No-show or replacements experiences @ concerts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No-show or replacements experiences @ concerts

Hey, all -- if I hadn't read a review of a concert (this particular concert has two performances, so the review was in regard to the first one; my tickets were to attend the performance today), I never would have been aware that the artist (classical trumpet  star) that was almost the sole reason for going in the first place, cancelled due to illness.   Apparently, the "replacement" piece that the orchestra performed was done so well, and was so seamless, no one ever would have known it was performed with barely time for a rehearsal.   Nice. 

I would probably have gone anyhow, but since my friend didn't mind doing a ticket exchange, the cancellation opened the door for me to go to a yoga workshop, so really, even though I am disappointed re: not hearing the trumpet star (a woman, BTW), I am beyond pleased to be able to attend the workshop.  Leaving soon, in fact.

Any experiences with cancellations / replacements at concerts?  Did you end up seeing a musician or hear unexpected music that was a nice surprise?  Or a disaster?  Or ...?   Anyone ever show up so late the crowd got ... ??   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: No-show or replacements experiences @ concerts

I was gutted a few years ago when one of my all-time favourite bands, Radio Birdman, was on tour in Europe but literally as they were getting on a ferry from France the drummer quit, no London show.  Almost cried, but at least had seen them a few years before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I was gutted a few years ago when one of my all-time favourite bands, Radio Birdman, was on tour in Europe but literally as they were getting on a ferry from France the drummer quit, no London show.  Almost cried, but at least had seen them a few years before.

Excellent example, although I'm sorry it wasn't a "good" replacement story. 

The ultimate in bummers  -- a band mate quits right on the way to a show?   Makes you realize that you should not put off the chance to see a band, and I'm glad you did see them at a prior time.

My heart sank when I saw that today's concert would be sans the trumpet star, and if it hadn't been for the yoga workshop (which was fantastic -- and FUN), I probably would have been close to tears, too.

BTW:  The trumpet soloist is Alison Balsom.   She's a native of the UK, only 35 years old, and plays a musical instrument that has long been dominated by males, so along with her talent, her poise and her beauty (she's very pretty), she's breaking ground.

She was scheduled to make her debut with Handel & Haydn Society's orchestra today, until she cancelled. 

Alison Balsom, for anyone interested (esp. if you love trumpet as much as I do) -- there are many youtube videos of her playing, click on any of them for more):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-n6ZBkm52c&list=PL18C48BBF8CFBCD2D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Speaking of Replacements..I saw the Replacements back at the channel in the 80's Westerberg was hitting the bottle real hard. after a few songs he asked if anyone could sing the songs. He had to bail. Some dude got up and did a decent job. Westerberg came back about an hour later after a bit of a nap I think..

Once also in 80's shane MacGowan ahd gone AWOL as he had when drugging. He was kicked out and replaced by Joe Strummer. Not bad thoguh. One legend to another. The show went on

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Once during an Oasis show in Boston, Liam was raving drunk, couldn't sing and left stage in a cloud of profanity and spittle, Noel stepped in, sang all of the songs and finished the show quite nicely.

From what I understand, that might not have been the only such incident (or worse).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Speaking of Mechanics Hall, I'll be back there tomorrow to see Bela Fleck.  Banjo and classical music.  I'm not sure about this one, but it will no doubt be different.

Nice!  I catch Bela every couple of years for the last 20 or so.  Last time was in Lowell.  He is always just a marvel to watch...a true virtuoso.

Enjoy the show!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Once during an Oasis show in Boston, Liam was raving drunk, couldn't sing and left stage in a cloud of profanity and spittle, Noel stepped in, sang all of the songs and finished the show quite nicely.

From what I understand, that might not have been the only such incident (or worse).

In my "replacement" situation on Sunday, they had to replace the piece of music entirely; no trumpet soloist, no trumpet concerto (even I know that much!) 

I just tried to imagine a classical trumpet soloist like Alison Balsom, showing up hammered, becoming vulgar and being hauled off stage ... then a heroic member of the orchestra steps in to save the concert playing ... ?   A tuba?   :)

I'm sure there are too many examples to count when rockers have not been able to perform an entire concert for various "ailments" ; the ability to improvise and carry on only makes the rest of the band more impressive, maybe even gives them a chance to shine.   Not sure it's the best way to get that chance, but it's part of what makes a band legendary,  I guess. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Fortunately....none.

Though I would probably avoid ever buying tickets to a show if the artist is known for not showing/storming off/too messed up to perform. That's just downright insulting.

I just don't get how people still buy G n' R tickets, for example. Twenty years later, and Axl is apparently still taking 3-4 hrs just to get on the stage.

Show up utterly wrecked if you want, but make sure you're able to perform just as well (Slash, Duff, Layne, Richards, etc etc etc)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I just tried to imagine a classical trumpet soloist like Alison Balsom, showing up hammered, becoming vulgar and being hauled off stage ... then a heroic member of the orchestra steps in to save the concert playing ... ?   A tuba?   :)

Brings to memory that video someone posted of the time Keith Moon passed out and they got someone from the audience to fill in (perfectly).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's not a no-show / replacement situation but we had to wait 3 hours for GnR to take the stage at the Felt Forum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yoga wrote    " I am disappointed re: not hearing the trumpet star (a woman, BTW),"

What difference does it make if the trumpet player was a man or woman? Does the trumpet sound any different?

Here's a saxaphone player you may know SHE'S great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfSQ3lQmJw

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's not a no-show / replacement situation but we had to wait 3 hours for GnR to take the stage at the Felt Forum.

Well, it's a related issue.  Did you see the other comment re: GnR?   Makes you wonder if anyone bothers to show up on time for the concert.  Might as well arrive at least 2 hours late yourself, and save some aggravation.     Anyhow, hope the experience was worth the wait. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Yoga wrote    " I am disappointed re: not hearing the trumpet star (a woman, BTW),"

What difference does it make if the trumpet player was a man or woman? Does the trumpet sound any different?

Here's a saxaphone player you may know SHE'S great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfSQ3lQmJw

Alison Balsom is great, regardless of her gender, granted. 

However, her gender, in addition to her accomplishments, success, and the level she has reached as a female in the classical music world is every bit as impressive and important to mention since it is a well known issue that classical orchestras are still under-employing women.  It's a very male-dominated part of the music world, continues to be sexist, and therefore, women who are breaking through that barrier are still perceived as rare.   

There are many women who are employed as classical musicians, but very few of them get launched into stardom in the way Balsom has; it's exciting.  I suppose if I'd mentioned her name first, it would not have been necessary to say that I was referring to a woman, but I didn't expect anyone to pick nits about it.  :P   I do look forward to having a chance to see her at some point, hopefully they can book her next season.  I'd love to see her. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

People wait in lines (for hours)  to get into restaurants.   They wait in lines for hours, or days, to get tickets to sports or music events.   They camp out for hours in order to get a front space at the Esplanade on July 4th.     They wait in lines to buy Apple products, at times, camping overnight.   You're either in that camp or you're not.   Some people are just "programmed" that way and/or are compulsive about being "first".  That, or they have "issues" and should seek help.  :)  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

DMV, Emergency Room, Returning Cable modem, Airport Security, Disney/Universal/Great Adventure, Starbucks, CVS Checkout.  It's really amazing how much time we spend on lines.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Nice!  I catch Bela every couple of years for the last 20 or so.  Last time was in Lowell.  He is always just a marvel to watch...a true virtuoso.

Enjoy the show!

It was an interesting.  Chamber Music with a banjo and string quartet.  Actually outside of a 10 minute tribute to Pete Seeger that was Bela alone, it was more about the Quartet. 

They were excellent. I loved the entire first set and about half of the second before I tired.  Two plus hours of that was too much. The last number was something that Butler University commissioned.  Bela joked it was an hour and half long.  It was only about 25 minutes, but it sure felt like 1.5 hours.  

We made a beeline for the exit before they came back for the encore.  I felt relieved, but then I felt bad, because we weren't the only ones, I never saw that many people racing out when you knew an encore was coming.

Thanks for sharing...sounds like most of the show was worthwhile, at least.

Bela Fleck is indeed an eclectic, restless artist, and I've never seen him play the same show or song twice in quite the same way.  As a live act, I always prefer him backed by the Flecktones (Future Man!), but he's still never been boring otherwise.

In some ways, he was a big door for me into the contemporary jazz world in the early- to mid-90s (in addition to banjo/bluegrass music generally).  I don't think there's a music genre he hasn't touched in some way.

Someone once called him the 'yo-yo ma of the banjo', which makes as much sense as anything, I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

DMV, Emergency Room, Returning Cable modem, Airport Security, Disney/Universal/Great Adventure, Starbucks, CVS Checkout.  It's really amazing how much time we spend on lines.

I was going to mention Disney, too, as well as going to DC -- except when the government s _ huts down and then you don't have to worry about waiting in line because everything is closed.  

As Obama said in his address this week, most things in life that are worth working for do not come easy.   :D

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Someone once called him the 'yo-yo ma of the banjo', which makes as much sense as anything, I guess.

Not sure I'd put Yo-Yo Ma in the same sentence, but ... (refer to my Steve Earle / Tom Petty thread)  -- just kidding.   Well, sort of.   YYM is an accomplished musician of such epic proportions, to use your words: YYM is an entire "planet."  :)

Yo-Yo Ma did, in fact, already put bluegrass and classical together not long ago, and they made a recording called "The Goat Rodeo Sessions" -- I posted on it, in fact, but that thread is long gone.

I listened to them perform on WGBH, and I can't say I gravitated to the music at all.  Might be an acquired taste.    Interesting collaboration, in any event. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

People wait in lines (for hours)  to get into restaurants.   They wait in lines for hours, or days, to get tickets to sports or music events.   They camp out for hours in order to get a front space at the Esplanade on July 4th.     They wait in lines to buy Apple products, at times, camping overnight.   You're either in that camp or you're not.   Some people are just "programmed" that way and/or are compulsive about being "first".  That, or they have "issues" and should seek help.  :)  

I am so far at the other end of the spectrum it isn't funny. The best thing that ever happened for me was the internet, which is a very often a way around some of that waiting in line. The best way around it is to be rich, powerful, and in the "right" social group. Do ya think rich, poweful people ever wait in line for anything?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not sure I'd put Yo-Yo Ma in the same sentence, but ... (refer to my Steve Earle / Tom Petty thread)  -- just kidding.   Well, sort of.   YYM is an accomplished musician of such epic proportions, to use your words: YYM is an entire "planet."  :)

Yo-Yo Ma did, in fact, already put bluegrass and classical together not long ago, and they made a recording called "The Goat Rodeo Sessions" -- I posted on it, in fact, but that thread is long gone.

I listened to them perform on WGBH, and I can't say I gravitated to the music at all.  Might be an acquired taste.    Interesting collaboration, in any event. 

In the simplistic terms of mastery of their respective instruments, I would indeed put both in the "virtuoso" category...

...but I was referring more to their ability to play across genres at very high levels.  Obviously, Yo-Yo Ma has a few years and many more miles logged than Bela.

Sections
Shortcuts