Name That Song

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Name That Song

What 1968 Hard Rock song has been rerecorded by at least 20 other bands and performed live by an additional half dozen or so? This is so easy and yet, maybe not. Clues will follow if you haven't figured it out in a couple of hours.

Q magazine ranks it in its top 50 guitar tracks of all-time.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Name That Song

In Response to Re: Name That Song:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm, knee-jerk answer for me would be something from Hendrix, except I can't come up with many covers of his tunes.  Clapton doesn't quite fit either.   Gotta be something by the Beatles or the Stones, and when you say guitar track I'm leaning towards a Stones tune.  Jumpin' Jack Flash?  Lot of covers, not sure about the exact year it came out though.  Need more clues before I'd bet money on my guess.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Slim,you must be a carpenter,because I think you nailed it with Jumping Jack Flash.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

he said hard rock though. he might have picked cheap trick :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

I know there were a few covers of JJF but I think this fits with more,  and it fits the "Heavy Metal Thunder" 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf I know there were a few covers of JJF but I think this fits with more,  and it fits the "Heavy Metal Thunder" 
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Very good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

None to all the above, but it started warm. And with each new comment, you seem to move farther away.

One last clue - it was written as a kind of response to "I Can See For Miles" by the Who.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gonna have to go with one of your personal faves then...Helter Skelter?  (If it is I would guess a lot of the bands that covered were heavy metal bands.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Gonna have to go with one of your personal faves then...Helter Skelter?  (If it is I would guess a lot of the bands that covered were heavy metal bands.)
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Good man hfx. Figured someone had to catch on to that considering I started a thread on this song last year. But was cpvered by bands not in the Metal genre:

Husker Du, U2, Urban Dance Squad, Pat Benetar all released a version of Helter Skelter on live albums.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i was gonna say that, but i didn't.  so obvious!  i even read that backstory about it being in response to the who in the beatles book i'm reading last night. 

following a review of the who: "Forget Happy Jack sitting in sand on the Isle of Man, this marathon epic of swearing cymbals and cursing guitars marks the return of the Who as a major freak-out force.  Recorded in America, it's a Pete Townshend composition filled with townshend mystery and menace, and delivered by the emphatic Mr. Roger Daltry."

Paul says "I thought, 'That's a pity.  I would like to do something like that.'  Then I heard it and it was nothing like it.  It was straight and sophisticated.  So we did this [Helter Skelter].  I like noise."

I love how that quote ends.  I like noise.  Ain't it the truth?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think jkjband's answer 'Born to Be Wild' may also have been correct.  A quick perusal of Wikipedia shows about 20 cover versions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I think jkjband's answer 'Born to Be Wild' may also have been correct.  A quick perusal of Wikipedia shows about 20 cover versions.

Wasn't from 1968, though.   The date was in JE's question.   So, so close, though.  I noticed it when I looked it up.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name That Song : Wasn't from 1968, though.   The date was in JE's question.   So, so close, though.  I noticed it when I looked it up.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...looks like it was first recorded in 1967 but first released in 1968.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Now which song was harder - Born to Be Wild or Helter Skelter?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Now which song was harder - Born to Be Wild or Helter Skelter?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Helter Skelter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name That Song : Helter Skelter

Absolutely - if this was not a proto-type of what was to become Metal, then I don't know. it was as heavy as anything Blue Cheer did, IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

This 60's Bubblegum song's title can be found in your grocery store in many different forms.  Name this non-hard rock tune.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Lollipop

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]This 60's Bubblegum song's title can be found in your grocery store in many different forms.  Name this non-hard rock tune.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Sugar Sugar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name That Song : Sugar Sugar
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]
    Gerbs, very good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

What 1968 Bubblegum tune sang about an emotion being in the digestive part of the body?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Yummy Yummy Yummy??

Yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Yummy Yummy Yummy?? Yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy.....
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]
    EnjoyEverySandwich, Excellant deduction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The title of this 1966 Bubblegum song, about a girl, sounds like the name of a vegetable.  Name that tune.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts