Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- How seedy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- How seedy?

I'm the least likely person to start a thread on Nick Cave, but here's to anyoe who wants to pick up the thread and comment on any / all experience with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Grinderman, or any of Cave's musical incarnations.  

The Aussie-born singer / songwriter is also an author, occasional actor, composer and poet.    One thing he is not is ordinary.    With over 30 years in the music industry, he seems to be a grand example of the ever-evolving artist (eclectic?) who has put every ounce of his multi-faceted talent to work in one way or another.    

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds released their latest album, "Push the Sky Away" just a few weeks ago; it is their first release in over 5-years, and their first on their own label.    Cave has also been with a side project called Grinderman, the wild child offspring of the Seeds, since 2006.   NOTE:  Cave is performing a one-off with Grinderman at Coachella 2013.   

"Push the Sky Away" (available in vinyl, BTW), reportedly shows the evolution of the band from "wild beast, to rock dignitary, and back again."   I've listened to some of the tracks, and offhand, I like them (along with some of their older material).   If I get hold of this album, it will be my first.  

It seems there'd be something for everyone in Cave's catalogue; there's quite a bit of diversity.   

Frank Zappa meets Tom Waits?   Does that resonate?     Anyone?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- How seedy?

Ive always enjoyed Nick Cave.. He was great with Grinderman when they played here a few years ago.. Ive listened to a few of the new songs.. I prefer when he was angrier when younger haha... But I like the guy.. He does a great cover of the The Pogues Rainy Night and Soho

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

This guy sounds a "little" like Sandman from Morhine - IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUlgN__Jrxk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

'Red Right Hand' is one of my favorite songs. It's one of those haunting, creepy songs that stays in your head for days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I've always been a casual fan.  Not devout by any means.  "Red Right Hand" is the first song I heard, too.

However, "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" was kind of a turning point album for me and led me further into their catalog (and Grinderman).  It was by far one of my favorite releases that year.  The last song, "More News From Nowhere" is sublime.

The Mark Sandman reference is funny, because I always viewed he and Nick as kind of kindred spirits (no pun intended).  My somewhat recent introduction to Scott Walker felt similar.  But where Morphine is dark, slinky and sexy, Cave is often just too dark...like he's trying to shock instead of inspire and thus feels like a cop-out.  Both certainly had an ear for atmosphere and cinematic overtones.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I've always been a casual fan.  Not devout by any means.  "Red Right Hand" is the first song I heard, too.

However, "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" was kind of a turning point album for me and led me further into their catalog (and Grinderman).  It was by far one of my favorite releases that year.  The last song, "More News From Nowhere" is sublime.

The Mark Sandman reference is funny, because I always viewed he and Nick as kind of kindred spirits (no pun intended).  My somewhat recent introduction to Scott Walker felt similar.  But where Morphine is dark, slinky and sexy, Cave is often just too dark...like he's trying to shock instead of inspire and thus feels like a cop-out.  Both certainly had an ear for atmosphere and cinematic overtones.

Thanks, everyone.  I was a bit taken aback when I saw what a lengthy career Nick Cave has had, and like him or not, he seems to have reinvented himself on a few turns, and stayed relevant.  

The song posted not only has a similar sound to Morphine, but also a similar feel.  

I watched a video review (Needle-drop, the geek) of Nick Cave and the current album (it was hysterically funny) and in summary, he said that the question to ask about Nick Cave isn't so much *if* he's deeply disturbed, but rather, *how deeply* disturbed.   hahaha.   It seems the material varies.  Heavy use of narcotics for a number of years might have had a bit to do with it.   Neither here nor there.  

Very unusual-looking guy.  His looks alone attract attention.  

ETA: Forgot to mention, speaking of trying to shock or whatever -- the cover photograph of the new album features Cave's wife naked  (Okay, the internet will now crash as you all go take a look at it ... hahaha ..  seriously, I'd do the same thing, but it's not a closeup, and not that big a deal).  If it's okay with them, it's okay with me.  :)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He's interesting.  My first impression was that his material is on the downer side.

Sections
Shortcuts