Newport Folk Fest 2013 --> Sold Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Newport Folk Fest 2013 --> Sold Out

Per its website, the venerable Newport Folk Festival has sold out of both Saturday and Sunday passes already (Friday passes still available)...ten days before March.

http://www.newportfolkfest.net/ 

The missus and I were intending to go but wanted to see a full-fledged lineup.  Now, it looks like we'll be on the outside looking in (or maybe out on the water).

Decide for yourself if the artists-as-listed were worth the early rush.  Obviously, we didn't think so, but maybe we missed something....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Newport Folk Fest 2013 --> Sold Out

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Per its website, the venerable Newport Folk Festival has sold out of both Saturday and Sunday passes already (Friday passes still available)...ten days before March.

The missus and I were intending to go but wanted to see a full-fledged lineup.  Now, it looks like we'll be on the outside looking in (or maybe out on the water).

Decide for yourself if the artists-as-listed were worth the early rush.  Obviously, we didn't think so, but maybe we missed something....

Am I missing something (too), or are there only a few artists listed?    Sold out to people who don't know or don't care who will be there?   

I guess there are people who either make assumptions that Newport will be great, or who simply feel that Newport is a "must" every year at this point.   

Personally, I don't have enough disposable income to pay up front for something when I don't even know what I am paying for.

But  don't lose heart ... I saw Jackson Browne last year on livestream, and while it was not as good as being there ... it was *damn* good.    I also saw the Wilco concert that way, which was unfathomably good: FREE.  Again, not as good as being there, but it was astonishing.   

So you and Mrs. M. could sit down to livestream, cheap beer and cheap eats, nice and comfy, and still see the acts you want to see.   NO regrets, none at all.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Am I missing something (too), or are there only a few artists listed?    Sold out to people who don't know or don't care who will be there?   

I guess there are people who either make assumptions that Newport will be great, or who simply feel that Newport is a "must" every year at this point.   

Personally, I don't have enough disposable income to pay up front for something when I don't even know what I am paying for.

But  don't lose heart ... I saw Jackson Browne last year on livestream, and while it was not as good as being there ... it was *damn* good.    I also saw the Wilco concert that way, which was unfathomably good: FREE.  Again, not as good as being there, but it was astonishing.   

So you and Mrs. M. could sit down to livestream, cheap beer and cheap eats, nice and comfy, and still see the acts you want to see.   NO regrets, none at all.   

Thanks, yoga.

But we're married.  We do that enough already.  Any chance to get out and about, we take it.  ;))

On the bright side, LIG is probably a done deal.  And we're looking into Atlanta in May and maybe Grand Point North again in September.

Then, there's always the Newport Jazz Fest, too....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Sold out already? Some of these festivals seem to be moving away from what they were originally intended. Venues used to be known for the type of music and artists they attracted. Most now just seem to be chasing bigger acts regardless of who they are and not how they fit (see Yoga's Bonnaroo thread).

Nothing wrong with growing with the times -- Newport went a little more mainstream last year, which probably led to higher expectations this year, and why it sold out so fast. I'm not sure the talent this year will warrant it, but it may be a sign of just how popular these festivals have become.

Still, it's a great summer weekend of music!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks, yoga.

But we're married.  We do that enough already.  Any chance to get out and about, we take it.  ;))

On the bright side, LIG is probably a done deal.  And we're looking into Atlanta in May and maybe Grand Point North again in September.

Then, there's always the Newport Jazz Fest, too....

I saw the lineup (not sure when tickets go on sale) for Newport Jazz Fest just last weekend in the Globe; didn't post the information since we're not too jazz-centric here, but it looks good.    It's local, too, so doable.    If the spirit moves you to go, it might be a more interesting experience to hang out and listen to jazz (and whatever fushion acts that will be there) and branch out for a day or two.   

Sometimes it's better not to do a repeat two years in a row, esp. if you had a transcendent experience that would be nearly impossible to replicate two years in a row.  

I find it somewhat troubling, nonetheless, that ticket sales commence prior to a lineup being revealed (have they even secured the lineup -- is it all nailed?  makes one wonder...), thereby setting up the general public to feel the pressure to buy a ticket up front, for fear of losing out to a sold out house.  This new trend of revealing the acts name by name (week by week ...) is offputting.   Whatever.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I saw the lineup (not sure when tickets go on sale) for Newport Jazz Fest just last weekend in the Globe; didn't post the information since we're not too jazz-centric here, but it looks good.    It's local, too, so doable.    If the spirit moves you to go, it might be a more interesting experience to hang out and listen to jazz (and whatever fushion acts that will be there) and branch out for a day or two.   

Sometimes it's better not to do a repeat two years in a row, esp. if you had a transcendent experience that would be nearly impossible to replicate two years in a row.  

I find it somewhat troubling, nonetheless, that ticket sales commence prior to a lineup being revealed (have they even secured the lineup -- is it all nailed?  makes one wonder...), thereby setting up the general public to feel the pressure to buy a ticket up front, for fear of losing out to a sold out house.  This new trend of revealing the acts name by name (week by week ...) is offputting.   Whatever.  :)

For us, the setting is a big part of the draw, and the jazz crowd tends to be a little more mature, if I recall correctly.  But you're right...taking a year off does help keep things in perspective.  

FWIW, we're also looking into the Solid Sound Fest out in North Adams, headlined by Wilco, in mid-June.  As they are one of my favorite bands right now, the fates may have conspired favorably this year.  Mountain Jam is another possibility.

I'll also add that Newport is a limited venue in terms of open space.  Add in four performance stages and the area fills up quickly, especially in front of the main stage.

As for the rolling lineup announcements, that's par for the course, I think.  Some festival tickets went on sale before Christmas at early bird rates before a single act is revealed.  In some cases, I've known people who buy the tix in advance anyway, then re-sell closer to the date.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

I'm of two minds as I look over the website.   I only recognize two of the performers.   Not surprising, because I'm always years behind in everything.   But my favorite shows have always been the unexpected.  So, this should be great stuff,  and yet  ....

As I look at the pictures, and the 'look' of all these acts,  it screams 'trendy'.  

Is the 'look' of a band enough of a barometer? (For me, it barely registers, as most hipster folkies are hard to tell apart at a glance.)

All I can say is I knew of maybe 30% of last year's acts.  Today, a majority are getting radio play and various wide notices.

And I agree re: "trendy", but it can be invigorating (and cheaper) to see an artist before they become that "next big thing".

I recall Wilco playing 35 minutes on the small stage at HORDE almost 20 years ago and can't help but smile.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Sold out already? Some of these festivals seem to be moving away from what they were originally intended. Venues used to be known for the type of music and artists they attracted. Most now just seem to be chasing bigger acts regardless of who they are and not how they fit (see Yoga's Bonnaroo thread).

Nothing wrong with growing with the times -- Newport went a little more mainstream last year, which probably led to higher expectations this year, and why it sold out so fast. I'm not sure the talent this year will warrant it, but it may be a sign of just how popular these festivals have become.

Still, it's a great summer weekend of music!

Are they moving away from what was intended?   Not sure it's that as much as it's a matter of the music having changed in terms of definition and style, ie, are there enough (or any, for that matter?) folk artists these days?  Aren't they all indie folk, or alt folk, or slow rock, or folk rock, or even shoe-gazer style ... ?    It's all fused now.   How many of the older folk acts can they possibly afford to book before the festival lineup would appear stale and staid?  

Not sure what "mainstream" is for the Newport FF, but I was just looking at past lineups and they've had mega-stars appear for years:  Jimmy Buffet?   The Black Crowes?  Yup.  They've had loads of them, esp. in the past 5-7 years.   

However, if what you're implying is that the lineups to the various festivals are all beginning to run and blend together and be decidedly non-distinct (for the mostpart), I sure agree.  :)  I'd never go to a country music festival, per se, but I'd like to see what's even considered "country" these days, and see if they've suffered a similar fate.  I have no idea. 

I could name names of some typical, and in some cases, popular folk singers,  past, present and emerging, that I personally cannot deal with or stomach -- but I won't.   :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm of two minds as I look over the website.   I only recognize two of the performers.   Not surprising, because I'm always years behind in everything.   But my favorite shows have always been the unexpected.  So, this should be great stuff,  and yet  ....

As I look at the pictures, and the 'look' of all these acts,  it screams 'trendy'.  Sold out in a flash?  Yup, trendy.  I absolutely hate trendy.  I guess you guys covered some of this in that Mumford thread, but it was too wordy and too deep for this simple mind.

I'm sure I would love the music, if I were to go.   But for now I'm in the thick of finally catching up with some 90's trendy bands, so this will have to wait until all the trendy folks have moved on to the next shiney object and I can absorb it minus the crowds.  Back to watching 'Mother Love Bone' on youtube for this guy, as I digest the notion of Eddie Vedder as a two-faced back stabber.  

I like being two decades behind, I just have to make sure it doesn't slip to three decades, otherwise, fashion being what it is,  I'll have resynced with the masses. 

There are only a dozen acts on the website as of today ... so what "screams" trendy about them?    

The festival's popularity is a "trend" in recent years, because they seem to have expanded the lineups to suit the changing landscape of music ... and evolved.    What seems trendy to you is par for the course for others.     

My father always used the word "modern" -- maybe the same way you use trendy.   He'd call our music "modern" as opposed to popular, or youth-oriented, or whatever -- it was just his word.   He'd call everything modern, including clothing styles, furnishings, automobiles, movies, etc.  The word was 'modern';  your word is trendy.   :)  

Insofar as playing catch up with music -- is there really such a thing?  It's all there for the taking, whether you ride the wave when it's "new", or come in later, after a band has a bunch of albums to their credit.   Makes no difference.  I always say that (lately, especially), I like to "kick the tires" for a while before I invest in some music -- other music, I seem to know right away it has my name on it.   Either way, if you're pursuing and discovering music that you like, that's a good thing, and has nothing to do with what decade it's from.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Matt's right, I'm probably missing out on some awesome stuff.  Eventually I'll catch up with some of it, but I suspect even some of these performers will have put away the banjoes by then.

You misunderstand.

For me, the benefits outweighed the costs.  For you and others, mileage may vary, and I'm not trying to indoctrinate anyone...just offering my point-of-view.

Some choose to get all of their new music online, alone, at home.  Others like the scene of a crowded (formerly smoky) bar.  Still others like pastoral settings and hundreds of their new best friends.

Personally, I could care less about banjoes and autoharps and scraggly 'dexys midnight wannabes'.  I want something that moves me, that strikes a chord, that doesn't bore the crappe out of me.  Looking down the barrels of middle-age, I've come to value experiences far more than things, and live music is a big part of that.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Got it Matt.  Since you were shut out of Newport, you might want to check out the Green River Festival.  I went 2 years ago.  They haven't announced this years lineup yet, but last years is still up and gives you a sense of what's coming.  This one definitely sells out too, although never as fast as Newport did:

http://www.greenriverfestival.com/about.html

Thanks for the tip, Slim...!

Worth checking out based on last year's lineup alone.

Nothing wrong with exploring alternatives...

...and as it happens there were/are overlapping acts between Newport and Green River.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yes Yoga, I am your father. (You'll have to picture James Earl's voice for the full effect that I'm going for.  Work with me).  

Maybe it's just this website, but I'm seeing a faux sephia effect, with most of the acts opting for an old time look.  They've spent too much time trying to achieve the look, that's my fear.  And I'm having trouble buying it, because I listen to alot of old time and folk and blues stuff in person and to me it's free, or very inexpensive, and performed in front of 10 people.   Newport is for the Brie and Wine Money crowd as far as I'm concerned. 

My position is of course ludicrious and indefensible. And if Devil shows up to surgically dissect me again, I'm tucking tail and heading for the hills.   Matt's right, I'm probably missing out on some awesome stuff.  Eventually I'll catch up with some of it, but I suspect even some of these performers will have put away the banjoes by then.

You made me chuckle and I'll take this as a compliment. Funny thing is, this time I understand what you're saying and kind of agree,even though I know next to nothing about today's version of updated old time music. I think Allison Krauss and Iris Dement have the right approach to updating old timey music for today's music listener. But really, all that many of the younger musicians can do is affect the look and vibe of old time music without really capturing it at all. But for me, that is true of any retro movements. I will always prefer the originals that happened at a precise time and place in history and can never really be duplicated.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'd go for Jim James and Andrew Bird but the rest of the lineup seems rather uninspiring.