My My, Hey Hey -- Hey Hey, My My

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

My My, Hey Hey -- Hey Hey, My My

Two versions of the same song?  Different songs (although, not entirely...) ...

Do you know the subtitle for each?    Easy for you, perhaps, but not for me.  

Also, what's the key difference between the two versions, aside from the slight difference in the lyrics?  

This song, in both versions, has inspired and influenced many, many artists.  Sadly, a line from this song was used in a suicide note, as well.  Know the artist who included the line?

Lastly, has any other artist done anything even remotely close to what Neil Young did with this song, ie, two versions, slight variation in the lyrics, inverted title, with tricky differences?   Anyone else?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: My My, Hey Hey -- Hey Hey, My My

"Out of the Blue", "Into the Black."

The king is gone but he's not forgotten, this is the story of Johnny Rotten. It's better to burn out than to fade away. My, My, Hey ,Hey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Kurt Cobain included the line, I think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Beatles did it first. They recorded two versions of Revoultion. Not on the same LP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I believe the fast version of Revolution was only released as a single.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Neil Young also did two versions of another song.

Mr. Soul , originally recorded when he was with Buffalo Springfield also appears on his solo LP , Trans in a slightly different sounding version.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The song After The Goldrush tells of the arrival of extraterrestrials to save humanity from itelf.

"Look at mother nature on the run in the nineteen seventies..."

"Flying mother nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun..."

Nothing to do with the subject at hand , except it relates to another thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kurt Cobain included the line, I think.

[/QUOTE]

He quoted it in his apparant suicide note

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I love Neil's song "Burned" from his Buffalo Springfield days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQpE62mnx0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Mr. Neil Young. I have been his biggest fan longer than a lot of people have been alive. I have played albums such as After The Goldrush, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Rust Never Sleeps, Time Fades Away, On The Beach ( a personal favorite) , Comes A Time, Ragged Glory, Freedom, This Note's For You and his debut LP countless times.

Neil Young albums would be the last of my collection I'd part with , if I ever had to part with any.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jimi Hendrix has 2 songs with similar titles on his album Electric Ladyland.There's "Voodoo Chile" and "Voodoo Child (Slight return)".Those are 2 different songs,similar sounding names and both on the same album

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I guess that's why it's a "slight return."

How about McCartney's "Junk" and "Singalong Junk".....one has words the other does not.

I think many of these are what they call a "reprise" ...a repetition of a phrase or verse. A return to the original theme. Again, the Beatles did this with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(reprise).

And ironically the name of the record label Neil Young released many of his albums under.

This relates back to the Neil Young theme nicely...doesn't it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Mr. Neil Young. I have been his biggest fan longer than a lot of people have been alive. I have played albums such as After The Goldrush, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Rust Never Sleeps, Time Fades Away, On The Beach ( a personal favorite) , Comes A Time, Ragged Glory, Freedom, This Note's For You and his debut LP countless times.

Neil Young albums would be the last of my collection I'd part with , if I ever had to part with any.

[/QUOTE]

I love Neil Young too, even though I am not as well versed in his recordings as you are. Got to see him live at SPAC around the time of Freedom and he put on a great show.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

First concert I ever saw was Stills/ Young Band in Providence 1976....Neil and Stephen won me over for life with that performance, I was already a big fan.

Opening band Poco stopped playing when a firecracker was set off. The same thing happened when Neil was playing....he did not skip a beat. Already a true veteran of the Rock circuit, I get the idea nothing short of a Nuclear bomb would stop his music.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] The song After The Goldrush tells of the arrival of extraterrestrials to save humanity from itelf.

"Look at mother nature on the run in the nineteen seventies..."

"Flying mother nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun..."

Nothing to do with the subject at hand , except it relates to another thread. [/QUOTE]

Yes it does, and that's fine, esp. since you weren't around yesterday for the discussion on the Northern Lights.   I also mentioned that I was sorry that it didn't turn out to be a space ship; then again, if it had been, I would not have been here to write about it.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
    They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Singing come sail away,come sail away,come sail away with me lads

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Mr. Neil Young. I have been his biggest fan longer than a lot of people have been alive. I have played albums such as After The Goldrush, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Rust Never Sleeps, Time Fades Away, On The Beach ( a personal favorite) , Comes A Time, Ragged Glory, Freedom, This Note's For You and his debut LP countless times.  Neil Young albums would be the last of my collection I'd part with , if I ever had to part with any. 

Nice going, everyone.   Spot on.  

BTW,  similar to what Zilla said in terms of two versions, one of the differences in these two songs is that "Hey Hey, My My" is on electric;  "My My, Hey Hey" is played acoustic (hope I got that right, and not reversed).   

And Zilla, I do think of you as a Neil Young expert, so I figured you'd be all over this one.  You've also lavished Neil Young with praise consistently, not only regarding his music career, but as a human being.  I hope he doesn't burn out for a long time to come.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Dave Matthews does a great cover of this song.  Better than one would think.  Ditto for "Down by The River".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Neil Young also opened and closed 'Freedom' with the same song done slightly differently, 'Rockin' In The Free World."

The Stones did 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'Country Honk' on different LPs , it is the same song....I believe similar to the My , My, Hey , Hey  in that one is electric , one acoustic.

Here's a similar twist on this subject:

'Heart of the City', a song written by Nick Lowe, was released on the album Tracks on Wax by Dave Edmunds with Edmunds taking lead vocals. The same song was released by Lowe in a live version on his Pure Pop For Now People ( Jesus Of Cool in U.K) with Lowe taking lead vocals. The kicker is the band was the same lineup...Lowe on bass, Edmunds on rhythm guitar, Billy Bremner on lead guitar, Terry Williams on drums....(a.k.a. Rockpile). Rockpile only released one LP under the name Rockpile, but many of the solo LPs by Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds from the late 70s, early 80s are actually  Rockpile albums.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I got tickets to his upcoming show.  Can't wait.  I saw him once before at the Orpheum when he was doing a solo acoustic show.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I got tickets to his upcoming show.  Can't wait.  I saw him once before at the Orpheum when he was doing a solo acoustic show.

[/QUOTE]

Saw him @The Orpheum on his Harvest Moon tour.I have seen him about thirty times in different configurations.Still listening to his latest release.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Thought this was the best thread to append this to. Although our friend JE will probably not be impressed, I found it interesting to see that Patti Smith will be touring with Neil Young. And here is her cover of Neil's "After the Gold Rush" from her latest album Banga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wz7jiMLhM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Def Leppard's hit "Rock of Ages" quotes this song.

Alright, I got something to say

"It's better to burn out than fade away"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1V8GtZjWFQ

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Def Leppard's hit "Rock of Ages" quotes this song.

Alright, I got something to say

"It's better to burn out than fade away"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1V8GtZjWFQ

[/QUOTE]

Yet, the funny thing about Neil Young and Def Leppard is that neither one did.

Neil Young was speaking about Punk mentality in his song. Punk was never meant to last, it was more a movement to shake the music world out of it's stupor. Much of POPULAR MUSIC  had become very high tech, flamboyant and just so over-produced. Punk did what it was meant to do, then many of the artists "burned up"...others returned in different groups, Johnny Lydon and Stiv Bators for example. But the whole meaning of this is more directed at the Punk movement than any individual artist, but I think most people did not take it that way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And the good part of Def Leppard is that when they started in the 70's, the one thing they did not want to be was a Punk band. They wanted high energy rock and roll.

Regarding two of the same song, especially when it comes to the legendary bands, you will find that there is a second version to many songs. There are two versions of Love Me Do. One with Ringo on drums and the one which most are familiar with which has Ringo on tamborine only. You can find many of these 2nd versions on band anthologies or rarities albums.

I think one of the most famous is from the band I saw yeserday, Cheap Trick. The studio version of "I Want You To Want Me' has a real country feel. The live version which became a mega-hit is pure and easy Rock and Roll.

Sections
Shortcuts