New music purchases/planned music purchases

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: New music purchases/planned music purchases

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

The Lost Crowes doesn't exactly throw a monkey wrench in my plans, but I have to digest the idea of getting a double disc set, if I go that route, too.    The album link was nice, so I checked out a few songs, but I'll go back later when I have more time.  

I don't buy whole albums in MP3 format, so that's not an issue.  I just have to check out getting hold of Amorica, per what you said.  

I'll see what transpires, b/c now I want this damn album more than I did when I wrote into this thread.  :)

BTW, do you like / familiar with The Little Willies?   You probably know ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHK_HttgkmU

I don't know. Wow.  My god she is so fine, it's ridiclous. And talented!  Very cool.  Had no idea about a side band.   Thanks for the heads up.

Happy to oblige.  :).  Yes, she is very alluring (esp. in that video).  Funny, but I am not a fan of NJ at all, but I really like her side band quite a bit; the music style is right up your alley as well.   Nicely put together.  I've been meaning to mention this for a while, and finally found the right moment.   

I like how low-key they've been about its existence, too.   Also, if you ever see them on a lineup for a festival near you by any chance, you will know to GO.   :)

Check out their albums.  They only have two, and I am pretty sure at least one is on vinyl. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Miracle To Me? Really?  Cheeseball city thre for me.   Also, Soul Singing was kind of cheesy for me until they started putting a jam on it, live. 

I always felt bad for Dylan singing backing vocals on one of those crappier tunes. I want to say No Use Lying?  I get your point, but you could tell they weren't into it anymore at that time, which made the hiatus almost welcome to some fans.

I like it...for a slow jam ballad, anyway.  (I never feel bad for Dylan.)  Agreed that the live touch improves on many if not all of their songs.  That's where their hearts really are...on stage.

BTW, have you checked out a band called Lucero?  From Memphis.  I saw them in Atlanta last spring, and they've got that great bloozy, southern, smokey vibe that owes to the Crowes, among others.  Worth the listen...see "On My Way Downtown".

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I keep a notebook.  :)   I note music that I see online in various ways; releases I want to pursue from "new release" updates I see from Newbury Comic; and many artists and albums that we discuss and name on the forum.   Therefore, I have an ongoing list of albums to pursue.   Never a shortage. 

Even with the notebook, however, I will pick up a CD on a whim, or very spontaneously, esp. if it's a pre-owned CD. 

Here are a few that would be nice to add soon:

Amorica (high priority)

LIVE - Alison Krauss / Union Station (meant to buy this one, but it slipped under the radar)

Cease to Begin - Band of Horses

An album by Morcheeba (this is my genre for sure, trip hop), just never got hold of an album; they are a mid-90's group, one of my favorite decades); they just released a new album in October 2013, in fact.  

For an artist I've never pursued: Ryan Bingham (per the forum).  

Yoga, you and I have similar taste in music. I think the new Morcheeba album is good,  but it is a bit of a departure from their earlier stuff. You can only write "the Sea" so much, and I think they stay pretty true to their original sound. The only new music on my wish list is the Kings of Leon's, Mechanical Bull. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:

I had a birthday a few weeks ago and I got a Newbury comics gift card and an Amazon gift card. I'll probably get the same for gifts for Christmas. A few of the items I bought

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964 - Sam Cooke

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney

Substance - New Order

I'm Stranded - The Saints

Citrus - Asobi Seksu

Big Shots - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Madvillainy - Madvillain

good kid, m.A.A.d. City - Kendrick Lamar

Interesting list. You are definitely the first person i've seen mention the underrated Saints on this forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

An album by Morcheeba (this is my genre for sure, trip hop), just never got hold of an album; they are a mid-90's group, one of my favorite decades); they just released a new album in October 2013, in fact.  

Yoga, you and I have similar taste in music. I think the new Morcheeba album is good,  but it is a bit of a departure from their earlier stuff. You can only write "the Sea" so much, and I think they stay pretty true to their original sound. The only new music on my wish list is the Kings of Leon's, Mechanical Bull. 

Good advice, much appreciated, especially since you know firsthand, and we've established very similar taste in this genre.   I thought it was a "sign" to finally (at long last) get hold of a Morcheeba album when I recently saw their new release.  Yes, I had Big Calm on my list originally.  It's *very* tough to decide what to buy when older fans complain that the new release isn't up to par: Very annoying.  :D.    I had the same experience with Yo La Tengo's latest that I bought this year, that did turn out to be just "so so" ; I didn't put it on my list of favorite albums in another recent thread. (same with Low's latest that is good, but by no means great).  

Band of Horses fans are the same way, but I absolutely love Infinite Arms, and am set up for another album now.  I'm still hoping to get another Lush album, too.  

Not too much of a KofL fan (although I like some of their hits), but if you get the album and you're around, let us know what you think.

Looks like I've got some winners on my list.   Great to see you, BTW. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Miracle To Me? Really?  Cheeseball city thre for me.   Also, Soul Singing was kind of cheesy for me until they started putting a jam on it, live. 

I always felt bad for Dylan singing backing vocals on one of those crappier tunes. I want to say No Use Lying?  I get your point, but you could tell they weren't into it anymore at that time, which made the hiatus almost welcome to some fans.

I like it...for a slow jam ballad, anyway.  (I never feel bad for Dylan.)  Agreed that the live touch improves on many if not all of their songs.  That's where their hearts really are...on stage.

BTW, have you checked out a band called Lucero?  From Memphis.  I saw them in Atlanta last spring, and they've got that great bloozy, southern, smokey vibe that owes to the Crowes, among others.  Worth the listen...see "On My Way Downtown".

Nope, but checking it out now. Memphis is one of my favorite music cities. Where in Atlanta?  Smith's Old Bar?

At The Masquerade.  'Twas an outdoor festival/show in the heavy rain.  Lucero was a high point (along with Jim James, Gary Clark and others).  Fun for me...less so for Mrs. Matty....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The only new music on my wish list is the Kings of Leon's, Mechanical Bull. 

I got this last month and it's pretty good.

Looking forward to my first show with them in the spring.

Hard to say how I feel about this band after following them for several years now.  They seem to traffic in some select, key moments of greatness peeking out from their shiny, radio-ready veneer.  Their albums tend to be growers, as well, if slightly predictable.

I would like to see them break through with a bolder statement, but I'm content enough with what they bring, which is still better than most in their genre today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Good advice, much appreciated, especially since you know firsthand, and we've established very similar taste in this genre.   I thought it was a "sign" to finally (at long last) get hold of a Morcheeba album when I recently saw their new release.  Yes, I had Big Calm on my list originally.  It's *very* tough to decide what to buy when older fans complain that the new release isn't up to par: Very annoying.  :D.    I had the same experience with Yo La Tengo's latest that I bought this year, that did turn out to be just "so so" ; I didn't put it on my list of favorite albums in another recent thread. (same with Low's latest that is good, but by no means great).  

Band of Horses fans are the same way, but I absolutely love Infinite Arms, and am set up for another album now.  I'm still hoping to get another Lush album, too.  

Not too much of a KofL fan (although I like some of their hits), but if you get the album and you're around, let us know what you think.

Looks like I've got some winners on my list.   Great to see you, BTW. 

Hey Yoga- Good to see you as well. One thing is clear after the many discussions we've had here over the years, music fans are a fickle lot. Hoping that every new release is better than the last! You definitely have some good albums to choose from. One of the things I enjoy most about coming here is being exposed to new music, bands, or genres that I would not have considered, or somehow had missed. I've latched onto a few new bands based upon this forum's reccomendation's. The level of knowledge here always amazes me.  

Have a safe and Happy Holiday :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Hard to say how I feel about this band after following them for several years now.  They seem to traffic in some select, key moments of greatness peeking out from their shiny, radio-ready veneer.  Their albums tend to be growers, as well, if slightly predictable.

I would like to see them break through with a bolder statement, but I'm content enough with what they bring, which is still better than most in their genre today.

Thanks Matty. They are high up on my list. I just got into them over the last few months, and I agree, they definitely stand out amongst  the drek in that catagory.  I went with your reccomendations on both the Fleet Foxes, and Heartless Bastards, and both have become favorities!

Have a Happy Holiday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Thanks Matty. They are high up on my list. I just got into them over the last few months, and I agree, they definitely stand out amongst  the drek in that catagory.  I went with your reccomendations on both the Fleet Foxes, and Heartless Bastards, and both have become favorities!

Have a Happy Holiday.

Thanks.  And season's best to you and yours....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

things bought from Amazon with my latest gift card

Burial - self titled, Untrue

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

Prince - Sign O the Times

Lou Reed - Berlin

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Shellac - At Action Park

Mazzy Star - So that Tonight I Might See

Rodriguez - Cold Fact, Coming from Reality

DJ Spooky - Songs of a Dead Dreamer

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

'New' is a relative term.  Santa number 1 dropped off Pearl Jam's 'Vitology' and John Hiatt's 'Bring the Family'.  Both are well over 10 years old. 

I listened to PJ on the ride to work and ... eh.  The only tunes I liked were the 2 hits that I was already familar with, 'Better Man' and 'Nothingman'.  But I'll need one or two more listens before I pass final judgement on this one.

One of my Secret Santa's left something of more recent vintage,   Chris Thile's 'Bach Sonata's and Partitas'.   That will be to settle me down during those stressful hour long commutes down rt 2.

I was heavily into John Hiatt back in the late 80's/early 90's. 'Bring the Family' may be his best album ever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lou Reed - Berlin

Shellac - At Action Park

I'm boycotting Mazzy Star, or I may have bought their new album (they, or at least their manager, snubbed an organization that wanted to use one of their songs for a good cause); heard it was good, though.  

I have wavered over buying that Magnetic Fields album for a couple of years (it's in my notebook, man) ... it's just got a lot on it I'm not so sure I like, and with 3 discs, I could not convince myself it's worth it.  I'd get a used copy perhaps; that might be the solution.  I have 2 other MF albums, and another Merritt album that I love.  I like quirky, but are 3-discs of quirky too much or overkill?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Lou Reed - Berlin

Shellac - At Action Park

I'm boycotting Mazzy Star, or I may have bought their new album (they, or at least their manager, snubbed an organization that wanted to use one of their songs for a good cause); heard it was good, though.  

I have wavered over buying that Magnetic Fields album for a couple of years (it's in my notebook, man) ... it's just got a lot on it I'm not so sure I like, and with 3 discs, I could not convince myself it's worth it.  I'd get a used copy perhaps; that might be the solution.  I have 2 other MF albums, and another Merritt album that I love.  I like quirky, but are 3-discs of quirky too much or overkill?

I've only heard that one Mazzy Star album and I liked it so I bought it lol.

I've only heard The Wayward Bus (which includes most of Distant Plastic Trees) from Magnetic Fields. Charm of the Highway Strip is in my "to listen to" pile. I haven't heard 69 Love Songs yet. I bought it new at $23 I think. You can definitely find one used for cheaper than that. I've heard people say that even if you only like half the songs, that's still over 30 great songs.

The Prince and the MF albums I haven't heard before, all the others I've listened to at least once.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

I was heavily into John Hiatt back in the late 80's/early 90's. 'Bring the Family' may be his best album ever.

I've heard lots of good things about it.  I had 'Perfectly Good Guitar' from way back, but it was never a favorite.  Two summers ago caught him live finally and picked up 'Mystic Pinball' at the show, it hadn't even been released officially yet. Liked it very much.  Which lead to 'Crossing Muddy Waters', which I've just about worn out I've played it so much.  So I'll probably take the shrink wrap off 'Family' for the ride home tonight. 

I have 'Perfectly Good Guitar' too and never really listened to it much. The title song is a good one, though. If you like 'Bring the Family', I also recommend 'Slow Turning', which is in a similar vein. I think those are Hiatt's two best albums.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I got that Mumford and Sons on 180G vinyl. Ugh.  I still can't get into it.   The Avetts, The Lumineers and these guys all write the exact same sounding songs. It's not bad, but it just seems like stuff girls listen to and scream over.

Ugh. 

I've only heard a couple of Mumford & Sons songs.  But I seem to be hearing a lot of this sort of folksy, upbeat, singalong type music lately with lots of strummy acoustic guitar and 'oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh' vocal harmonies...like the absurdly popular song by the Phillip Phillips guy who won on American Idol.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I got that Mumford and Sons on 180G vinyl. Ugh.  I still can't get into it.   The Avetts, The Lumineers and these guys all write the exact same sounding songs. It's not bad, but it just seems like stuff girls listen to and scream over.

Ugh. 

I'd say it might be a certain generation that screams over them, but chicks in general??  ... Wellll...   blech. 

Otherwise, I don't, never have, and it appears I never will, get the appeal.  We had a thread about them, and groups of their ilk (as you said, the Lumineers) and it's as though we all agreed they're just pseudo-roots / Americana, and part of the current craze / style, but esp. odd since Mumford / Sons are British.  I'd rather listen to Philip Philips, an American idol winner who is heavily influenced by Mumford, and considering he won a popularity reality contest, he's more listenable than they are. :)

I am a little shocked you either got suckered into that record or you got if for a gift.  If it was meant as an experiment, it was a bad one.   We all make mistakes.   Ugh. 

A band you might like-- The Jayhawks.   I used to hear their songs on the college station here, WERS, but for some reason, it never computed with me that they had an entire catalog of transplendant music.   They were mentioned in a few threads on the forum, and voila, I am now a convert. :)   If Matty sees this, he will gladly fill you in.   Their sound is classic.  Maybe you're already familiar, but if not: 

Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMyKcNL-Vs

and one of their well-known hits "Save it for a Rainy Day"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6rlU-WdZs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I've only heard that one Mazzy Star album and I liked it so I bought it lol.

I've only heard The Wayward Bus (which includes most of Distant Plastic Trees) from Magnetic Fields. Charm of the Highway Strip is in my "to listen to" pile. I haven't heard 69 Love Songs yet. I bought it new at $23 I think. You can definitely find one used for cheaper than that. I've heard people say that even if you only like half the songs, that's still over 30 great songs. 

The Prince and the MF albums I haven't heard before, all the others I've listened to at least once.

I was a Mazzy fan in the 90's for a while.  The reason I am boycotting them is b/c I made a thread about their new album being released (end of the summer, I believe), and a former MS fan wrote in the thread what had happened with regard to the use of the song. The poster is not a regular poster here, I haven't seen her since.  I felt a  bit bad, so I told her that I would boycott the album, and I have to be true to my word.  :).  Otherwise, I have listened to some of the songs, and it sounds like vintage Sandoval, so I think you will like it overall.  

Actually, $23.00 for 3 discs is a bargain for the Magnetic Fields album, and even if you have to slog through a lot of tracks that are meh, overall, it will be a win.   I did check Amazon and there are used copies, so I will think it over. 

GL listening to all the new discs. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I had a birthday a few weeks ago and I got a Newbury comics gift card and an Amazon gift card. I'll probably get the same for gifts for Christmas. A few of the items I bought

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964 - Sam Cooke

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney

Substance - New Order

I'm Stranded - The Saints

Citrus - Asobi Seksu

Big Shots - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Madvillainy - Madvillain

good kid, m.A.A.d. City - Kendrick Lamar

Interesting list. You are definitely the first person i've seen mention the underrated Saints on this forum.

Was chatting about music tonight to friends - per usual.  He, "P", started off playing a band named "The Visitors".  Never heard of them before, from 30 years ago or so, loved it.  Aussie, brilliant IMO....3 of them were from Radio Birdman, one of my all time favourite bands.  Many more Aussie rock/punk/protopunk records were played.

I have no interest whatsoever in one's age, race, height, sexuality, the continental landmass one was born on, if one believes in fictious characters, or even if one doesn't understand how arrogant, shameless and pathetic Paul Hewitt is, etc....

But I love Japanese and Aussie rock'n'roll.....for different, but maybe similar, reasons. Both countries are far away (geographically) from the epicentre of rock'n'roll.....it's very hard for bands to tour there for logistical reasons, time zone issues, etc. so there is an isolation issue.  That's good!  IMO, Japanese bands have a joie de vivre that most Western bands lost when they started thinking they were cool.  It is so great for me to see bands that (I believe) love what they do, can laugh at themselves, and celebrate, IMO, what "rock" music should be.

Aussie bands?  To me, I think protopunk is my favourite genre....and Detroit was the effink epicentre.....Stooges, MC5, Death, etc.  But Oz ain't far behind.  Birdman, of course, Manikins, Saints, New Race, Visitors (from last night!).

Apols for being weird, boring and unwelcome (;-)).

If you give a sh1t, from Japan, I'd suggest Teengenerate (I call them the "Japanese Ramones"), Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, and The Routes.  I also have a soft spot for Shonen Knife, who couldn't?  ;-)

Oz?  Add the Stems and for me, since last night, the Visitors, to the above.

:-)

Sections
Shortcuts