Name This Band...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Name This Band...

Clues:

- British band first active in 1997 and still featuring its original lineup
    - Eclectic sound centering on blues, british folk and late beatles-esque psychedelic pop bordering on the experimental;
    - Unique for having three lead vocalists among its five members;
    - Latest LP drops in a week or two (it's already out in the UK - first single is pretty damm sweet)
    - Breakout disc released in 2006 - a few songs of which have been conspicuously featured on TV shows; one song in particular has received heavy airplay on adult-alt radio;
    - I've mentioned them a few times as a current favorite of mine;

Questions:

1) What band is this? 
    2) What is their current American label?
    3) What is this label's claim to fame?
    4) Their arguably best well-known song (referred to above) was featured prominently in an episode of a very popular TV drama (their 2nd on the show, btw).  What else links this episode with the band...?
    5) They contributed a cover version to a (fairly) recent album paying tribute to a celebrated classic roots-rock band.  What was the song and feted band...??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Name This Band...

OMG.  You decided to unleash all of your "who is this" fury in one post?  Do you really think this is fair?

It can't be the Fray.   But that's all I got.

The two specific bands that I can think of that you speak about as favorites don't fit the description at all (The Black Keys and Mumford & Sons).   Then again, you're not exactly known for being predictable for your musical tastes (other than the jammin' bands).   I'm just trying to remember other bands that you've plugged as a fave.   Where is ph?  If he can't get this, the rest of us don't stand a chance. 
    Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I think it's fair, but then I know who it is.  ;)  They are not a jam band - rather "a band that jams" (as Gregg Allman has been known to say about his own group).

All of these clues are searchable.  (Hint: the chronology is key)

Plenty more where this one came from....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ahhh...i've been racking my brain. i don't know much about the tv shows, but the only one that adds up to me right now is the kaiser chiefs. i'm not so sure that is correct though. some things don't add up. i'll try again after lunch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - did they release their first recording in 97 or just formed in 97?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Name This Band...:
    Matty - did they release their first recording in 97 or just formed in 97?
    Posted by jesseyeric

Formed in '96.  Signed in '97.  First LP in '98.

Sorry if that was unclear...I should have been more specific.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think Coldplay started around that time, but Chris Martin defines the band, so that's not it.

Has this band ever charted in the top 40?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Muse????  If it is, their 2006 Album "Black Holes and Revalations," was pretty big. Label Warner Brothers.

That's all I have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Based on the clues, Muse may have been a bit early. But it is a damn good guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Based on the clues, Muse may have been a bit early. But it is a damn good guess.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jess:

You are right about the timeline. For some reason, I think it may be Muse, because Matty has mentioned them a few times in his posts, and based on some of his cryptic clues. However, I'm not sure if they are coming out with a new release anytime soon, so that may be the killer. Honestly, I just can't think of another British band that fits, outside of Coldplay, and you already suggested them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's not muse...three lead singers is key, but it's also what's throwing me off...muse has 3 members, one singer. also, the experimental aspect is throwing me too. i'm going to spend all day on this

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Come on Matty - we need another clue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Far be it for me to say Muse is a long shot, but I think it is, mainly b/c it's way too obvious and mainstream at this point.  Unless Matty's pulling a fast one, Muse is not tricky enough.

I have gone over every band I can think of, and none of them fit the criteria, the main one being that it's a British band. 

It's not the Arctic Monkeys or Blur, either.   It's also not the Bends, Stone Roses, or My Bloody Valentine.

ph did hazard a guess, and it hasn't been refuted yet, and he's never been wrong, so it's probably the Kaiser Chiefs.   Still, the rest of the questions go unanswered ...

American record label : Fiction?
    Claim to fame: The end-user can download the songs as desired, that is, you compile your own album.  

Need more clues, or we're sunk on the rest.  :D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

too many things don't add up with the kaiser chiefs. def not muse though, they are a 3 piece.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

too many things don't add up with the kaiser chiefs. def not muse though, they are a 3 piece.
    Posted by phsmith8

Well, they had a release in the UK recently, and it's coming to the USA in a couple of weeks. 

It is nearly impossible to use all of the clues and come up with the any band that makes sense.   The bit about having the song played on a tv show is really throwing me off, too, b/c we already discussed the music of the National.  It's not Massive Attack b/c they don't fit the chronology. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Some good guesses, but no winners yet...

Another clue:

- The TV show mentioned in the first post (4) is "House M.D.", however the band has also been featured on "Gray's Anatomy", and one of their songs was actually the title theme of the very short-lived (though quite good, IMHO) FX series, "The Riches".

(Sorry to keep y'all waiting...I was off the grid this weekend....)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i just googled that last clue, and i found out the answer, but i will admit that i have never heard of this band. at the very least, i don't remember hearing them or of them at all. i'll have to check them out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yeah, that was tough. I did guess the Fray who had a big hit after being featured on Grey's Anatomy (which I no longer watch), but that was a few years ago.   As for "House" -- since we covered the National, all I could think of was Massive Attack (talk about a band whose name has a great connection to the subject matter of the show) -- and I knew it wasn't Josh Radin (choke) whose tunes are associated with House, Parenthood, etc.

I won't say I knew this by a long shot, but when I was looking over lists of band names, I did see Gomez, and thought, nope, can't be a band named Gomez.  :D

Looks like the label's claim to fame is Dave Matthews? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

ph and yoga share the prize...!! 

Answers revealed:

1) Gomez

2, 3) Label: ATO - part-owned by Dave Matthews and also home to Jack Johnson, Liz Phair, My Morning Jacket, Warren Haynes, and various other notables. 

4) House M.D.; episode: "Half-Wit" (season 3); Song: "See The World"; Dave Matthews himself guest stars as a savant piano prodigy; a visual example of the theory of musical recall.

5) They perform "Up On Cripple Creek" on a recent tribute to The Band, "Endless Highway".

Given the dearth of familiarity, look for the Gomez thread coming soon...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Would never have guessed this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm slightly surprised to have stumped this formidable crowd. 

Their song "See The World", from 2006's "How We Operate" should be at least a little familiar. 

Highly recommended.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm definitely going to check it out...there aren't many bands with "indie cred" that i'm not familiar with, but this is definitely one of them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great!

I'd love for folks to check back here once they've taken a listen. 

Hopefully I didn't misrepresent....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What do you think was staring at me when I walked into Newbury Comics today?  The new Gomez album.   Would never have given it a second thought had it not been for this thread.   Music Forum magic.   :D

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

ph and yoga share the prize...!!  Answers revealed: 1) Gomez 2, 3) Label: ATO - part-owned by Dave Matthews and also home to Jack Johnson, Liz Phair, My Morning Jacket, Warren Haynes, and various other notables.  4) House M.D.; episode: "Half-Wit" (season 3); Song: "See The World"; Dave Matthews himself guest stars as a savant piano prodigy; a visual example of the theory of musical recall. 5) They perform "Up On Cripple Creek" on a recent tribute to The Band, "Endless Highway". Given the dearth of familiarity, look for the Gomez thread coming soon...
    Posted by MattyScornD

That was a tough one. I was away, and just checked in to see the answer and I was completely stumped. To be honest, I've never really followed Gomez, but I like your taste in music , so I will definitely listen.

Sections
Shortcuts