Newbury Comics turns off the lights at the Alewife location :(

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Newbury Comics turns off the lights at the Alewife location :(

I've been (understandably) distracted lately, so I am not quite sure when they closed this particular branch of Newbury Comics, but I was crestfallen when I discovered its fate over the weekend.  It could not have happened that long ago; I was thinking, perhaps November 30th.  

I have tried to keep out b/c I didn't want to put myself in the face of temptation, but I know I saw the sign from the corner of my eye driving by not long ago.   I ordered on Amazon recently, as NC does not have everything I want by a long shot, but still ...

I thought I was in the wrong place on the sidewalk.  But alas, I saw the "20%" off signs, an empty, dark space, and a small sign on the door that had a list of the locations that are close by.

BUT those locations are NOT THE SAME.   Alewife had great pre-owned CDs, the staff was laid back, but always helpful, and the store had a great throw-back feel to it (read: dirty and grungy); a great place to browse the bins.  

Been going to this location for years (including the original location that was across the street), and am so sad about this.   Sign of the times, I suppose, but a shocker.   

Anyone miss this location, or any other similar hangout?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Newbury Comics turns off the lights at the Alewife location :(

In my younger days I used to go to Amherst and Northampton and there was a plethora of record/CD shops. I always loved spending hours browsing the bins and the excitement of finding long sought out albums. Yes, those days are long gone. I haven't shopped for music in those two cities for quite a while now. Most of the stores have closed, despite the fact that there are five colleges in the area. The shops used to be full of college kids but now I guess they all get their music on-line. Last I knew, there was a Newbury Comics in Amherst but I haven't been there in a while so I'm not sure if it's still there. Those days of records stores are times I'm glad I got to experience (along with bookstores, too!). Now it's just nostalgic memories for us older folks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've seen so many record stores fall by the wayside in my life ....it's sad.

I realize that Newbury Comics is much more than a record store ( back when I was in my 20s and 30s, we had such things around here as "record stores"). They seem a part of ancient history now.

My late 70s favorite place to go for vinyl was a place called Sunset Records in Dartmouth , Ma. Tiny , little place, but the owner gave me discounts( I spent a fair amount of paycheck there every week!) and the inventory was just incredible for such a small place. I bought my first copy of 'Paranoid' there out of the used records bin....and I loved it!

About 10 years later when I was getting into CDs , I had a couple of favorite locations, one was across the street from the Dartmouth Mall called Good Vibrations, another was a place in Warwick, R.I. near the Marshalls store, I don' t recall the name....it didn't stay open long. There was a Strawberries Records right on the same road ( Bald Hill road) which was small but had a lot of neat stuff ( I guess each store manager had a little freedom to bring in different inventory).

My thirst for more diverse titles eventually led me away from the stores and I started ordering from a number of sellers in Goldmine magazine. There was a couple of really good ones , one in New Jersey, one in Maryland that always had great , hard-to-find titles. My collection grew, but I always will remember stopping at my favorite record stores and spending a good hour to hour and a half checking to see if there was anything new that I couldn't live without....it was great therapy to quietly browse for a while  after an 8 hour day at work.

To quote Steely Dan, from 'Pretzel Logic'...."These things are gone forever, over a long time ago....oh, yeah..."

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

In my younger days I used to go to Amherst and Northampton and there was a plethora of record/CD shops.

I definitely remember the one in downtown Amhert.  Drawing a blank on the name of it,  but I got all my ZZ Hill and Fabulous Thunderbird records there.   My first guitar teacher (Kevin Jones) had his studio on the second floor of that strip.   I go out for BB games once or two a year, the place is long gone.  

The Fretted Instrument Workshop is still there, across from the common.   A great place to visit if you're looking for an acoustic string instrument,   but the owner is a jerk.   I ripped into him in one of my yelp reviews. 

For the Record is the shop that was there for quite a few years. Is that the one?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Lately, I've been favoring Bull Moose Music in Salem, NH and Portsmouth, NH.  As good of a selection as NC (if slightly more haphazard), great staff, and regional flavor...

...but a lot less of the toys, clothes and other gewgaws.

Plus, their rewards program comes in handy for a free CD every so often.

Their online database also works well to find out what's in stock and ordering is easy.

Newbury Comics is my next best option, esp. in Mass.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I was saddened when I went to the Alewife location and discovered it was closed.  It closed sometime before Thanksgiving.  The staff was very friendly and quick to help.  It's too bad because they were the only location that was convenient for me.

I was told that most of the staff were moved to other locations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

I'm walking distance from work (actually I can see the CVS sign from where I'm typing. The old location used to be where the CVS is) and I haven't  been in there in at least 5 years.    I remember getting greeted at the door last time I went in with a 'can I help you?'.   What?  I felt like the old guy looking for a Stevie Wonder record for his daughter in 'High Fidelity'.   It didn't help that the blues section was only about 12 artists strong.  Edit: Yup, the used section was good.  Easily the best part of the store as far as I was concerned.   I never cared for all  the other non-music crap they carried and there was alot of that. 

The used CDs were also placed in bins by artist, Slim, so you could actually check specifically, and conveniently.  I found some of my most treasured CDs because of good timing, and hitting the bin(s) when there just happened to be a used copy of a CD by an artist I wanted, as though it was waiting for me.   

They also had deals on CDs, seemingly picked at random.   I got two of my current favorite albums for dirt cheap that way, too.   

When they moved across the street (the Whole Foods side) I never even noticed any of the non-music items.   As far as I was concerned, they weren't even there.   If you work within walking distance, it's a shame you didn't know about the closing, as they probably had some good, final deals.    Then again, I have no idea if the blues and roots sections would have had much of a selection.  

I just found it a great "go to" place, and even sold a couple of stacks of CDs there over the last couple of years.   

I buy plenty online, don't get me wrong, but I always thought that location was an institution, and having it close is like losing a landmark.   Ah well.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I was saddened when I went to the Alewife location and discovered it was closed.  It closed sometime before Thanksgiving.  The staff was very friendly and quick to help.  It's too bad because they were the only location that was convenient for me. I was told that most of the staff were moved to other locations. 

If it closed shortly before Thanksgiving, that makes sense insofar as my knowledge of it.   It was the only truly convenient location for me, too.   I got to know the staff a bit, so it's nice to hear they were offered positions in other locations.  

And all in all ...

... they still have locations in Northampton and North Dartmouth, if you can believe it, so I don't think they're going out of business any time soon.   Just bum luck Alewife closed.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

ive always been a fan of newbury comics. There were times when they were the only place I could find certian music. Way better than those crap mall record/tape stores. I perosnally miss places like Disc Diggers in Somerville a bit more though

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I have a "Turn it up" record store about 300 feet away that I frequent for CDs.The majority of my music came from eBay when I wanted a specific CD and I know I wanted it.

"Turn it up" provides me with a lot of the music I didn't know I couldn't live without until I had seen it.

By the way,Alewife is where I catch the T to go to Fenway Park

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I use to go to "In Your Ear Records" in Boston - Comm Ave I think. That was/is a great place to buy all kinds of music - imports too! Haven't been there in years don't know if it's still there. I never really got into the retail chain music stores - Newbury Comics, Strawberries, Virgin.  I always liked the "eclectic" selection of music and customers at the independent record stores! Bumped into Peter Wolf in one record store....   ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

My thirst for more diverse titles eventually led me away from the stores and I started ordering from a number of sellers in Goldmine magazine. There was a couple of really good ones , one in New Jersey, one in Maryland that always had great , hard-to-find titles. My collection grew, but I always will remember stopping at my favorite record stores and spending a good hour to hour and a half checking to see if there was anything new that I couldn't live without....it was great therapy to quietly browse for a while  after an 8 hour day at work.

To quote Steely Dan, from 'Pretzel Logic'...."These things are gone forever, over a long time ago....oh, yeah..."

I think I purchased music from that place in Maryland (can't remember the name) too Zilla - good selection, imports too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

I am still shocked the chain still exists to be honest. They had to change a lot of what they carried to fend off a dying industry, but it is an institution of sorts.  Sad to see these old school places dry up. 

It's the survival of the fittest; so many stores have closed, yet Newbury Comics is still holding on.  

I get their newsletter once/week that lists new releases, and at the top of this week's news there's an announcement for a  NEW store at the Northshore Mall.   Go figure.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I think I purchased music from that place in Maryland (can't remember the name) too Zilla - good selection, imports too!

This seller specialized in Prog rock and Metal....I think they had the word "pig" in the name. I bought most of my Uriah Heep and Nazareth CDs from this seller all with bonus tracks.

Sections
Shortcuts