Name the song that was a hit for two bands.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Name the song that was a hit for two bands.

A mostly forgotten synth-pop/progressive band from Great Britain had a hit in 1984 with a song that reached #46 on the U.K. charts and it reached #31 in the U.S. and later # 13 in the U.K. when it was re-released in 1990 as part of a greatest hits package. ( it had been re-released before and did poorly).

The song was covered in 2003 and reached #10 in the U.S. for a California Alternative rock band fronted by a female singer.

Do you know the song.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Name the song that was a hit for two bands.

Talk Talk - It's My Life

Gwen Steffani - No Doubt

No offence to Gwen but the original was much better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, totes.  nice one zil, as soon as i saw the california alt group and also girl singer i knew it.  i mentioned in another thread how i saw a documentary on fishbone on pbs (a show called afropop or something) and gwen and tony from no doubt were talking about how fishbone inspired them and they basically tried to emulate their live shows.  if you don't know much about fishbone, check them out.  the original lineup has pretty much reunited...i guess they were on jimmy fallon last night, but i missed it.  i know questlove is a huge fan. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Name the song that was a hit for two bands.:
    [QUOTE]Talk Talk - It's My Life Gwen Steffani - No Doubt No offence to Gwen but the original was much better.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the one.

Congrats, jkj!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Agreed the remake is inferior.

I have an phenomenal, extended mix of "It's My Life" that was downloaded by me in the early days of a certain music-sharing site.  It has the longer intro with the emphasized bass line that the re-make pivoted off of...

To date, I haven't heard or seen another one like it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think Talk, Talk is one of the overlooked, really good artists of the post punk era.