -- heh!)   Another band, Explosions in the Sky, comprised of 3 guitars (occasionally a bass) and drum kit, that's it, and voiceless.  Purest ambient music you'd ever want to hear. 

Another part of my true comfort zone is  Loreena McKennitt's "Book of Secrets" which I fall back on time and again.  There's noting quite like it for me, and I absolutely love all of her albums. 

Thinking about this, my response was very easy in a way, but it also makes me realize how much I love so much more than the music that's in my comfort zone.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There's something unique about BOC's sound as well, and it took me a while to figure it out, but it finally occurred to me: the lead guitarist, Don Roeser (Buck Dharma) plays a hybrid of jazz and hard rock/metal.  His sound is very clean and fluid, sometimes echoing Carlos Santana, but he also has all the hard rock riffs and hooks you could possibly ask for. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Yoga!  MCZs are a terrible, boring, lazy waste of time....and I'd bet I am among the worst offenders here and anywhere.  I have a very obsessive nature.

I have to listen to my latest love over and over....but I do try to find new things to hear.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think I actually kind of mis-read this - I was thinking of the musical equivalent to 'comfort food' - what you turn to when you need to feel better.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -V-. Show -V-'s posts

[QUOTE]

My musical comfort zone has a few parts, but it's in large part characterized by ambient music.

Remember when we first discussed ambient music?

It wasn't quite so vast in the same way we think about it now, but it's the foundation for me.

To simplify that grouping, I'm including all of the dream and trip hop music that are core for me.

One of my top groups, Massive Attack, plays a central role.

My comfort music also includes songs that seemingly drone on for at least 10 minutes of more.

Long, dreamy, repetitious, at times beat driven, almost like a quiet jam.   (Note: it would drive Sonics out of his mind -- heh!)

Another band, Explosions in the Sky, comprised of 3 guitars (occasionally a bass) and drum kit, that's it, and voiceless.

Purest ambient music you'd ever want to hear. 

Another part of my true comfort zone is  Loreena McKennitt's "Book of Secrets" which I fall back on time and again.

There's nothing quite like it for me, and I absolutely love all of her albums.

Thinking about this, my response was very easy in a way, but it also makes me realize how much I love so much more than the music that's in my comfort zone.  

[/QUOTE]

My latest fave in 'Ambient Music' is this group from Oslo, Norway.

This cut goes 'on and on'.

Great background music while posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCzTX80EIQ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I think if I couldn't listen to Southside Johnny whenever I felt like it . . .   bad things might happen.

Very bad things.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think I actually kind of mis-read this - I was thinking of the musical equivalent to 'comfort food' - what you turn to when you need to feel better.  

[/QUOTE]

Looking at it now, I can see I left the door open for more than one interpretation.  :D  

I intended to ask about the comfort zone that's at a person's core, the music that brings you to your comfort zone (of sorts); that's what and where it all comes down to ---  similar to your roots.   In physical training, certainly in yoga, you can't accomplish anything until / unless you truly internalize what it means to use your core, b/c that is the foundation of your ability to explore further, and to attain depth as you advance.  So, for musical tastes, I feel it is similar -- there's something you always go back to -- that feels like home to you --- that stabilizes you,  musically, that gives and brings comfort, and that got you launched in the first place.  It's a very small subset, it has to be.   If it's not, then it's not your core, IMO.   Even for someone who engages in many sports, or who plays many musical instruments, or let's say, knows how to cook many types of cuisine ... there is still, a comfort zone, a core place, something that typifies where you are truly the happiest and what opened you up in the first place.

That's my take, anyhow.  

NOTE: Perhaps the headline of the thread threw the meaning off, but (at the time) I was so happy that I was able to post a thread, I just went with the first thing that came to mind. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My core comfort zone is blues, r&b, soul, and rock 'n' roll from the 50's and (mostly) early 60's. I like the kind of music that lays down a groove that makes me want to move. Within those genres, I like both uptempo and slow songs. For example, I love doo-wop ballads and uptempo songs which I consider part of the 50's rock 'n' roll genre. In general, my comfoMrt zone is music from an era that I was too young to experience when it was happening. For me, that music captured a special something that it never again matched. So give me that old time blues/r&b/soul/rock 'n' roll, that music soothes my soul. 

[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense to me. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always feel most comfortable with a common 4/4 rock beat or blues shuffle with a bit of swing or power to it.  It's ubiquitous, but that also makes it interesting when it's done really well.

Example: CCR's cover of Whitfield/Strong's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"...goes on for 11 minutes but doesn't really feel like it.  It's a great song in its own right, but Creedence just nails it.  Drummer Doug Clifford keeps it shufflin', and then POW!...that crash cymbal turns a soul song into a rock song.  Brilliant...with that choogling guitar and the stoner jam solos, it's a bit of rock heaven.

[/QUOTE]

This makes sense to me, as well, that song in particular.  Offhand, I'd associate your comfort / core zone to have lots of connection to bands / music that consists of jammin' ... even though you obviously have very vast and varied taste in music. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to -V-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In regards to "comfort zone music".

I enjoy all of the above however for background music, when posting,

I prefer non-verbal 'space music'.

No classical music for me!

[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that you are a big fan of "space" (or ambient) music, too, as I am.   It's a wide open genre, and that's a good thing.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to -V-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

My latest fave in 'Ambient Music' is this group from Oslo, Norway.

This cut goes 'on and on'.

Great background music while posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCzTX80EIQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCzTX80EIQ

[/QUOTE]

Very nice, thanks.    The video isn't up to your usual artsy standards, however.  :)   

NOTE: Congrats on getting a link to work properly, too.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hi Yoga!  MCZs are a terrible, boring, lazy waste of time....and I'd bet I am among the worst offenders here and anywhere.  I have a very obsessive nature.

I have to listen to my latest love over and over....but I do try to find new things to hear.

[/QUOTE]

It's one thing to have a "comfort zone" -- it's another thing to become complacent and stay there, Sonics. 

Here's a quote FOR YOU:

"When was the last time you did something for the first time?"   Isn't that the proverbial bottom line??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

This makes sense to me, as well, that song in particular.  Offhand, I'd associate your comfort / core zone to have lots of connection to bands / music that consists of jammin' ... even though you obviously have very vast and varied taste in music. 

[/QUOTE]

That's definitely true by association, but it also reflects my interest in blues, motown, and especially jazz in terms of modality, in which a common theme ties together mutual improvisations by the musicians.

Like some other genres, "jam bands" is a misnomer, as most can be distilled down to 'roots' or 'trad' rock with improv and other leanings.

Thing is, there's no real reason to jam out on a song like 'IHITTG", but they did anyway and made a minor classic rock masterpiece in the process.

The Funk Brothers were a 'jam band' who just happened to play on mainstream pop hits for the Motown label.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Thing is, there's no real reason to jam out on a song like 'IHITTG", but they did anyway and made a minor classic rock masterpiece in the process.

[/QUOTE]

My take on IHITTG is that Fogerty is an underrated guitar player.  For him to jam on and on like that and for it never to get tiresome shows what chops the guy had.

On the same album, 'Ramble Tamble' also has a pretty long stoner guitar sequence that is almost heavy metal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My take on IHITTG is that Fogerty is an underrated guitar player.  For him to jam on and on like that and for it never to get tiresome shows what chops the guy had.

On the same album, 'Ramble Tamble' also has a pretty long stoner guitar sequence that is almost heavy metal. 

[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that, too.  Like most of CCR, it may not be the flashiest or most technically dazzling stuff, but he makes it fit beautifully within the frame of that superb backbeat.

Ramble Tamble is a great deep track from a band that was more than the sum of its hits.

Still my favorite CCR album back-to-front....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I think having a musical comfort zone is neither good nor bad; it just is. Whether or not you expand beyond it says nothing about you. Some people like variety and some don't. I can't place a value judgement on a person who never moves beyond their comfort zone. Personally, I like variety, but mainly within a certain comfort zone. i don't think one needs to try to break out of that zone just because some may say it is "good for you." 

I actually think that most of the music I like has more similarities to each other than differences, at least to my ears. And i think that is just the point. Each of us perceives music with our own specially tuned receptors. We don't all hear things the same. I hear Howlin' Wolf as pop music while another may just hear the harshness of his voice. Some think of the Ramones and the Clash as crude punk but I hear the same thing in their music that I hear in the Beatles and girl groups. I think a lot of it has to do with the music we heard in our youth that we were attracted to and how it wired our brains and ears to react.

So really a comfort zone can be seen as an identifier of our personality. It gives a clue as to what makes us tick as an individual.