new artists or bands who excite you / did excite you and disappeared

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: new artists or bands who excite you / did excite you and disappeared

For me , it would have to be the "did" excite, as I can't remember any newer band that excited me and disappeared.

There was a band called 'FM' who were a progressive outfit that used an electric violin. I have the debut LP (on CD), from around 1979 or so. I don't remember hearing about them ever making a second LP. There was also a Prog-rock group called 'U.K.' , who made 3 LP's ( 2 studio, 1 live) around that same time and apparently called it quits , I guess Prog-rock was not selling much around 1980. There was also a Heavy Metal band called Blue Murder , who made an excellent self-titled debut in the late '80's then I never heard any more about them. I thought the effort warranted at least a second album, I guess that one didn't sell either.

The Stone Roses, a Manchester, England group was at the forefront of a new "Manchester sound" that was becoming very popular on the college radio stations around 1989. They fizzled out after about 2 or 3 LP's...at least I never heard much from them after that.

Living Colour were a great band. They lasted about 4 to 5 years , I think. It was kind of neat to have a group of young African Americans playing something other than Rap and Soul. Kind of like the all white Red Hot Chili Peppers, whose music sounded "black" but they weren't. The Peppers lasted a while, Living Colour did not. Too bad, I really liked them.

I really thought all these groups had a somewhat interesting sound, however not the type of music that gets a lot of attention on "Top 40" stations. It's kind of sad, that the general public seems so narrow minded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Del Fuegos - local boys who knew what roots rock was all about and got lost in the 80s diaspora after a couple of hits.  At least Dan Zanes still makes great music - albeit for kids.

God Street Wine - 90s jam band with good songwriting, hooks to spare and all-around great musicians.   Too bad they couldn't stand each other.

Soulhat - Saw them on one of the HORDE tours...Texas-based funk-blues band could never find a niche on radio.  Granted, they were kind of all over the place, but they had solid licks, good (if long) songs and a primus-like sense of humor.  Check out their 1994 sophomore LP - "Good To Be Gone" and title track, co-produced by Brendan O'Brien (Pearl Jam).

Infectious Grooves - funk-metal at its very finest - with an incredible live show that had double the attitude and humor of the chili peppers on their best day.  I saw them open for Fishbone - a mind-**** of a show I still can't get out of my head.  They have a version of "Immigrant Song" that is alone worth the price of admission.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: new artists or bands who excite you / did excite you and disappeared:
    [QUOTE]There was a band called 'FM' who were a progressive outfit that used an electric violin. I have the debut LP (on CD), from around 1979 or so. I don't remember hearing about them ever making a second LP.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Good for you Zilla, not just an obscure band but an obscure Canadian band.  I saw those guys play live sometime in the 80's.  The guy who played the violin was called 'Nash the Slash'...his face was covered in bandages like the Invisible Man.  They actually put out several more albums.  Check www.allmusic.com it's the go-to place for info on any musician that's ever recorded anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Although I wouldn'y say they fizzled out, they just never caught the national attention that I thought they would and kind of rolled into the background.

Kings X

Another was Enuff z'Nuff. They were a favorite of Howard Stern but their mgmt screwed thme up.

As for disappointed - I have to say Boston. Their debut album was nothing short of a recording masterpiece for their day and then they just went away for I don't know how many years. My expectations of them after that first album was gigantic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

jesseyeric - your abbreviation of management reminded me of another more-than-often kickass band, MGMT.  their first cd (oracular spectacular) had brilliant moments and certainly enough filler to go around, and the second full length (congratulations) from these brooklyn boys takes it to a completely different level.  much more psychadelic 70's influenced rock as opposed to their synth heavy debut.

highly recommend both the black keys and band of horses.

the black keys are an amazing guitar/drums duo from akron, ohio. while their latest effort (brothers) was produced by the ubiquitous dangermouse (who deserves all the acclaim he collects), they have a fine collection of roots/blues rock and can bring the house down with the best of them.

band of horses impresses me more each time i hear them.  these guys straddle the alt country line like seasoned veterans, oftentimes leaning more towards rock and other times stretch out the ever-important ballad.  however, it is their seemingly effortless harmonies which really dragged me in.  i had their newest album (infinite arms) in my car for a while and it took me having nothing else in there to really give it a shot. from start to finish it is a very cohesive offering, and more than once spine-tingling harmonies creep up when least expected.  lyrics are very honest, and being a musician myself i suppose that's what i really appreciate the most. artists who are honest to themselves have that sense of vulnerability that is so rare in music these days.

also, i find it clever that a group of horses is technically called a band.  a little double entendre for ya there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good choices, phsmith. 

I've been on board with The Black Keys since "I'll Be Your Man" came out, and they just keep getting better.  Their opening set for Pearl Jam this summer (in NYC) was positively stellar.

I found Band Of Horses through their Sub Pop labelmates Fleet Foxes, and they continue to impress me, as well...just great, solid all-around indie rock.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I loved October Project in the late 1990's  (I think they formed in the early/mid 1990's) -- they only made two cd's unfortunately, I had hoped they would have gone further with their music.

I also loved Sebadoh.  Lou Barlow (Dinosaur Jr.) was a founder.  I actually just searched them, and saw they did a reunion tour a few years ago, after being broken up for many years.  Looks like they are also embarking on another reissue of their work in support of another reunion tour.  So yay for them.  Great band. 

PS: it used to drive me out of my mind when people referred to the Del Fuegos as the "Fuegos" --- yes, there were people who did that! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

thanks matty, i have been lurking around these forums for a few years now, and only recently has my work computer allowed me to log in.  love the avatar.

i'll have to check out fleet foxes, i can't say that i have heard them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Not exactly new, but I went crazy when I first heard them and they never went anywhere, Jack Mack and the Heart Attack

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Velvet Underground post made me think of another band who never took off..
    The Feelies

Yoga I haven't listened to Sebadoh for years, now you have me turning the album collection upside down looking for that disk.

Sebadoh reminds me of ... Catherine Wheel another band that never made it that big

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Suburbs (Minneapolis, MN)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Recently reminded of another local band which didn't quite make it: 

Heavy Metal Horns - funky, soulful jams and plenty of r&b flavor with an off-the-hook live show (do people even say that any more?  off-the-hook?)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: new artists or bands who excite you / did excite you and disappeared:
    [QUOTE]For me , it would have to be the "did" excite, as I can't remember any newer band that excited me and disappeared. There was a band called 'FM' who were a progressive outfit that used an electric violin. I have the debut LP (on CD), from around 1979 or so. I don't remember hearing about them ever making a second LP. There was also a Prog-rock group called 'U.K.' , who made 3 LP's ( 2 studio, 1 live) around that same time and apparently called it quits , I guess Prog-rock was not selling much around 1980. There was also a Heavy Metal band called Blue Murder , who made an excellent self-titled debut in the late '80's then I never heard any more about them. I thought the effort warranted at least a second album, I guess that one didn't sell either. The Stone Roses, a Manchester, England group was at the forefront of a new "Manchester sound" that was becoming very popular on the college radio stations around 1989. They fizzled out after about 2 or 3 LP's...at least I never heard much from them after that. Living Colour were a great band. They lasted about 4 to 5 years , I think. It was kind of neat to have a group of young African Americans playing something other than Rap and Soul. Kind of like the all white Red Hot Chili Peppers, whose music sounded "black" but they weren't. The Peppers lasted a while, Living Colour did not. Too bad, I really liked them. I really thought all these groups had a somewhat interesting sound, however not the type of music that gets a lot of attention on "Top 40" stations. It's kind of sad, that the general public seems so narrow minded.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

As soon as I saw the topic, my first thoughts was Stone Roses.
    First time I heard "I Am the Resurrection" I was floored. Thought Stone Roses  would take the music world by storm. Put out one more album and broke up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Garbage - I dug Shirley Manson's voice, Loved "Stupid Girl"
    Oasis - Yes I do like (What's the Story) Morning Glory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Garbage - I dug Shirley Manson's voice, Loved "Stupid Girl" Oasis - Yes I do like (What's the Story) Morning Glory.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Agree - I thought Garbage would do better. As for Oasis - I think they are still a great band.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I like Oasis because they try to sound like the Beatles but freely admit they're trying to do so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have to admit that I had hoped The Divinyls would do better here in the US if just to see Christine Joy Amphlett in a few more videos. Really, who here did not fall in love with her after the release of the video for "I Touch Myself"?