New Petty Album

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

New Petty Album

Well, I've listened to it a few times and it's just not getting any better. After the awful Mojo in 2010, I am afraid a guy who never seemed to lose it, has officially lost it.

It's not as poor as Mojo, but there isn't one memorable track on the album, which is usually a sign of a crappy record.

I never thought I'd be saying this with a Petty album. He is the kind of songwriter that is a model of consistency, but if you put out albums now every 4 years and that's your yield, ouch. He's clearly struggling and doesn't have much to work with in terms of concepts.

Oh well. At least the Heartbreakers sound good and the production is good.  Mike Campbell reels off a few doozies in the guitar solo department, so it's not all bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: New Petty Album

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Well, I've listened to it a few times and it's just not getting any better. After the awful Mojo in 2010, I am afraid a guy who never seemed to lose it, has officially lost it.

It's not as poor as Mojo, but there isn't one memorable track on the album, which is usually a sign of a crappy record.

I never thought I'd be saying this with a Petty album. He is the kind of songwriter that is a model of consistency, but if you put out albums now every 4 years and that's your yield, ouch. He's clearly struggling and doesn't have much to work with in terms of concepts.

Oh well. At least the Heartbreakers sound good and the production is good.  Mike Campbell reels off a few doozies in the guitar solo department, so it's not all bad.

As you've made it clear from your frequent comments on Tom Petty, you're a huge fan, so I appreciate your comments on the new album; figures you would be someone who would look into it.

I have listened to a few tracks as well, and while it's somewhat difficult to immediately 'love' an album when it hasn't had any exposure out of the gate (meaning, a lead single hasn't emerged that you'd be drawn to, or have heard by now), I was underwhelmed, too.   I also listened to an interview he did re: the album, and he wasn't all that convincing. 

Oddly enough, of the few remaining radio stations I still listen to, college station WERS picked it as their "Album of the Month"  which I found kind of cool, since this is a new album of a "classic" rocker, and it's a college station (they seem to love David Bowie, too, and play loads of classic rock mixed in with very current indie, folk, alt and in general, all styles of music -- they don't discriminate).  

It's funny, too, b/c we've had the discussion re: how "fresh" can new material be, when someone has been writing and performing for 30-40 years?  How much can we expect of them, especially when they have a massively successful catalog to their credit.  People go to concerts to hear the hits that they know and love, they are not going to be too thrilled if he plays new material from this album. 

As you say, maybe he's struggling, or perhaps his formula has run its course, and no matter what he does, he can't top his rate of success, and can't be expected to crank out too many hits from now on.   Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer to admit it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: New Petty Album

I realize expecting Wildflowers Part II isn't going to happen, because an artist can only make their Blood On The Tracks once.

Speaking of Wildflowers, he is supposed to be releasing some outtakes from that one very soon. I am looking forward to that.

Sections
Shortcuts