National Women's History Month : March 2013 (Let's hear it for women in music)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

National Women's History Month : March 2013 (Let's hear it for women in music)

A topic near and dear to your hearts -- girls, ladies, women, chicks.  All good.  

One of the (many) nice things about this forum is the respect you (we) all have for women in music, no matter how that is expressed.  :-)   I have no issues with noticing or liking hotness, either, if that's the case.   Hot and talented are a fine mix, and hotness is often in the eye of the beholder.   That's rock n roll.  

Let's do a little celebrating / honoring / shout out-ing for favorite women in music -- any era, any genre.    

Any ground-breaking albums / historical moments, too.    

Links to or mentions of songs, if you're so inspired.     Go for it.  

NOTE:  The actual theme of Women's History Month 2013:

Women Inspiring Innovation through Imagination: Celebrating Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.  

Some of the women being honored are true pioneers in their respective fields.   Physicians, engineers, technologists, programmers, architects, physicists, geologists, astronomers, neurobiologists, astronauts, botanists, chemists, scientists, geographers, astrophysicists -- for the life of me, I am humbled just reading the list.   A chick with a slide rule is one self-assured chick.   :-)   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: National Women's History Month : March 2013 (Let's hear it for women in music)

BTW, the Berklee College of Music announced their commencement speaker this week, speaking of women in music.

Try not to be too envious:  Annie Lennox, Commencement Speaker for the Class of 2013.  

Per the Berklee announcement:

Annie Lennox, singer, songwriter, activist, and one of the finest musical voices of our time, is celebrated as an innovator and icon. Born in Scotland, she studied at the Royal Academy of Music in London, where she met Dave Stewart and formed Eurythmics. The duo sold more than 75 million albums, with more than 20 international hits.

In 1990, Lennox’s solo debut, Diva, entered the UK charts at No. 1, selling 6 million copies worldwide. Lennox is an ambassador for UNAIDS, Oxfam, Amnesty International, and the British Red Cross. After witnessing the plight of women and children struggling with HIV in South Africa, she founded the SING campaign to help prevent the spread of the virus.

Her accolades include eight BRIT Awards, 10 Grammy nominations and four Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, an Academy Award, the American Music Awards Lifetime Achievement, Billboard's Century Award, the Nobel Peace Laureates Woman of Peace Award, and a Lifetime Achievement from the Inspiration Awards for women. In 2011 she was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in recognition of her humanitarian work.

ALSO, per honoring women:   Carole King will be receiving an honorary doctorate.  

On commencement eve, as is Berklee's tradition, students will pay tribute to the honorees by performing music associated with their careers at the Agganis. The concert and ceremony are not open to the public. 

Sorry everyone.  No crashers allowed.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: National Women's History Month : March 2013 (Let's hear it for women in music)

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A topic near and dear to your hearts -- girls, ladies, women, chicks.  All good.  

I prefer to use the word "babes"......just sayin'  ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

There's many women I admire in the music industry including Joan Jett,Alanis Morrisette,Diana Ross,Carole King,Carly Simon,Aretha Franklin and countless others.One woman in particular that I think gets overlooked for her contributions to the music industry is Sister Rosetta Tharpe.She's also known by some as the "Godmother of Rock and Roll". 

Here's a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M

Here's an article about her on being on  American Masters from USA Today:

She influenced Elvis PresleyChuck BerryLittle RichardJerry Lee Lewis and countless other rock 'n' roll icons.

So how come Sister Rosetta Tharpe isn't a household name?

Born in 1915 in Cotton Plant, Ark., Tharpe was one of the first gospel performers to cross over into popular music. From the 1940s-'60s, her vocal skills and talent on the newly electrified guitar caught the attention of fans young and old.

Last weekend PBS' American Masters premiered an excellent documentary about Sister Rosetta, The Godmother of Rock 'n' Roll. Directed by Mick Csaky, the movie includes archival footage and interviews about the musician, who died in 1973.

"It's not an image that I think we're used to thinking about when we think about rock 'n' roll history," says Tharpe biographer Gayle Wald. "We don't think about the black woman behind the young white man."

Right now the 53-minute flick is streaming at PBS.org. I highly recommend it, particularly if you're interested in the roots of rock 'n' roll.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A few favorites:

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club) - one of the best bassists in rock history, IMO, man or woman; that band's use of polyrhythms would have failed without her.

PJ Harvey - Still listen to her 2011 LP "Let England Shake" regularly; such a great writer and a force to be reckoned with; a true independent.

St. Vincent (Annie Clark) - A recent fave based on her work with Sufjan Stevens and now, with David Byrne; multi-talented and seems poised to breakout big time. 

Regina Spektor - I'm in love with her voice, but the rest is pretty great, too; great example of an artist with a conscience and vivid imagination.  I defy anyone not to sing along to "Ne Me Quitte Pas", a single released last year; 

Grace Potter - I wasn't sure at first, but I'm a believer now after seeing her live and hearing her 'Sun Sessions' EP; she is like Nancy and Ann Wilson combined.  Highly competent backup band, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I second mrmojo on Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Gospel music in general is somewhat overlooked as a source of and major influence on pop/rock music.

Some of my female faves are Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross & the Supremes, Martha & the Vandellas, Allison Krauss, Etta James, Linda Thompson, Carole King, Christine McVie, The Go-Gos, The Bangles, Martha Davis, Lene Lovich, Rachel Sweet, Eva Cassidy, Judy Collins, Karen Carpenter, Chrissie Hynde. Those are some that come to mind now but I'm sure there are many others whose work I enjoy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Alison Moyet, Tina Turner, Pink, Donna Summer, Chrissie Hynde, Anita Baker, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Annie Lennox, Ann Wilson.......to name a few

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nice lists.  

Agree re: singers with gospel roots, and the influence of the genre; gospel is probably appreciated in some circles more than others.  I saw the listing for the PBS special on Sr. Rosetta Tharpe, and will have to try to catch it.   

A few of mine:

Victoria LeGrand - lead vocalist and keyboardist for Beach House.    Proves less is more.  

Loreena McKennitt  - I've lavished praise on her many times, and that will never change.   Inimitable.   There is no one like her on planet earth.  :)

Sara Bareilles - singer, songwriter, musician.  Very self-effacing, lovely, smart, clever song-writer, credible.    Very easy to identify with her lyrics for females of all ages.   Men, too.  :)

Alicia Keys -  Recent admirer of Keys.   

Some standard / all-time faves:  Chrissie Hynde, Natalie Merchant, Eva Cassidy (RIP), Allison Krauss, the Wilsons (thanks to the forum, I now know how brilliant Ann and Nancy are), Sarah McLachlan, Susanna Hoffs, Maura O'Connell, Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star), Moya Brennan (Enya's sister)

Re: Regina Spektor -- Very interesting musician.   I saw her on Sixty Minutes and her backstory is nothing short of phenomenal.    Jury still out for me, but she's got the goods.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

" I saw the listing for the PBS special on Sr. Rosetta Tharpe, and will have to try to catch it.   "

If you want to see it,you can click on the link on the bottom of the article where it says "the 53 minute flick" and it'll bring you to it.

One performance I found really moving recently was Ann And Nancy Wilson doing "Stairway to heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors.I've always thought they were a nice little band,kind of poppy,but easy to listen to. The version of Stairway they did absolutely floored me.I have much more respect for them a serious artists after that.Ann Wilson has an incredible voice.I know most of you have heard it,but for anyone who hasn't here's a link to watch it. Great stuff !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_DOJa99oo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Regina Spektor -- Very interesting musician.   I saw her on Sixty Minutes and her backstory is nothing short of phenomenal.    Jury still out for me, but she's got the goods.  

She parallels heavily with one of my all-time nuclear crushes, Tori Amos.  Brilliant pianist, improvisational skills, and her vocal control (pitch?) is amazing.

Check her duet from a few years back with Ben Folds: "You Don't Know Me", esp. the last few bars.

Sadly, I missed the 60 minutes story...so I'll have to look it up.  Thanks, yogs!!  :))

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

" I saw the listing for the PBS special on Sr. Rosetta Tharpe, and will have to try to catch it.   "

If you want to see it,you can click on the link on the bottom of the article where it says "the 53 minute flick" and it'll bring you to it.

One performance I found really moving recently was Ann And Nancy Wilson doing "Stairway to heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors.I've always thought they were a nice little band,kind of poppy,but easy to listen to. The version of Stairway they did absolutely floored me.I have much more respect for them a serious artists after that.Ann Wilson has an incredible voice.I know most of you have heard it,but for anyone who hasn't here's a link to watch it. Great stuff !!!!

Okay, thanks; I did not see that it was the whole, real thing.   My bad.   Very convenient, thanks.  

That performance of "Stairway" was flawless.  I would never have believed, after hearing it so many times, someone could deliver a rendition that was so moving, but there it was, bringing a tear to Robert Plant's eyes (love him or hate him ...).  :)      I am so glad so many  of us watched the Kennedy Center Honors (because of Led Zeppelin) this year; I've watched so many times and said, "this year was the best ever!" only to say it again the next year.   "Stairway" was unforgettable.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Also, an honorable mention should go to the late Whitney Houston.  Speaking of that gospel upbringing, even though I did not follow her career up close, she had a gift and music was her calling.

If it weren't for Whitney Houston's historic and electrifying performance of the National Anthem, there would be no (painful) trend of pop divas trying to follow in her footsteps.    Just put Houston's recorded version on the PA system; she and her version are incomparable.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Also, an honorable mention should go to the late Whitney Houston.  Speaking of that gospel upbringing, even though I did not follow her career up close, she had a gift and a music was her calling

If it weren't for Whitney Houston's historic and electrifying performance of the National Anthem, there would be no (painful) trend of pop divas trying to follow in her footsteps.    Just put Houston's recorded version on the PA system; she and her version are incomparable.   

Ditto.

The saddest part about being down is never finding the strength to get back up.  Tragic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Huge fan of Chrissie Hynde, who I've always considered the Queen of Rock and Roll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There are so many out there right now, I cannot even count. But to mention some pioneering women that have yet to be named, let's start with Suzi Quatro. And a big shout out to Lita Ford - she showed that a female guitarist can be an olympian athlete on her instrument.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This may seem strange but after seeing her do Gimme Shelter on the R & R HOF thing, and then her song on Slash's album, I think Fergie could be one of the queens of rock if she wanted to be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Some others that I failed to mention......have a listen

Liz Phair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUALb0sGdto

Aimee Mann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejh-bHa4To

Amanda Marshall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pHckd8T5oA

Billie Myers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-r4ZUpels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWuGnft0KQ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Not sure if many remember her, but Johnette Napolitano with Concrete Blonde?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

How about Rindy Ross of Quarterflash. Kind of a short-lived band. Had the hit with "Harden My Heart," which was OK, but I like "Find Another Fool" even better. She plays a mean saxaphone on that song, dueling with the guitar at the end, and it kicks butt live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdw61do1aTs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Led Zeppelin has always said that Heart (Ann Wilson) covers their songs better than anyone.

Check out this version of Battle of Evermore, which is a duet with Ann and Nancy. I think it's better than Led Zep's original version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcge3FoRM4Y

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Don't forget Natalie Merchant and Olivia Newton John. Two of the best voices in pop/rock or however you want to describe either's music.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Not sure if many remember her, but Johnette Napolitano with Concrete Blonde?

Isn't she the one that now works with Pink writing music?????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Three more who should be at the top of any list (at least I don't think I've seen them mentioned yet):

Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin and Grace Slick.

Then from '70's pop genre: 

Helen Reddy and Janis Ian.

And from 1990s-2000s:

Celine Dion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Those Heart songs are amazing.

A show that my dad once pegged "the best show on television" back in my youth called Barbara Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters, featured Barbara, Louise and Irlene Mandrell. They were talented, beautiful and funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm7_KoUthIo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR7GL78g37s

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Meg White.  Gotta love a chick drummer.  She has a good voice too.