New Pink Floyd album

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

New Pink Floyd album

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/" rel="nofollow">http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/

The news is a few days old, but there is apparently a "new" Pink Floyd album being released later this year.

What are your thoughts and expectations for this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: New Pink Floyd album

It is not new material.    Saw this a few days ago myself, and since I am planning to buy one of their "best" from the past, this does not interest me.   I did a thread on PF recently (before the forum officially died), and based on prior threads, I can attest to the consensus that their last album was a bit of a bust, sorry to say.  

Been here long enough to know: No Waters, no PF.   :)

Material that was not released was perhaps, not good enough to have been released.   Why now?  This is strictly monetary.    Someone is selling some formerly unreleased Nick Drake material, too.   Why now?  $$$.   That is why.  I find all the publicity behind the words "first album in 20 years!" , no matter what band it is, off putting.  Doesn't mean squat as it pertains to quality.  I have become very cynical about this sort of thing, but if hard core fans want to own "all" of their albums, they may well buy this one, too.  

"Darling, he's still dangerous."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: New Pink Floyd album

In response to yogafriend's comment:

It is not new material.    Saw this a few days ago myself, and since I am planning to buy one of their "best" from the past, this does not interest me.   I did a thread on PF recently (before the forum officially died), and based on prior threads, I can attest to the consensus that their last album was a bit of a bust, sorry to say.  

Been here long enough to know: No Waters, no PF.   :)

Material that was not released was perhaps, not good enough to have been released.   Why now?  This is strictly monetary.    Someone is selling some formerly unreleased Nick Drake material, too.   Why now?  $$$.   That is why.  I find all the publicity behind the words "first album in 20 years!" , no matter what band it is, off putting.  Doesn't mean squat as it pertains to quality.  I have become very cynical about this sort of thing, but if hard core fans want to own "all" of their albums, they may well buy this one, too.  

"Darling, he's still dangerous."

I try not to be too cynical. I'll wait until I hear the new music before judging on the quality. I thought Division Bell was a very strong album, better than the last Floyd album with Waters and better than the first w/o him. So just because they had more stuff they didn't use, it doesn't mean the material isn't very good.

I don't get caught up with the whole "doing it for the money" attitude. Heck, every album every made was done to some extent for the money (has anyone ever turned down money earned from an album). So who cares about the reason. If the material is good, I'll buy it. If not, so be it.

Gilmour and Wright are/were talented to have come up with more material than they needed for an album with that material being strong enough to be worthy of an album, even if they used the best on Division Bell.

4. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts