Neil Young at the Boston Garden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Neil Young at the Boston Garden

Did anybody go to the show?  I went and am still trying to figure out what I saw.

A bit of a brain dump.....

I was prepared for long jams and lots of feedback, and there was certainly plenty of that.

Neil Young likes to rock out, he obviously likes the sound that Crazy Horse produces, it's probably his last tour with Crazy Horse, and his voice is still great.  He looks like hell, but the his voice is great.

They were more than a little self indulgent in what they were doing, which isn't necessarily bad, but some of the endings to some of the songs were a bit much.

I didn't quite get the theatrics.  I didn't get the recording of the Beatles I didn't get the roadies in Lab Coats and the facades for the huge amps and the fake oversized microphone.  I didn't get the girl with the guitar case wandering around the stage during "Singer without a song" (I got it but I didn't see the point). 

At one point, the roadies brought out an elaborate pump organ onto the stage.  A light was shone on the organ during (I think), "The Needle and the Damage Done", and after the song the roadies removed it.  I'd seen him play it in concert before so I'm not sure if he changed his mind about playing it or if it was just a prop, and if it was just a prop, what was the point.

The show was dark and a little disturning.

Oh, and I thought the encore with "Farmer John" was a little creepy.  Great song, but not when it's sung by guys in their mid 60s.

For some reason, I thought the show and style of play would have worked better at an outdoor venue on a warm summers night. 

Patti Smith was a nice surprise.  Her band was very, very good.  I was never a big fan of hers, but I definitely developed an appreciation for her.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Neil Young at the Boston Garden

I was there last night, and since I had never before seen Neil with Crazy Horse (except on film), I resolved that I had only seen Neil without Crazy Horse and let it go from there.

I've always known that Neil is a bit of a jekkyl-hyde character, but that show confirmed it.  But I was a little prepared, so maybe I didn't find it as jarring of a shift as you, DWL.  I like it when an artist can confound my expectations and throw a few curveballs.  I didn't expect "Ragged Glory" LP to be so well-represented, but Neil can do whatever he wants.

The "Cinnamon Girl > F***in Up" jam was my favorite point of the show with all of the crunch and power I imagined and hoped for.  But then, I'm also used to seeing long, epic jams...if not always at that volume.

The acoustics at the Garden have always been odd to me, even on the floor, so the venue is not my ideal by any means.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

The third episode of a Rust Trilogy

Which began in 1978 with Rust Never Sleeps

and continued with Weld in 1990, now concludes with Alchemy in 2012.

This is a tour for the real fans.
    I have seen Neil 31 times
    Lots of jams feedback.
    Really like the new album

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So someone explain the opening of the show to me.  I didn't quite get the recording of the Beatles being played while the dudes in lab coats were directing the workers to raise the covered off the "amps".  And the reason they brought the pump organ on the stage, put a light on it for a song, and then removed it? 

I'm just trying to understand the theatrics of the show.  I mean, I would assume Neil Young had a reason for paying guys to dress up lab coats and whigs and walk around on stage with clipboards pointing at things and gesturing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Well, I know the lab coated roadies and giant amps were holdovers from the 'rust never sleeps' tour.  Maybe Neil had the props in his barn and dusted them off or something.

I didn't try to think too hard about the whole thing.  By the end, I just felt shredded.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

As good a time as any to recommend "Year Of The Horse" to any mutual Neil fans.

Great film by Jim Jarmusch and one of the better road+concert films that I've seen...although it may be too 'indie' for some (one friend calls the director 'jim fartmuch', fwiw)...

...with some cool performances, albeit none of these were captured on the soundtrack, an album which is good, not great, even though I really like the versions of "Sedan Delivery" and  "Danger Bird").  A good companion, if not a replacement, for Weld.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Maybe it is better to burn out than to fade away.

I can't say I enjoy many of Neil's later albums as much as his early ones. I love the guy and what he's done, but just like the Rolling Stones, there comes a point when it should just end.

Still, I think I might have liked to have been there. But, I saw him live back in his best years. So no regrets.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts