My alltime top 10 heavy rock/blues guitarists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My alltime top 10 heavy rock/blues guitarists

This is a completely subjective list, based on factors that only I can properly explain to himself.  Some of it is just done by feel.  My main criterion is simply 'body of recorded work'.  Which means that even though I know full well that if you put them on stage, Jeff Beck could play circles around Jimmy Page, I still think Page's body of work is superior.

This is not strictly my 'greatest' list and not strictly my 'favorites' list.  It's sort of a combination of the two.

Anyway it's all meant for fun.  Here goes.

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Ritchie Blackmore

4. Rory Gallagher

5. Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser

6. Tommy Bolin

7. Robin Trower

8. Slash

9. Johnny Winter

10. Pete Townshend

Here are my second ten, just because I hate not mentioning all these guys.

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton

Joe Bonamassa

Carlos Santana

Gary Moore

David Gilmour

Billy Gibbons

Angus Young

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: My alltime top 10 heavy rock/blues guitarists

This is always a hard one after number 6 because there are so many really , really good ones.

But, I would have to rate my "favorites" as:

1-6

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Eddie Van Halen

Ritchie Blackmore

Robin Trower

Carlos Santana

However, I could easily accept the following as equals to those 6:

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Michael Schenker

Peter Green

Alvin Lee

Rory Gallagher

Joe Satriani

Jeff Beck

Paul Kossoff

Jimmy Page

David Gilmour

Eric Johnson

Gary Moore

Steve Vai

but, every time I complete one of these lists, I always remember a few that I should have mentioned. I mean, where do guys like Lindsey Buckingham, Dave Davies and Mick Ralphs fit in?...they have had long careers with top-selling, famous bands, so it's really hard to minimize their work by not mentioning them among my favorites.

Amd what of Mick Taylor who appears on some of the best loved Rolling Stones albums?....how do you slight a guy like this?

This is really just too tough to do. I can name my favorite 10 novels, my favorite 10 T.V. shows , my favorite 10 movies...but I have lots of trouble nailing down anyithig related to music as a top 10.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great lists.

I've got to add in Warren Haynes, who is one of most fluid, capable and solid blues-rock guitarists out there today.  There seems to be no limit to what he can do at any given time.

Govt Mule's recent show at Hampton Beach has definitely re-ignited my admiration for Warren, for the Mule in general (horribly overlooked and underestimated, IMO), and for his endless collaborations and cameos where he's such a welcome presence.  

I'm not the only one.  The new Mule disc, Shout!, drops tomorrow and is accompanied by an alternate version of the album featuring familiar guests like Elvis Costello, Grace Potter, Steve Winwood, Dr. John, Glenn Hughes and others.  Talk about friends in high places!

Also:

Duane Allman, who's career was so tragically cut short but is still such a revelation on slide guitar.  Prodigious doesn't begin to describe how good he was at such a young age and how influential he would become. I love blues-rock, but when it incorporates jazz inflections and improv, then it truly becomes trancendant and more than the sum of its parts.  Duane knew this intimately, I think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

INPO:

Jimmy Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck

Gary Moore

David Gilmore

Ritchie Blackmore

Slash

Eddie Van Halen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hf - I reckon we are roughly the same age (though I couldn't care less).  I used to dig such playing, but for decades I've veered away from set pieces, look at me stuff.  I love short, sharp, primitive music.

My favourite contemporary git players are the relatively unknown Eddie Angel, and the totally unknown (to many) Chris Jack.

Chris is a great ....check this out....when he bought his Vox Starstream he just wanted to show off his new toy.....what can it do, no more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Let's add two guitarists from the 80's:

Jake E. Lee - Ozzy and Badlands (He is bad ass)

Tom Keifer - Cinderella (He finally released his solo album - check it out - worth the listen)

FYI - Jeff Beck belongs at the top of every list. Rating Page or Clapton over him is outright prejudice. They cannot touch him and they both will admit to it. Blew them both away at the Ronnie Laine ARMS shows back in the day.

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

This is a completely subjective list, based on factors that only I can properly explain to himself.  Some of it is just done by feel.  My main criterion is simply 'body of recorded work'.  Which means that even though I know full well that if you put them on stage, Jeff Beck could play circles around Jimmy Page, I still think Page's body of work is superior.

This is not strictly my 'greatest' list and not strictly my 'favorites' list.  It's sort of a combination of the two.

Anyway it's all meant for fun.  Here goes.

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Ritchie Blackmore

4. Rory Gallagher

5. Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser

6. Tommy Bolin

7. Robin Trower

8. Slash

9. Johnny Winter

10. Pete Townshend

Here are my second ten, just because I hate not mentioning all these guys.

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton

Joe Bonamassa

Carlos Santana

Gary Moore

David Gilmour

Billy Gibbons

Angus Young

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

Hf, I swear on my daughter's lives I am not now and have never been deliberately contrarian.  I love this place....I rarely go to the "Front Burner" anymore because it's - and I include myself in the blame game - so aggressive.  But if you dig git players, you might like this.

This vid is by a good mate of mine...IMO, a brilliant git player.  Hugely into the trad/analog/roots rock scene and relatively well known (in such microscene BS!)

And like many/all of us here...an ultra geek.  Got himself his first Starstream a few years ago and this is just a little demo of what it/he/they can do.

I love and admire him very much....but to me, the brilliance, is that you never see his face. It's all about the git.  xx

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Oh, btw, Eddie Angel is my favourite git player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Although Peter Greenberg blew me away last night.  Loved him from afar for 35 years but never saw him live before.  Would have cried from joy if I hadn't been laughing about the sheer brilliance of it all.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I've never been a big heavy guitar fan myself. But there are a few...

I love Jimi Hendrix, he was just so unique, in a league of his own.

Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic comes to mind.

Gotta throw Pete Townshend in there.

And on occasion, Richard Thompson plays some heavy electric stuff I get into.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

No love for Terry Kath?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRNkVzsJmk

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rantipole. Show Rantipole's posts

The tippy-top players are definitely all there: Hendrix, SRV, EvHalen. Actually, was surprised to see Van Halen not mentioned in the first post, even in his "second 10" list. I'd put him in the top 5 for sure. Truly an innovator in his time, which should count for something, right?

Also, Prince Rogers Nelson. Definitely better than David Gilmour, that's for sure.

I don't think I saw BB King anywhere. He's quite under-appreciated then. His guitar sound is simple, perhaps, but it takes sheer talent to get a guitar to sound like that.

I would also mention Marshall Crenshaw. No, I wouldn't quite put him on the top 10. But he is almost never mentioned among top guitar players, and he should be. If you study what he's doing on some of his songs, the chord progressions, etc, and how fluidly he manages them... that's some masterful guitar work. Definitely on par with Satriani, he just doesn't make as a big deal about it. Listen to some of his instrumental tracks.

I'm a huge Who fan, but I don't think Pete Townshend is up there. (Though I would definitely put John Entwistle way up there for bass players.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Rantipole's comment:

The tippy-top players are definitely all there: Hendrix, SRV, EvHalen. Actually, was surprised to see Van Halen not mentioned in the first post, even in his "second 10" list. I'd put him in the top 5 for sure. Truly an innovator in his time, which should count for something, right?

I'm a huge Who fan, but I don't think Pete Townshend is up there. (Though I would definitely put John Entwistle way up there for bass players.)

If I was going to do another list where the main criteria was virtuosity, Eddie Van Halen would be in my top five.  I understand that leaving him out of my top twenty makes me somewhat of a contrarian.  That's not really my intention.  I like him a lot.  My issue with Eddie is with his material.  There's a certain consistency and predictability that has always disappointed me.  That's why he just doesn't appeal to me personally as much as the ones on my list.