Need a feel good story? The Boss steps it up and makes a wish come true

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Need a feel good story? The Boss steps it up and makes a wish come true

Springsteen's act of kindness to a local kid hit the news, and it's a sweet and incredible 'slice of life' story (the little boy is mighty incredible, too).

It's a heart warming story, what can I say?  A little boy from Mansfield named Carter Bernhard has been battling a debilitating condition, Spina Bifida, and remarkably enough, he's only 5 years old and has wanted to meet the Boss for 3, count them, 3 YEARS.  He saw Springsteen perform at the Superbowl in 2009 and became a fan.  Maybe those Superbowl halftime shows are not a complete waste of time. :)

Carter just got out of a 2-month stay in the hospital.  And what did he say he wanted to do when he got out of the hospital?   Thanks to the Make a Wish Foundation and Springsteen's kindness, he got his wish.  

Sometimes, a feel good story is a very good thing.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Need a feel good story? The Boss steps it up and makes a wish come true

Nice thing to do.

Still dislike his music. Never understood why Dave Marsh called him the savior of Rock and Roll.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm no big fan of Springsteen as an individual (for reasons that won't be recounted in this thread), but I guess you give the guy credit for knowing quality public relations when he sees it. I mean . . .   what are you gonna do, say "no" to a handicapped kid?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Actually, it was stated in the article that it took three years of asking for the kid to get his wish.   Bruce didn't rise to the occasion right away.

I'm no big fan either -- but I suspended cynicism -- and sometimes that's what's necessary if you're going to believe that even the rich and famous make time to do an act of kindness in a selfless way, and not as a publicity stunt.  

Athletes do this sort of thing as a matter of course (Jimmy Fund, anyone?), and I'd have to poll the Sox Forum, but I think it's taken for granted that athletes make time to help out when it comes to kids, and respect it.  Why not believe that rockers can also be as sincere?   Otherwise, call me a sucker, that's okay with me.  :P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"That's why he's "THE BOSS!"...good job , dude!"

Sections
Shortcuts