Neil Young

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Neil Young

Zilla brought up the idea of having threads on specific artists and getting everyones opinions and feedback. So as usual, being the Abbott to Zilla's Costello, I thought to run with the idea. And Neil Young was the artist I chose to start with.

For me, as many here, we probably all lost our brains on Harvest in 1972. A masterpiece by any standard. Obviously we all had been aware of Young due to his work with Buffalo Springfield and CSN & Y. But Harvest really took him to another level. My original Harvest vinyl is completely worn out. Alabama, Old Man and Needle and the Damage Done were my favorite tracks. Old Man in particular as it really spoke to my relationship with my Old Man.  RIP Papa!

The thing with Neil Young is that he was as much of a Chameleon as David Bowie. You just never knew what his next release was going to bring. And of course he formed one of the great side bands of all-time "Crazy Horse".

He has been dubbed the Godfather of Grunge and even the Punks liked him. Whatelse is there to say, He is one of my all-time favorites and is rightly considered one of the true greats in RnR history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Neil Young

My favorite songs by Niel are "Only love can break your heart", "When you dance" and "Long may you Run." A true legend. I also like the Springfield songs like "Broken Arrow", "I am a child" and "Mr. Soul."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Neil Young is an artist whose magnitude I fully acknowledge, but for some reason I have mixed feelings about him, he's just not one of my favorites.  I tend to take him on a song-by-song basis.  He has done a lot of brilliant stuff, no question. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Absolutely agree with the chameleon description.He shows a musical diversity like not many other musicians can pull off.The odd thing for me is that I like almost whatever he does.I can listen to ballads like Old Man to pure power rock songs such as Keep on rockin in the free world and I'm amazed by how easily he transitions from one type of music to another.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The first two artists that I really started listening to extensively when I came into possession of a few dollars to actually buy albums were Neil Young and Santana. Like many of you , I am sure, Harvest was the first Neil Young album I had and like jessey, I wore it out. There is not a bad track on this album. I knew the single of course, but quickly became very fond of "Out on the Weekend" , "Alabama" ( the song that got Neil an unflattering mention in Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama") and "Words". From there I went on to "After the Goldrush", " Everybody Knows this is Nowhwere", the self-titled debut LP, "On the Beach", "Time Fades Away", "Zuma", "Tonight's the Night" , Bufffalo Springfield best of,and the "Decade" greatest hits 3 record set ( was this the first ever 'box set'?) which contained 6 previously unreleased tracks.

Needless to say , I could go on and on about Neil and his brilliance as a songwriter, his underappretiated guitar and harmonica playing , the group he "adopted"- Crazy Horse (the death of Danny Whitten and Nils Lofgren's brief stay in the band, Frank Sampedro, who's guitar compliments Neil's from the late 70's until just recently).

His songs, "Southern Man", "Ohio" and "Heart of Gold" are classics, but he also has dozens of lesser known songs like "Sugar Mountain", " the Loner" and "Roll Another Number" that are equally great.

If you haven't listened to the 'later' Neil Young, I recommend "Ragged Glory" and "Greendale" as two of his best.

There is just so much to say about him, I am sure I will return and post again with more thoughts soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Neil Young:
    The first two artists that I really started listening to extensively when I came into possession of a few dollars to actually buy albums were Neil Young and Santana. Like many of you , I am sure, Harvest was the first Neil Young album I had and like jessey, I wore it out. There is not a bad track on this album. I knew the single of course, but quickly became very fond of "Out on the Weekend" , "Alabama" ( the song that got Neil an unflattering mention in Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama") and "Words". From there I went on to "After the Goldrush", " Everybody Knows this is Nowhwere", the self-titled debut LP, "On the Beach", "Time Fades Away", "Zuma", "Tonight's the Night" , Bufffalo Springfield best of,and the "Decade" greatest hits 3 record set ( was this the first ever 'box set'?) which contained 6 previously unreleased tracks.   Needless to say , I could go on and on about Neil and his brilliance as a songwriter, his underappretiated guitar and harmonica playing , the group he "adopted"- Crazy Horse (the death of Danny Whitten and Nils Lofgren's brief stay in the band, Frank Sampedro, who's guitar compliments Neil's from the late 70's until just recently). His songs, "Southern Man", "Ohio" and "Heart of Gold" are classics, but he also has dozens of lesser known songs like "Sugar Mountain", " the Loner" and "Roll Another Number" that are equally great. If you haven't listened to the 'later' Neil Young, I recommend "Ragged Glory" and "Greendale" as two of his best. There is just so much to say about him, I am sure I will return and post again with more thoughts soon.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zilla - now I am truly scared. I cannot say how many arguments I have had with people in reagrds to L.S. Sweet Home Alabma. Most felt that Southern Man spurred Sweet Home Alabama and would shoot down my opinion that in fact, it was a reaction to Alabama.

We seem to think way too much alike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

An inspired choice...he's on my Mt. Rushmore of Rock without a doubt.

For me, Neil is second only to Bob Dylan in terms of longevity, consistency, and pure songwriting ability.  As a musician, he even transcends the folkier singer-songwriter genre with one of the most genuine rock bands in Crazy Horse.  Very few artists are as equally comfortable solo acoustic as they are rocking out (I mean rocking) with a full band.  Folk, country, garage rock, dirges, ballads, rockers, grunge, even avant garde, he can do it all and do it well. 

And he's still doing it!!  I saw him in a short set at Farm Aid a few years ago, and he just blew the roof off the place.  I highly recommend the recent live series releases, Fillmore East and Massey Hall.  Seeing him live also helps appreciate just how underrated a guitarist he is - and with a style that's both steady and instantly recognizable.

"Heart Of Gold" is one of those perfect songs - in heart and mind and vibe - that any musician would give his right arm to have written.  And yet the song is only one of literally dozens of classics.  I can say that he's one of the few artists for whom I find it impossible to list my favorites...there are just too many:  Down By The River, Cowgirl In The Sand, Hey Hey My My, Cortez The Killer, World On A String, Comes A Time, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Neil Young : Zilla - now I am truly scared. I cannot say how many arguments I have had with people in reagrds to L.S. Sweet Home Alabma. Most felt that Southern Man spurred Sweet Home Alabama and would shoot down my opinion that in fact, it was a reaction to Alabama. We seem to think way too much alike.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I think the ultimate "argument ender" to this one is from one of the Skynyrd live versions of "Sweet Home Alabama", when Ronnie Van Zandt says to the crowd "There's good people in Alabama, let Mr. Young know that."

I would say "Southern Man" may have been the original insult and "Alabama" rubbed a little more salt in the wound.

The way I undertand it ,Neil and Ronnie met and came to a mutual understanding and Van Zandt left with a new found respect for Neil Young and is pictured on one LP with a Neil Young t-shirt on. The funny thing is if Neil did truly inspire Lynryd Skynyrd to write and record this all time classic, then he is indirectly responsible for that tune as well....isn't that ironic?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I love Neil Young.   Great contributions to this thread, I enjoyed reading all of them!

On a more "personal and human" note, my jaw dropped a few years ago when I read that Neil Young has two sons, both of whom have cerebral palsy, one a very severe and profound form (I had a roommate who worked with people with CP, and some cases of CP are not as profound as others)   --- AND --- that he's had a long-term marriage (now over 30 years maybe?) to his wife, Pegi. 

And he and his wife founded a school for kids with disabilities and Neil hosts a fundraiser every year, himself performing along with some major bands that have helped raise money for the school.  

I loved him anyhow, but when I read about his family life,  I just could not believe how even more awesome he is.  
    And it's not like I'd get this mushy over just anyone, either!   Embarassed  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I've been a big fan as long as I can remember. While I can't say I love everything he's done, he is one of the best songwriters I can think of. His music was "accessible" when I was a teenager, cutting my teeth on guitar with Needle and the Damage Done, Down By the River, Old Man, Helpless, a long list of songs of which I will probably never grow tired. The Decade 3 disc set was a goldmine, introducing me to a lot of stuff they just didn't play on the radio, at least around the Hartford CT area where I grew up. From Harvest (and before) all the way to Harvest Moon, just great music...I always felt "at home" with his music which resonated with me on many levels. There was some stuff I didn't care for much (the rockabilly, the grungy stuff), but it was far outweighed by the catalog of classics. I remember back to 92 when Harvest Moon came out, and was blown away by it, realizing it was 20 years after Harvest. And that was almost 20 years ago. Wow.

His appearance at the Haiti Relief show was one of the highlights. I can't think of too many others who've been inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame twice. If anyone deserves it, he does. I wasn't aware of the CP his sons suffer of until YogaFriend mentioned it above. I didn't know that I could have even more respect for him and his music than I already had, but I do. The music world and the world in general could use more people like this -- someone who makes the world a better place without letting it go to their head or being caught up in their own self importance. Thanks jessey for starting this thread and everyone else who's weighed in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

If we ever shoot another probe into space that includes our planet's history, under the music heading a picture of Neil Young is all that is needed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, I'll say this about that.

I am nobody's idea of an actual musician.

But the first time I picked up a blues harp and learned how to blow Heart of Gold, I knew I was onto something.

One of my most memorable rock -n- roll moments was Neil stepping up to the mic at an outdoor show in Foxboro way back about a million years ago and saying "Even if you never heard of me, you've heard of this . . . "

and launching into that song.

A legend.

No other way to say it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't have much to add here. I agree with everything that's been said about him. As great as Crosby, Stills and Nash is, the quartet with Young is better because Young gives the group that extra edge.

Of course the solo stuff mentioned here is excellent. I have a live album he did, Live Rust, which is great and his 13-minute-plus version of Southern Man on the CSN&Y Four-Way Street is fantastic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

"Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" - talk about a soundtrack to my youth.

I WAS a Cowgirl in the Sand back then....still his greatest album, in my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If you've never heard the Neil Young song "Interstate", it would not surprise me as it was never released or included on the sudio LP's and I have never heard it on any of live albums.

About 10- 12 years ago I saw an ad in Goldmine magazine for 6 Neil Young 70's LP's that were never issued as CD's, finally available on CD (On the Beach, Time Fades Away, American Stars and Bars, Hawks and Doves and there were 2 others). It turns out they were home made copied from the vinyl, but they are done expertly and they all included extra tracks, b- sides and rarities. I bought these and  do not regret it, "Interstate" is one of the best songs I have ever heard.It is a very sad song about how a professional musician with a family has to leave them behind to go on tour. This really gives a very good indication of how much Neil loves his family.

How this song never made it onto an album, I'll never know. It's been reported that Neil has written hundreds, maybe thousands of songs that he never recorded

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

If you've never heard the Neil Young song "Interstate" , it would not surprise me as it was never released or included on the sudio LP's and I have never heard it on any of live albums. About 10- 12 years ago I saw an ad in Goldmine magazine for 6 Neil Young 70's LP's that were never issued as CD's, finally available on CD (On the Beach, Time Fades Away, American Stars and Bars, Hawks and Doves and there were 2 others). It turns out they were home made copied from the vinyl, but they are done expertly and they all included extra tracks, b- sides and rarities. I bought these and  do not regret it, "Interstate" is one of the best songs I have ever heard.It is a very sad song about how a professional musician with a family has to leave them behind to go on tour. This really gives a very good indication of how much Neil loves his family. How this song never made it onto an album, I'll never know. It's been reported that Neil has written hundreds, maybe thousands of songs that he never recorded .
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9oVk1_-_Ck

Great stuff.

there is also a version from Farm Aid available.