Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No:
    [QUOTE]I think Madonna lost all credibility when started speaking with a British accent after she married Guy Ritchie.....it's like she became English by injection.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

hahaha, by injection! priceless!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]No problem. I know what you mean....Written communication is tough. I reread my emails at work all the time before sending (did I use the appropriate word?, did I hit "reply all" by accident?)....
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]Thanks.  Makes me feel better.  I don't know much about batting averages (is a good one .500?), but whatever a really *bad* batting average is, that's my batting average for "getting" sarcasm online.  Reeeaaaalllly bad.   But it's now gotten to be a joke,  and all I can so is laugh at myself, and I am very good at that! 
    Heading out.  Have a nice day.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

[QUOTE]Bono makes the list for me. I know I would have liked U2 a lot more if it were not for Bono's over-inflated ego standing in the way of the music.  I know he's done a lot of (social) good, and that's to his credit, but the way he incessantly sticks his face in every social cause gets tiresome.  It's also annoying watching other celebrities and politicians suck up to him. I feel slightly guilty criticizing him for being a social activist, but in keeping this criticism to the dealbreaker issue, I feel justified. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

This I agree with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Bono makes the list for me.

This guy should be the poster child for insufferable narcissim and I'm assuming this thread was created with him in mind . . .   he's certainly the first person I thought of when I opened the thread and those who have been around here for a while should be familiar with my feelings about Mr. Hewson.

I've never really had a problem with U2's music (although I stopped listening to them long and long ago), but I already have a conscience -- thank you -- and I don't need some out-of-touch, uber-wealthy prima donna informing me just exactly how bad I should feel, and about what.

I guess it all came to a head for me after Rattle and Hum. I was dating this girl at the time who simply adored U2 and used to play that DVD constantly, and every time Bono came on with that line about how he didn't mean to "bug" us about how deplorable we all are . . .  well . . .   I just wanted to punch him right in his pretentious face.

Other than that, I have no strong feelings on the matter.

Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

When it comes to narcissism, we should remember we are talking about rock stars. Narcissism is practically a job requirement . I think the OP was leaningmore toward immoral or criminal behavior as a non-musical dealbreaker. Do any of us know what kind of personality Mozart had? Would knowing that stop you from enjoying his music?

As far as musical performers coming down on us from the moral high ground, isn't that exactly what the Dixie Chicks did? And yet some of you praise them for that. I thought their political statement was just as much nonsense as Bono's pontificating. But that never stops me from enjoying their music.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : No you like some country music you just ignore it, for some reason.  So when they attacked Bush you said hey that is good I will listen.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

Gosh ... you're so deep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I could care less one way or another about an artist and his/her morality, political beliefs, drug addictions or anything else.

Yeah, they came be annoying at times. But as long as they put a smile on my face and ears. it is all good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I could care less one way or another about an artist and his/her morality, political beliefs, drug addictions or anything else. Yeah, they came be annoying at times. But as long as they put a smile on my face and ears. it is all good.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I couldn't care less about that stuff. Unless, I should add, the artist in question is a bigot. That most definitely would be a deal-breaker.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : It's weird ... before the incident, I never really listened to them. Dismissed them as country, which for the most part I don't like. But after Natalie's comments, I don't know if they went more away from country or what, but I listened to "Taking the Long Way" CD and loved it. Which is kind of a reverse of the OP, I realize.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    What you have here, Lloyd, is in the "best career move" category.  Make a political statement, cause a flap, get attention, and gain market share.   They didn't make the statement for commercial reasons, it was genuine, but it did attract attention, both negative and positive (as in your case).

It also attracted negative attention, and they may have lost fans, but I would think they have been forgiven by now.  So yes, in your situation it's the reverse of a dealbreaker, but the incident itself for others, could easily have been a dealbreaker. 

They're too twangy for me, and the majority of country music does not appeal to me.  But if you like the Chicks, there are other country singers that are not hard core country you might like such as Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Martina McBride, and of course, Emmy Lou Harris.  Mary Chapin Carpenter is still considered country, but she's more folk, and a very intelligent song-writer. 

PS I love "Friday Night Lights" and will savor every episode, since this is the final season.   Moves me to the core; the show is unrivaled, matchless and incomparable in every way, and I'm sad it never caught fire. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : This guy should be the poster child for insufferable narcissim and I'm assuming this thread was created with him in mind . . .   he's certainly the first person I thought of when I opened the thread and those who have been around here for a while should be familiar with my feelings about Mr. Hewson. I've never really had a problem with U2's music (although I stopped listening to them long and long ago), but I already have a conscience -- thank you -- and I don't need some out-of-touch, uber-wealthy prima donna informing me just exactly how bad I should feel, and about what. I guess it all came to a head for me after Rattle and Hum .  Other than that, I have no strong feelings on the matter.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    p-mike,
    If you have my back regarding Bono, that's all I need.  Love it. 

Dude, you should drop in here more often, your rants and opinions are very entertaining.   I don't read the sports forums, but I can only imagine the nature of your comments on sports; must be some of the best. 
    Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]When it comes to narcissism, we should remember we are talking about rock stars. Narcissism is practically a job requirement . I think the OP was leaningmore toward immoral or criminal behavior as a non-musical dealbreaker. Do any of us know what kind of personality Mozart had? Would knowing that stop you from enjoying his music? As far as musical performers coming down on us from the moral high ground, isn't that exactly what the Dixie Chicks did? And yet some of you praise them for that. I thought their political statement was just as much nonsense as Bono's pontificating. But that never stops me from enjoying their music.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    dd,
    Understood.  Actually, I wasn't referring to anything in particular for a deal breaker, but I was definitely excluding morality as an issue.  I thought I made that clear enough, but perhaps not.  I don't scrutinize the moral behavior of entertainers.  As you said earlier in the thread, the sounds of silence would prevail if any of us did that. 

The examples I gave in my OP were of another variety, but I did say politics, and I also said  insufferable ego-centricity -- which I understand is almost a necessity in making it in the rock world -- but some show it more than others and if anything, some make it part of the show (think Mick Jagger) and it's very entertaining, and does not detract.  When they take it off the stage, say and behave in ways that take that narcissism in other directions, it can detract from their stage persona.  Sometimes.  For some people. 

As for the Dixie Chicks, I think that was a one-time shot, they're not in the habit of creating a stir or being in the public eye for political reasons.  It's not fair to compare them to Bono for that reason, as he has made it a way of life.  Additionally, it was a bigger deal for the DC's because the country music world is very patriotic and what they did was more daring, and more of a risk.  So yes, some of the general public did give them credit for that reason. 

Of course, if you're like me, you don't read a lot of celebrity gossip (it doesn't interest me and I can't tolerate much of it -- again, I'm a space alien about much of it) but there are headlines that are at times inescapable, and you are made aware of something without having to go digging for it. 

Maybe none of your musician faves have ever done anything that raised your hackles.  Not sure.  That wouldn't necessarily mean you'd abandon their music, but in the event it ever happens, it might make you lose respect or leave a bitter taste in your mouth as a fan, if you see what I mean. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I could care less one way or another about an artist and his/her morality, political beliefs, drug addictions or anything else. Yeah, they came be annoying at times. But as long as they put a smile on my face and ears. it is all good.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]I wasn't talking about morality.  I made that clear.  Not relevant. 

You're not being very forthcoming here. 

BTW, the topic of this thread was derived from comments in my RnR Hall of Fame thread, where you, among others,  made some pretty strong statements.  Seems you have a short memory, so here you go, jessey:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said Matty - Roach may very well be one of those musicians I would hate no matter what. The support he threw behind that Cop Killer will always be a sticking point with me.

Thanks - de la Roach. Hate him for all its worth. If I want to hear politically charged angry RnR, I will take out my old MC5 albums. I believe his anger was all a put on. I think he was a bigger poser than Brett Michaels. And that is saying a lot. At least Brett admitted to what he is.

Rage Against The Machine were the most useless band I ever heard. Sorry guys - Morello is over-rated and that singer needed to be put out of his misery. I don't even know his name because I thought he was a poser of the worst kind. I hate Che t-shirts.

Sorry - but Rage is the male equivalent of Patti Smith. I hate them so much, it is not even funny.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All direct quotes from another thread.  So?  None of your statements relate to music.  Not deal breakers?  Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Ha jessey burned!  One point for yoga....

Hey yoga, after our discussion on Madonna yesterday, I was flipping through the channels late last night and caught a funny scene from "Everybody Loves Raymond". It was a flashback and Raymond wanted to know if his wife (girlfriend at the time) was going to finally sleep with him.  One of his buddies suggested that he "ask her if she likes Madonna, then you know she has a little wild side to her.".....Smile

thought you'ld get a kick out of this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : I wasn't talking about morality.  I made that clear.  Not relevant.  You're not being very forthcoming here.  BTW, the topic of this thread was derived from comments in my RnR Hall of Fame thread, where you, among others,  made some pretty strong statements.  Seems you have a short memory, so here you go, jessey: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Like I said Matty - Roach may very well be one of those musicians I would hate no matter what. The support he threw behind that Cop Killer will always be a sticking point with me. Thanks - de la Roach. Hate him for all its worth. If I want to hear politically charged angry RnR, I will take out my old MC5 albums. I believe his anger was all a put on. I think he was a bigger poser than Brett Michaels . And that is saying a lot. At least Brett admitted to what he is.   Rage Against The Machine were the most useless band I ever heard. Sorry guys - Morello is over-rated and that singer needed to be put out of his misery. I don't even know his name because I thought he was a poser of the worst kind. I hate Che t-shirts. Sorry - but Rage is the male equivalent of Patti Smith. I hate them so much, it is not even funny. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- All direct quotes from another thread.  So?  None of your statements relate to music.  Not deal breakers? 

I was going to mention that, but no point rehashing something I already said. And as I also mentioned in that thread, I think Roach is nothing but a poser and will change what comes out of his mouth in a heart beat (including the support he through behind what's his name). My reason for disliking him and the band has more to do with music that I never found appealing. As for the Che shirts - that is not a political belief, that is just someone who has little understanding of the truth. It is a way to seem cool. 10 ywars ago, every t-shirt shop in NYC was selling that shirt. Kids were wearing it who had no idea who and what Che really stood for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Ha jessey burned!  One point for yoga.... Hey yoga, after our discussion on Madonna yesterday, I was flipping through the channels late last night and caught a funny scene from "Everybody Loves Raymond". It was a flashback and Raymond wanted to know if his wife (girlfriend at the time) was going to finally sleep with him.  One of his buddies suggested that he "ask her if she likes Madonna, then you know she has a little wild side to her."..... thought you'ld get a kick out of this.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]
    chazz,

Thanks -- I'm howling!   The more time I spend online, the more amused I get when the two "worlds" collide!  

What a beautiful day it was today.  Hope you enjoyed it. 

Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : I was going to mention that, but no point rehashing something I already said. And as I also mentioned in that thread, I think Roach is nothing but a poser and will change what comes out of his mouth in a heart beat (including the support he through behind what's his name). My reason for disliking him and the band has more to do with music that I never found appealing. As for the Che shirts - that is not a political belief, that is just someone who has little understanding of the truth. It is a way to seem cool. 10 ywars ago, every t-shirt shop in NYC was selling that shirt. Kids were wearing it who had no idea who and what Che really stood for.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Understood.  It was the way you said that nothing phases you ... when that was a clear contradiction of what you said 24 hours earlier, and with such a vehement tone.   And since when do we not "rehash" around here?  p-mike rehashes his contempt for Bono, and it gets more hilarious with each rehashing.   8)

So you have a couple of dealbreakers and I think that's cool, especially since your dealbreakers are about your principles. 

Hope you know, BTW, that I love pulling your leg (it's my job) ... and I wouldn't do it if it weren't so much fun (for me) and if we weren't friends.  Hope your day was as nice as mine and the sun was shining in the Big Apple. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : Understood.  It was the way you said that nothing phases you ... when that was a clear contradiction of what you said 24 hours earlier, and with such a vehement tone.   And since when do we not "rehash" around here?  p-mike rehashes his contempt for Bono, and it gets more hilarious with each rehashing.   8) So you have a couple of dealbreakers and I think that's cool, especially since your dealbreakers are about your principles.  Hope you know, BTW, that I love pulling your leg (it's my job) ... and I wouldn't do it if it weren't so much fun (for me) and if we weren't friends.  Hope your day was as nice as mine and the sun was shining in the Big Apple. 

You can pull my leg anytime. But just so we are clear - I dislike Roach, but that has no bearing on my dislike of RATM music. I don't like it because I think the music was boring and annoying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : dd, Understood.  Actually, I wasn't referring to anything in particular for a deal breaker, but I was definitely excluding morality as an issue.  I thought I made that clear enough, but perhaps not.  I don't scrutinize the moral behavior of entertainers.  As you said earlier in the thread, the sounds of silence would prevail if any of us did that.  The examples I gave in my OP were of another variety, but I did say politics, and I also said  insufferable ego-centricity -- which I understand is almost a necessity in making it in the rock world -- but some show it more than others and if anything, some make it part of the show (think Mick Jagger) and it's very entertaining, and does not detract.  When they take it off the stage, say and behave in ways that take that narcissism in other directions, it can detract from their stage persona.  Sometimes.  For some people.  As for the Dixie Chicks, I think that was a one-time shot, they're not in the habit of creating a stir or being in the public eye for political reasons.  It's not fair to compare them to Bono for that reason, as he has made it a way of life.  Additionally, it was a bigger deal for the DC's because the country music world is very patriotic and what they did was more daring, and more of a risk.  So yes, some of the general public did give them credit for that reason.  Of course, if you're like me, you don't read a lot of celebrity gossip (it doesn't interest me and I can't tolerate much of it -- again, I'm a space alien about much of it) but there are headlines that are at times inescapable, and you are made aware of something without having to go digging for it.  Maybe none of your musician faves have ever done anything that raised your hackles.  Not sure.  That wouldn't necessarily mean you'd abandon their music, but in the event it ever happens, it might make you lose respect or leave a bitter taste in your mouth as a fan, if you see what I mean. 
    Posted by yogafriend

Ok, sorry, my mistake. I guess like jessey I don't have any dealbreaker issues. I may disagree with a performer's politics or think they are egomaniacs, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their music. I always judge the art separately from the artist. For example, I can laugh at Charlie Sheen playing a comic character or enjoy a Mel Gibson movie even though they are both complete nut-cases.

P.S. I love twangy country music. Hank Williams, Sr. is one of my all-time favorite artists.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No:
    Hope this isn't too serious a topic for a Friday afternoon.  :)   But here goes: Do you have any non-musical dealbreakers with any musicians or bands?   This could be theoretical or in actual practice, if you have either abandoned a musician or were never interested (or refused to get interested) because of an issue you take to heart.  This is a follow-up to some comments in another thread where it appeared there may be issues that could cause you to turn away from a musician, regardless of how you feel about their music.  Examples would be politics, cultural beliefs, subject matter of the songs, insufferable ego-maniacal behavior, crime, is a downright poseur, or anything else that in essence, is not referenced by your musical preferences.   Something turned you off or away.  Can a reputation be marred to the point you're done and done? Or is it only rock 'n roll and you rarely, if ever, let anything of this nature stand in your way.  Is that one of the great aspects of rock music?  You can overlook something  / anything personal about a musician.   I mean, Chris Brown seems to have weathered the storm. Then again, there are a lot of people that don't think punching a woman in the face is a big deal (no one in this forum!!).  Is it incumbent upon fans to forget (if not forgive)?  This is extreme, I realize, but you get the idea.  Thoughts, anyone?  Only rock 'n roll?
    Posted by yogafriend

On second thought, I was partly right. You did include crime, which is a moral issue. But yeah, overall I missed the gist of what you were saying. My bad. Embarassed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here is an interesting link to a story on some things that Eric Clapton is quoted as saying. Do we blame this on the booze talking, or is this a Mel Gibson moment?

http://www.virginmedia.com/music/pictures/profiles/when-popstars-get-political.php?ssid=6

This is just one example of one music star spouting off. I would bet that there are other examples, some reported and some not. I think if we dig deep enough we will find plenty of evidence to turn us off on many performers.

Yet Bono catches flak for our perception that he thinks he is holier than us. I can certainly agree that can be annoying, but he does back up his words with deeds. He does not strike me as a hypocrite. For that, I cut him some slack.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

dd,
    Interesting link.  It hits home.  You're right, unless a comment was truly offensive, comments of a general nature have not and would not turn me away.

It seems like most of the comments here were about losing respect, rather than abandoning altogether. 

For Bono, I said in my post that I felt a little guilty criticizing him.   I'd feel it was me if I were the only one, but I know I'm not (far from it), so if he's not as sanctimonious as many of us think he is, then that's on him, as he certainly comes across that way.  Can so many people be using the wrong lens?  :)

And to illustrate how subjective the effect can be, Pearl Jam's political statements don't turn me off or bother me at all; they don't wear the attitude front and center (again, not to me). 

Never meant to imply you didn't get the gist of the issue I raised, either, not at all! And yes, crime is a moral issue, so "oops" on that!  If anything, your take was very interesting.   You're very tolerant and fair-minded.   All I wanted to leave you with was the thought that someday, somehow, someONE (musician) might raise your hackles.  You might find yourself upbraiding or admonishing that person.  If that happens, come back and let us know. 

PS I wouldn't touch this topic with regard to sports and athletes.  
    :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Oops, I just thought of one more: Ted Nugent I'm not really sure he counts though, because I'm pretty sure that he is severely mentally challenged.  But between the violent automatic-weapons fetish, the svengali hunter persona, and the right-wing extremist nutjob political views, I would have real trouble supporting anything he says or does.  He sure played a mean axe in his day, and "Stranglehold" is an all-time outstanding rock song, but he totally lost me somewhere between the late-70s, the atrocious Damm Yankees, and the Clinton years.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    I was turned off by Ted Nugent's right-wing fanaticism.  I recently read that he does have a redeeming quality.  He does anti-drug work through DARE.  One thing I have learned: a person's political views may possibly change as their values change.  This is an individual thing and sometimes it can take years.  Myself, I really don't like political parties but I am an Independent.  I would like to see everyone in Society come out with a fair shake.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]dd, Interesting link.  It hits home.  You're right, unless a comment was truly offensive, comments of a general nature have not and would not turn me away. It seems like most of the comments here were about losing respect, rather than abandoning altogether.  For Bono, I said in my post that I felt a little guilty criticizing him.   I'd feel it was me if I were the only one, but I know I'm not (far from it), so if he's not as sanctimonious as many of us think he is, then that's on him, as he certainly comes across that way.  Can so many people be using the wrong lens?  :) And to illustrate how subjective the effect can be, Pearl Jam's political statements don't turn me off or bother me at all; they don't wear the attitude front and center (again, not to me).  Never meant to imply you didn't get the gist of the issue I raised, either, not at all! And yes, crime is a moral issue, so "oops" on that!  If anything, your take was very interesting.   You're very tolerant and fair-minded.   All I wanted to leave you with was the thought that someday, somehow, someONE (musician) might raise your hackles.  You might find yourself upbraiding or admonishing that person.  If that happens, come back and let us know.  PS I wouldn't touch this topic with regard to sports and athletes.   :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE

I have to confess, I have come to be greatly annoyed by musical artists that I have at one time admired. But usually, it coincides with them making music that I don't like as much. It's an interesting topic though, and it makes me wonder if I should let the faults of musical artists be a dealbreaker. But honestly, I'm very amoral when it comes to choosing my entertainment. I would rather block out anything too bad about an artist than to give up listening to music I enjoy. Maybe this is a morally bankrupt position to take, I really don't know.

Also, I'm no fan of Bono but I have a tendency to come to the defense of even those that annoy me when I think they are being attacked a bit too much. By the same token, I don't understand why Ted Nugent is slammed for his political beliefs. I actually find him refreshing in the usually knee-jerk liberal world of rock and roll. I don't hunt, but I'm not opposed to hunting. I actually like Nugent just being who he is and his attitude that he doesn't care what you think of him. In a way, he's more rebellious than most other rock stars.  So you see, whether the are on on the left or the right I will defend anyone if I think they are being unfairly criticized.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : What you have here, Lloyd, is in the "best career move" category.  Make a political statement, cause a flap, get attention, and gain market share.   They didn't make the statement for commercial reasons, it was genuine, but it did attract attention, both negative and positive (as in your case). It also attracted negative attention, and they may have lost fans, but I would think they have been forgiven by now.  So yes, in your situation it's the reverse of a dealbreaker, but the incident itself for others, could easily have been a dealbreaker.  They're too twangy for me, and the majority of country music does not appeal to me.  But if you like the Chicks, there are other country singers that are not hard core country you might like such as Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Martina McBride, and of course, Emmy Lou Harris.  Mary Chapin Carpenter is still considered country, but she's more folk, and a very intelligent song-writer.  PS I love "Friday Night Lights" and will savor every episode, since this is the final season.   Moves me to the core; the show is unrivaled, matchless and incomparable in every way, and I'm sad it never caught fire. 

I don't know how their music would be defined, but like MCC along with Allison Krauss.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : What you have here, Lloyd, is in the "best career move" category.  Make a political statement, cause a flap, get attention, and gain market share.   They didn't make the statement for commercial reasons, it was genuine, but it did attract attention, both negative and positive (as in your case). It also attracted negative attention, and they may have lost fans, but I would think they have been forgiven by now.  So yes, in your situation it's the reverse of a dealbreaker, but the incident itself for others, could easily have been a dealbreaker.  They're too twangy for me, and the majority of country music does not appeal to me.  But if you like the Chicks, there are other country singers that are not hard core country you might like such as Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Martina McBride, and of course, Emmy Lou Harris.  Mary Chapin Carpenter is still considered country, but she's more folk, and a very intelligent song-writer.  PS I love "Friday Night Lights" and will savor every episode, since this is the final season.   Moves me to the core; the show is unrivaled, matchless and incomparable in every way, and I'm sad it never caught fire. 

Apropos of nothing, I have a duet of MCC and Shawn Colvin performing "Round Of Blues" live and have seen the latter on stage.  Both very thoughtful, intelligent singer/songwriters in the Joni Mitchell mold, IMO.  Colvin's cover of "Viva Las Vegas" is another great track.

Sections
Shortcuts