Name That Band - 4/19

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Name That Band - 4/19

- This band reunited just this year after a 7-8 year hiatus to record an album of new material;

- 90s alternative radio fixture from the upper midwest; first recording in 1986; first major label recording in 1991;

- shares background with like-minded alt-country and alt-folk acts like Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, though perhaps a bit more pop-inflected;

- one of the primary band members was married to a folk singer/songwriter well known for her intense solo live performances and unmistakable vocal delivery; she even had an album dedicated to her;

- the two primary band members toured briefly as a duo in 2005-2006 -- the first time since one of them left the band in 1995 (thereby changing the direction of the group); the marquee read partially "Together Again"; an album by these two followed in 2009.

Name that band...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Name That Band - 4/19

all i can come up with is Gear Daddies...a lot of it makes sense

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

This is a great album.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I didn't really cheat, but I came close, so I'll just say the initials: B.T.  ??

ETA (since jkj probably got it as always ...) Blues Traveler

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Name That Band - 4/19:
    This is a great album.
    Posted by jkjband

WINNER!!

Great album, indeed.  I've been a big fan since its release.  Their re-forming seems prescient given the recent emphasis on 'neo-folk' acts and country-tinged rock.  Great melodies...excellent songs...distinctive harmonies from the two leads Mark Olson and Gary Louris...there's a lot to like.  It's been interesting to see the two career paths followed by The Jayhawks and Wilco - two sides of an inherent midwestern sensibility and two of the best practioners of the genre.

Songs for further listening:

Waiting For The Sun
    Settled Down Like Rain
    Wichita
    I'd Run Away
    Miss Williams' Guitar
    Big Star
    Save It For A Rainy Day
    I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
    Sixteen Down
    A Break In The Clouds
    Better Days
    See Him On The Street

Trivia Fun: Producer George Drakoulias (a Rick Rubin protege) also broke the Black Crowes into the mainstream and helped produce Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" LP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Name this band:  They do alternative rock, grundge and alternative metal.  They were formed in the 80's, on the West Coast, and won Grammys in the 90's.  The one hit song concerns an astronomical feature that has a singularity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

soundgarden?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

gerbs, you got it.  Soundgarden won a Grammy for Black Hole Sun.
         Now seriously, anybody, did I make the trivia question too easy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

YES (which isn't to say that gerbs isn't smart, by any means).   You're not around on a regular basis, so I don't think you have any idea who you're dealing with around here.   This group?  Try getting anything past them.  Not possible.  Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

This Alternative Rock band, of West Coast origin, did a hit song, mid 90's, that may have something to do with the death of his girlfriend but to me, it might have more than one meaning.  This song has the same name as a town in California.

Name that band .....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Everclear?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Name That Band - 4/19:
    Everclear?
    Posted by gerbs

gerbs, you are right again.  Thank You.  Most likely, you know, the song I gave as a clue was Santa Monica.

Sections
Shortcuts