Name this frontman.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Name this frontman.

Thought I'd throw this one out there for kicks on a slow day.

I was frontman for 4 hard rock groups.

One of the groups is relatively unknown or obscure.

The other three are very well known.

The first group I sang with is the obscure group, the 2nd was formed by a very famous nonsinging rocker, the third group I sang with was already legendary when I joined them and my final group was my own.

Who am I? (And name the 4 groups).

This is about a 4 out of 10 on a hardness scale where 10 is very hard.

I can think of about 3 or 4 of you who shouldn't be stumped for very long.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Name this frontman.

Didn't expect to fool anyone with this one, but sure was hoping to at least get a few wrong guesses.

Yes , now without cheating, can anyone guess the first group Dio sang with? They opened for Deep Purple on an American tour, which is where Ritchie Blackmore discovered Ronnie.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i googled it, and i had never even heard of his first band. very interesting zilla!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

At first, I was thinking Sammy Hagar, except he had his own band third (and fifth)....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Name this frontman.:
    In Response to Re: Name this frontman. : The first one as Elf, from whence Glenn Hughs came as well, and replaced Roger Gover on bass on DP's Burn and Stormbringer, which drove Ritchie out forever. So Ritchie picked up Ronnie for Rainbow. Ain't that a tangled web!
    Posted by GreginMeffa

True that Glenn Hughes and Ritchie were often at odds with each other, and Blackmore left because of it. The "forever" part...well, there was a reformation of the MK. 2 lineup in the 80's before Steve Morse replaced Ritchie.

I recall Glenn Hughes also played went solo for a while, played in a group called Trapeze ( Black Cloud is a real cool song) and took lead vocals on a later Sabbath LP.

The personality differences must have been severe as I always thought "Burn" was truly one of the great Deep Purple LPs (Stormbringer wasn't too shabby either), the dueling vocals between Coverdale and Hughes were pretty innovative as most Heavy Metal and Hard Rock bands usually had only one vocalist.

I was thinking of Dio last night while hearing the latest updates about Casey Anthony's Future...for some reason the lyrics of Rainbow's 'Gates of Babylon' came to mind. SLEEP WITH THE DEVIL AND THEN YOU MUST PAY...SLEEP WITH THE DEVIL , THE DEVIL WILL TAKE YOU AWAY...

Like God, the Devil works in strange ways also, perhaps he is waiting his chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Deep Purple and Black Sabbath families have been very communal...very communal indeed.

Ian Gillan did the Born Again album with Sabbath, and recently Glenn Hughes has teamed up with Tony Iommi on a couple of albums.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Name this frontman.:
    The Deep Purple and Black Sabbath families have been very communal...very communal indeed. Ian Gillan did the Born Again album with Sabbath, and recently Glenn Hughes has teamed up with Tony Iommi on a couple of albums.    
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

The album Gillian did with Sabbath really hooked me. Zero the Hero!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think hard rock music really stems from the Yardbirds to Cream to Hendrix.

The ashes of the Yardbirds grew into Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple takes what Hendrix did to a slightly different direction adding killer keyboards , while Black Sabbath took the heavy sound from Cream and Hendrix and added macabre image and disturbing themes.

So, the parallel that exists between Black Sabbath and Deep Purple is that they grew from the same country at the same time, both adding a heavier sound that psychedlic and folk rock weren't exploring. Deep Purple branched out toward a Prog rock direction ( many do not categorize them as Metal, because of the magnificent keyboard work of Jon Lord), Black Sabbath invented ( or at the very least expanded upon) a sinister , dark, satanic image that would come to indentify bands as "Heavy Metal."

These bands have a parallel existence similar to the Alice Cooper, David Bowie parallel that existed around the same time frame. Both were indroducing visual art to the stage show. Alice Cooper was American and Bowie British, but again, the music was exploring or heading down the same path...Bowie using more Sci-Fi themes, Alice used mor Horror themes but the music itself was right in synch with the times. Fans of Rock wanted a harder edge, more rebellious, freaky looking singers (misfits, who were almost comic book characters, but sort of anti-heroes).

I was young in those days, as were many of you. Truly, these bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were the next step. They went beyond the Beatles, the Stones, the Who , they went beyond Cream, Grand Funk, Jefferson Airplane. They were really almost otherwordly, they played so loud, so heavy, the musicians were so cool , almost unreal...it was reality for them but it was like a fantasy to us.

Sections
Shortcuts