New albums holding up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

New albums holding up?

For those of you who have purchased any new albums in the past 6-months or so --- how are they holding up?  

Any duds along the way that you wished you'd passed on?

The album doesn't have to be new by virtue of its date -- just new for you.   Some of the newer  albums in my collection are not recent releases by any means.  

Any feedback?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: New albums holding up?

I got a remastered replacement copy of "Genesis - Live" recently.  I'd forgotten how great it was throughout...only 5 songs but soooo worth it.  Prog heaven.

Jim James' first solo LP "Regions Of Light and Sound Of God" is typically awesome, but I'm biased toward just about everything he does.  He's at the top of his game.

Diving somewhat into Richard Thompson's career before and after seeing him for the first time live last weekend (with Emmylou Harris).  What a brilliant player and songwriter.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Really like Michael Kiwanuka's "Home Again."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 5 albums I got myself for Christmas hold up.  They always will hold up, they're all good stuff.  I haven't been listening to 'em that much recently though.  Going through a bit of a downtime with music.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Latest music I bought was the Kinks box set. If you have the time, it is an amazing listen. Ray Davies is as good as Dylan, Lennon and Townsend when it comes to words.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Latest music I bought was the Kinks box set. If you have the time, it is an amazing listen. Ray Davies is as good as Dylan, Lennon and Townsend when it comes to words.

Kinks box set?  Didn't know that.  Sweet.  That goes on my Christmas 2013 list along with the 10CC box set.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lots of interesting choices.

I have a few in the queue (amazon cart), as I drop them in for a while before hitting the check out key, but over the past few months I've been happy with my choices, while at the same time, trying to hold the line $$-wise.   Some of the albums in my queue are newer releases, but I can't report on them yet.   

Mentioned in another thread: Very Best of Crowded House (got dirt cheap) and it's 19-tracks of perfection.   Sometimes it really pays off to get them all in one feel swoop.  

Oh, I finally got my own copy of Future Games, an early FWM album (seems to be another lead-in to my love of the dream pop); it was worth if for "Woman of 1000 Years" and "Sands of Time" alone, and the rest of the tracks are pretty great, too.  

Bloom, a new release from Beach House, is very satisfying.  I made a thread about this band not long ago, as they are a current band very high on my list.   

Hopes and Fears, an album from a few years ago by Keane, I finally got hold of a few months ago, and it's another one that doesn't have a wasted track on it.   It didn't matter at all that it has a number of hits on it.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

For many years ( maybe 30 years or more), I found myself generally listening to complete LPs. I think when I had a smaller collection (back when vinyl was the thing), I appreciated each LP more. Played many frequently and enjoyed them more.

Lately I find I am pulling out a few random CDs and programming certain tracks that I never get tired of listening to.

I don't have the time, money or space that I had 15-20 years ago ( when I went on an all out blitkrieg to collect music I like) ....I find myself looking at my immense collection and wondering if I'll ever have the time, or live long enough, to listen to even half my collection.

There was a time when "quantity" was important, lately I look for more "quality" in so many things. I guess this is a sign that you've lived more than half your life, and sitting around for hours listening to music is no longer an option.

Because of this I will say that I bought gazillions of CD albums when they were new. Only a handful would find their way back to the CD player , not because I didn't like them, but because I was always buying more....but,some were just so awesome that you couldn't wait to play then again.

I was an addict.  I love my collection. I somewhat regret that I went a little crazy. I should have stayed with "quality" instead of quantity.

Sorry for the long story. I don't have a simple answer to this one. The only new album I have purchased in the last 6 months is the Joe Walsh album, and I only played it through once or twice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

For many years ( maybe 30 years or more), I found myself generally listening to complete LPs. I think when I had a smaller collection (back when vinyl was the thing), I appreciated each LP more. Played many frequently and enjoyed them more.

Lately I find I am pulling out a few random CDs and programming certain tracks that I never get tired of listening to.

I don't have the time, money or space that I had 15-20 years ago ( when I went on an all out blitkrieg to collect music I like) ....I find myself looking at my immense collection and wondering if I'll ever have the time, or live long enough, to listen to even half my collection.

There was a time when "quantity" was important, lately I look for more "quality" in so many things. I guess this is a sign that you've lived more than half your life, and sitting around for hours listening to music is no longer an option.

Because of this I will say that I bought gazillions of CD albums when they were new. Only a handful would find their way back to the CD player , not because I didn't like them, but because I was always buying more....but,some were just so awesome that you couldn't wait to play then again.

I was an addict.  I love my collection. I somewhat regret that I went a little crazy. I should have stayed with "quality" instead of quantity.

Sorry for the long story. I don't have a simple answer to this one. The only new album I have purchased in the last 6 months is the Joe Walsh album, and I only played it through once or twice.

I am very quality oriented, too,  because I have a limited amount of disposable income, and as you said, I appreciate what I have more when I put more thought into my purchases.   That includes everything, not just music.     As you know, many people only buy in digitized format now, for better or worse, so space (and dust) are not issues, but that's not the full issue for you, and I realize that.   

I don't sit and listen to music as a past-time as often as I used to, but music is the backdrop for me, and that's how I  fit it into my lifestyle and am able to pack it in.   

With a short commute (that you have mentioned), which is a blessing, you don't really have a chance to listen to music in your car, which is the flip side of that blessing.    But don't have any regrets about your former "addiction"  -- hey, that's who you were, and part of who you still are, part of your history as Zillagod.   You wouldn't even be on this forum if it weren't for your thousands of CDs.   That would be our loss.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I can't stop playing Willie Dixon's "I am the blues".

Love his take on a number of those. And I can't get over the vocals on "spoonful".

All the blues I collected is holding up.

'Spoonful' is just one of the really great songs. I have a number of versions by various artists, Willie D. ,Howlin' Wolf, Ten Years After, Cream, The Grateful Dead and I am sure there are a few more that don't come quickly to mind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I can't stop playing Willie Dixon's "I am the blues".

Love his take on a number of those. And I can't get over the vocals on "spoonful".

All the blues I collected is holding up.

No surpise there. The blues is for life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I hear ya. My experience is quite similar to yours. My collection probably isn't as extensive, but at one point it sure did seem like an addiction. I now look at the collection thinking that I don't have long enough to live to listen to all of it all the way thriough. Because of my recent car accident, I had a great opportunity to listen to full albums. Went through the entire Beatles albums. It was the only good thing about being laid up for an extended time. That, and more time to post here. Now that that I'm back to work, not as much time to listen to music or post.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add:

Wilco - Kicking Television: Live In Chicago (2005)

This was a xmas present and is holding up extremely well.  Another band that seemingly can do no wrong, IMNSHO...there is some crazy, mindbending guitar work from Nels Cline - as per usual - and all around a great performance for a willing crowd.  Maybe not the best place to start for some newcomers, but it ranks as a high point for me.  

It's occurred to me that Wilco may be an acquired taste, perhaps because - like Ben Harper et al. - they are both prolific and varied over the past 20 years.  But I would encourage anyone to try...I think they're that good.

Sections
Shortcuts