Nobody's here today...my big chance to "stump the panel."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Nobody's here today...my big chance to "stump the panel."

My motto, if you can't beat 'em, try cheating. ...: )

But, with everyone snapping up those Black Friday steals or just trying to recover from making pigs of themselves, this might be my big chance to stump the panel, at least for a few hours ( which would be a record). Sure, it's not fair....but can you blame me for trying?

The Doobie Brothers had many big hits, but two of these songs were also recorded by other famous artists.

One of the artists was a co-writer of the song he recorded and it actually was released before the Doobies version....it was a #1 hit for the Doobies in 1979, one of the few #1s that was not a Disco song....thank you Doobie Brothers!

The other was covered by a female artist and was a hit single for her also.

Both were written or co-written by the same Doobie Brother.

Name the songs and the artists that recorded the two songs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Nobody's here today...my big chance to

Byrds - Jesus is Just Alright is one, I think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I believe Carole King singing "You belong to me" is a song which the Doobies also did.I think she wrote it with Mike McDonald

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Byrds - Jesus is Just Alright is one, I think.

thats the one I came up with off the bat

I would have guessed it was "What a fool believes".Although I like Jesus is just alright much better. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I totally forgot about "You Belong to Me." ...if you had guessed this and Mojo did , it wasn't one of the correct answers...however, the artist who did it would have been one of the correct answers- Carly Simon.

Answers- Greg got this one, but was reluctant to give credit to Michael McDonald for being a Doobie Brother. Sure, he's not an original Doobie Brother but I feel that he added a new dimension to a great group. They took on a Bluesy , Soulful feel with McDonald on vocals and keyboards (Johnston played guitar). Admittedly the Doobies fronted by Tom Johnston were the superior  rock 'n roll line-up.  So, the first answer is "What A Fool Believes" co-written by McDonald and Kenny Loggins and recorded by both.

2nd answer- Carly Simon recorded "It Keeps You Runnin'" , also written by McDonald and originally the other big hit from the Takin' It To The Streets LP....disappointing in that it included only one track with Tom on vocals ( appartently suffering from a serious illness) but simply too good of an album to ignore. A change in direction for the bad to an even more commercial sound. But so many really good songs, you hardly missed Tom Johnston, in a way.

Sections
Shortcuts