Name that band.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Name that band.

They recorded a song in 1977 that became a huge hit for someone else.

Only one member has been present for the whole life of the band.

During their most prolific period, the guitarist, bassist and drummer all contribute vocals, the keyboardist does not sing.

The original lineup consisted of two brothers who have also been together in a band fronted by a prominent British rockstar.

The one permanent member has recorded solo ( and is best known for his solo work) and had a huge hit in a previous band with a four-letter name. This rocker is the main songwriter and is also well respected as a producer.

Name the band....the frontman/founder....and the song that was a #1 single on the Billboard Adult Contemporary list in 1979 for a Texas singing duo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Name that band.

I'm leaning toward Poco, but I don't know the song or if any of them were brothers...

...I'm stumped.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

is styx the four letter band name?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Name that band.:
    [QUOTE]is styx the four letter band name?
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

No, think earlier than that.

I hate to give any more clues , because this group of rock fans is incredibly hard to stump for even an hour.

But, I will just add that you know the frontman/founder very well for his solo work, you very likely own more than one LP that he has produced , but the two brothers of which I refer were short lived in the two bands they are associated with....they have also played with a very significant figure in Punk rock...and their father was a celebrity , perhaps more famous than them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You done good with this one Zilla.  Usually getting a music trivia question past this group is like trying to swim past a school of sharks in a bathing suit made of chum. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]You done good with this one Zilla.  Usually getting a music trivia question past this group is like trying to swim past a school of sharks in a bathing suit made of chum. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I know this to be a fact. I really thought I had this bunch with the George Young question. Apparently I gave too many clues.

But, so far, I am not getting too proud of myself. I started this thread late on a Friday, and I am thinking many of our brilliant minds haven't viewed it yet.

I'll check back Monday at lunchtime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Todd Rundgren/ Utopia or Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

But Jake, it it's Dire Straits, this doesn't seem to fit for me:

The original lineup consisted of two brothers who have also been together in a band fronted by a prominent British rockstar.

What prominent British rockstar would that be?
    Also, I can't think of a Dire Straits song that was covered by a Texas duo with greater success, though maybe I have a blind spot where Texas is concerned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Name that band.:
    [QUOTE]They recorded a song in 1977 that became a huge hit for someone else. Only one member has been present for the whole life of the band. During their most prolific period, the guitarist, bassist and drummer all contribute vocals, the keyboardist does not sing. The original lineup consisted of two brothers who have also been together in a band fronted by a prominent British rockstar. The one permanent member has recorded solo ( and is best known for his solo work) and had a huge hit in a previous band with a four-letter name. This rocker is the main songwriter and is also well respected as a producer. Name the band....the frontman/founder....and the song that was a #1 single on the Billboard Adult Contemporary list in 1979 for a Texas singing duo.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Well it isn't BOC. I might hazzard a guess at The McCoys (Rick Derringer), but not sure. Sparks is another guess. Another brother duo - Sales Bro's who played with Rundgreen, Iggy and were members of Bowie's Tin Machine. Are the Vaughn or Winter Bro's part of this equation. I am so frustrated cause I should know this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

But Jake, it it's Dire Straits, this doesn't seem to fit for me: The original lineup consisted of two brothers who have also been together in a band fronted by a prominent British rockstar. What prominent British rockstar would that be? Also, I can't think of a Dire Straits song that was covered by a Texas duo with greater success, though maybe I have a blind spot where Texas is concerned.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

I went with them because of the brother thing and Mark being the solo rockstar / producer... as far as Texas duo ??? 

But Tod Rung. does work for the song writer / producer Texas thing and Band frontman but I don't know about the brother thing.

You have just entered the vast gouge of how my mind works ...  enjoy.

edit: after giving more thought I'm leaning more towards the Tod R / Utopia side of the equation, it's just that I do not know all that much about Utopia (Either the group or the mental state) to say for sure

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The Kinks...............................Undecided

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Todd Rundgren started in the group Nazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dwSOoQXgQU

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Was his brother in it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay you've done extremely well reasoning this one out.

And jkjband has the answer to the band and frontman with Utopia/Todd Rundgren.

jesseyeric has the answer to who the two brothers are when he mentioned the Sales brothers, Tony and Hunt. Their father was comedian Soupy Sales....they played with Iggy Pop (the Punk rocker)...they played in Tin Machine with David Bowie ( the British rockstar)...they were in the early experimental version of Utopia before the group recorded their early LP's.

Todd Rundgren is the frontman/founder and only member to be in the band from inception. He has produced LPs for Meatloaf ( Bat Out Of Hell) , he has produced Hall & Oates , New York Dolls, the Tubes, Grand Funk,XTC, CHEAP TRICK, Patti Smith, Psychedlic Furs, Shaun Cassidy, Bad Religion,Steve Hillage and alternative band ,The Pursuit of Happiness.

When I said you likely own one or more albums "produced" by Todd Rundgren, it's hard to imagine a record collection that does not contain at least one of these LPs.

The huge hit I refer to was "Open My Eyes" recorded by Todd's first group with a four-letter name (the Nazz...guessed correctly by Mr. Devildavid) but Todd also had a second group with a four-letter name 'Runt' which included Tony and Hunt Sales, they also had a big hit 'We Got To Get You a Woman' ...so either one of those fits the clue.

Now for the part nobody has guessed yet.

'Love Is The Answer' was the closing track on the great Utopia LP , 'Oops! Wrong Planet.'  This song ( recorded in 1977 and written by Todd) was made into a huge hit single when covered by England Dan and John Ford Coley ( Texas Duo). Utopia never matched the popularity and sales of this single with any of their single releases or with any of their songs on album oriented FM radio. In fact the foursome ( during their most productive period) Kasim Sulton-bass, vocals, Roger Powell-keyboards, sythesizers and trumpet, Willie Wilcox -drums, vocals,and Todd-guitar and vocals, recorded prolifically through the 80's with very little commercial notice on FM radio or MTV...although Todd's solo work and production success continued to get commercial attention.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Good one Zilla
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I can say that this is a partial victory.

In the past every piece of trivia that I have come up with has barely fooled this group for more than an hour.

While jkjband and jesseyeric were unto the clues and had most of the answer , nobody guessed 'Love is the Answer' as the Utopia song that was a huge hit for another ( and very different style) artist.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, it was a group effort, at the very least.  

I don't think I could ever put together an ID query that would require a 5 paragraph explanation at the end, no matter how you look at it, so hats off to you.  :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am very upset with myself. Good thing it was a good poker night.