Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

Hope this isn't too serious a topic for a Friday afternoon.  :)  But here goes:

Do you have any non-musical dealbreakers with any musicians or bands?  

This could be theoretical or in actual practice, if you have either abandoned a musician or were never interested (or refused to get interested) because of an issue you take to heart. 

This is a follow-up to some comments in another thread where it appeared there may be issues that could cause you to turn away from a musician, regardless of how you feel about their music.  Examples would be politics, cultural beliefs, subject matter of the songs, insufferable ego-maniacal behavior, crime, is a downright poseur, or anything else that in essence, is not referenced by your musical preferences.   Something turned you off or away.  Can a reputation be marred to the point you're done and done?

Or is it only rock 'n roll and you rarely, if ever, let anything of this nature stand in your way.  Is that one of the great aspects of rock music?  You can overlook something  / anything personal about a musician.

I mean, Chris Brown seems to have weathered the storm. Then again, there are a lot of people that don't think punching a woman in the face is a big deal (no one in this forum!!).  Is it incumbent upon fans to forget (if not forgive)?  This is extreme, I realize, but you get the idea. 

Thoughts, anyone?  Only rock 'n roll?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

The less we know about those who provide us with entertainment, the better off we are. I don't really consider the personal failings of those who create the music I enjoy. I'm sure many of them would not hold up to close scrutiny. If I used my moral standards as a test of what musical artists I would listen to, it would probably result in the sounds of silence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well said! 

Notice that I did not include drugs or alcohol(ism) as potential dealbreakers.  Let alone divorce, or cheating.   Or groupies.  If all of that were off limits, you'd be listening to church hymns only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Probably not.  I don't think there is a bigger pr!ck in the Rock World than Steven Tyler, but I have to admit on the way home the other night 'Make it' came on and I cranked it way up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

For example, I think Axl Rose is a spoiled rotten child of a man.  I still like Guns N' Roses, but I tend to discount Rose's contribution to the music itself.  When I saw them live, he could barely stand, much less sing...one of the worst shows I've ever seen.  As a result, they have been taken down a peg from formerly "great" to just "good".

Bret Michaels is a complete and utter tool, but as said here, at least he seems to know it, but I never liked Poison anyway, and "ERHIT" might be THE most overwrought schmaltzy ballad ever written.

Jon Bon Jovi - same thing, but again I think his priorities are sound, even if his music is godawful.

The merchandising aspect of KISS has always rubbed me the wrong way - even if that's partly the point.  That said, they have an ample cadre of songs that are all-time classics and that I still dig.

Sting - one of the most pretentious artists I can think of; gets way too much credit for The Police - great band though they were, but his solo work started merely OK, then plateaued quickly into gross mediocrity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Cat Stevens is the biggest one for me.  He publicly advocated the murder of Salman Rushdie.  His music was dead to me at that point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Oops, I just thought of one more: Ted Nugent

I'm not really sure he counts though, because I'm pretty sure that he is severely mentally challenged.  But between the violent automatic-weapons fetish, the svengali hunter persona, and the right-wing extremist nutjob political views, I would have real trouble supporting anything he says or does.  He sure played a mean axe in his day, and "Stranglehold" is an all-time outstanding rock song, but he totally lost me somewhere between the late-70s, the atrocious Damm Yankees, and the Clinton years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

That Art Garfunkel was a real pric, the dude butchered the white Fro.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the decemberists...the sound of his voice and lyrical style are totally ripping off Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel.

now, i know that he was born with his voice, and he probably can't help it...but the fact that he acknowledges every other 90's indie band as an influence EXCEPT Neutral Milk Hotel just irks me.  I don't believe it, and I won't listen to them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No:
    [QUOTE]the decemberists...the sound of his voice and lyrical style are totally ripping off Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel. now, i know that he was born with his voice, and he probably can't help it...but the fact that he acknowledges every other 90's indie band as an influence EXCEPT Neutral Milk Hotel just irks me.  I don't believe it, and I won't listen to them.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I know what your saying and agree the similarities are uncanny, but...

Meloy has actually covered NMH live on a few occasions and has gone on record as saying he really likes them but that the comparisons were just getting to be too much.  To wit:

"I guess, I hate to say it, and it really bums me out, but the media has really destroyed my love for Neutral Milk Hotel [by comparing Meloy to Jeff Mangum], to the point where it’s hard for me to even talk about them. I should be able to just shrug it off, and I do, but it’s basically made it so I really can’t talk about Neutral Milk Hotel, when in fact I really love that record [In The Aeroplane, Over the Sea], and I certainly think it’s had an influence on what we do, and I think of them as a band that at their high point really played around with these grand, gestural things. And I think I’ve drawn from that for sure, but I think it’s the timbre of my voice that has really nailed us to the Neutral Milk Hotel cross."

For what it's worth, ph, I really like The Decemberists and respect your opinion, but even I don't think they've produced a record that matches "ITAOTS" yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's not the music at all, i just want to listen to NMH instead everytime i hear his voice.  they had such an impact on me, especially when i first started recording with a 4 track analog...

that's a really interesting quote, i had never read that. i feel a little bit better now. maybe i'll check it out...their music seems really ambitious.

i love aeroplane and also, on avery island is a great album. song about sex is an awesome line. his lyrics are so crazy.

"the first one saw a picture of a dead and hanging man, who was kissing foreign fishes that flew right out of his hand"

!? haha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

What's so wrong with being influenced by another performer? It's been happening from the beginning. Should we hate Mick Jagger for sounding like Don Covay? (Or do we hate him for other reasons?)Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

nothing is wrong with it...everyone is influenced by other artists.

i just have issues...i think a lot of it has to do with that one of my old bandmates trying to shove them down my throat nonstop. just one of those things. maybe i'll come around sometime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I never liked the Dixie Chicks, but I felt that they rose a level in my perception of them after their whole incident.... still don't care for their music though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bono makes the list for me.

I know I would have liked U2 a lot more if it were not for Bono's over-inflated ego standing in the way of the music.  I know he's done a lot of (social) good, and that's to his credit, but the way he incessantly sticks his face in every social cause gets tiresome.  It's also annoying watching other celebrities and politicians suck up to him. I feel slightly guilty criticizing him for being a social activist, but in keeping this criticism to the dealbreaker issue, I feel justified. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I never liked the Dixie Chicks, but I felt that they rose a level in my perception of them after their whole incident.... still don't care for their music though.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]Good point. 
    But I don't like their music very much either (although I did get a DC CD for a gift a while back, and I guess it's good to own one, just for the hell of it). 

Oh, hope you don't get upset with me for what I just said about Bono ... uh oh. 

Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ever see that south park where randy marsh tries to take the world's biggest piece of crap but he couldnt win because bono actually IS the world's biggest piece of crap?

..."yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]nothing is wrong with it...everyone is influenced by other artists. i just have issues...i think a lot of it has to do with that one of my old bandmates trying to shove them down my throat nonstop. just one of those things. maybe i'll come around sometime.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Understood.  I'm of the belief that we can seldom be forced into liking anything against our will; either you'll catch onto them naturally or you won't...NBD....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I never liked the Dixie Chicks, but I felt that they rose a level in my perception of them after their whole incident.... still don't care for their music though.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

It's weird ... before the incident, I never really listened to them. Dismissed them as country, which for the most part I don't like. But after Natalie's comments, I don't know if they went more away from country or what, but I listened to "Taking the Long Way" CD and loved it.

Which is kind of a reverse of the OP, I realize.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : It's weird ... before the incident, I never really listened to them. Dismissed them as country, which for the most part I don't like. But after Natalie's comments, I don't know if they went more away from country or what, but I listened to "Taking the Long Way" CD and loved it. Which is kind of a reverse of the OP, I realize.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

No you like some country music you just ignore it, for some reason.  So when they attacked Bush you said hey that is good I will listen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I think Madonna lost all credibility when started speaking with a British accent after she married Guy Ritchie.....it's like she became English by injection.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lost all credibility?  mmmmmm. 
    Regarding Madonna, I have to respectfully say that since her persona was based on being chameleon-like, a change in her accent (or anything else) was consistent with that persona.  If you didn't like it, fine, but part of the fascination and success with her career has been the way she has continued to reinvent herself, with her music and her physical presence, and as annoying as some find it, her belief system.  Yes, it's all consistent, she's a master of reinvention.  Considering how, as a pop queen, she has influenced and has been imitated by dozens upon dozens of pop singers, it seems a bit off to criticize her for "imitating" much of anything, even an accent.  Just my humble opinion.   I've always thought Sean Penn was / is the love of her life and she's never loved anyone since him anyhow, so if anything was fake, maybe it was her marriage to Ritchie, but I don't hold that against her, as that happens among the general populace all the time. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I always liked her and her change in persona, but to expect us to belief a change in accent? I just found it to be immature on her part and insulting to the public as consumers of her product.

(I also posted as kind of a joke.....)

"Holiday, Celebrate,Holiday, Celebrate. If we took a holiday,Took some time to celebrate."  (Dylan beware.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Understood. 
    Smile
    She gets a pretty bad rap around here, and I am the only one who ever comes to her rescue.  It's my job.   I'm not her biggest fan, but she has brought a lot of girl power and sheer joy and entertainment to many, and therefore, I do feel the need to defend her.   Not that she needs it; she's a lot tougher than I am!!  And as always, I don't "get" online sarcasm, so you have to take that into account.  Unless there is an emoticon, it's lost on me! <--- (and that's consistent!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

No problem.

I know what you mean....Written communication is tough. I reread my emails at work all the time before sending (did I use the appropriate word?, did I hit "reply all" by accident?)....

Smile

Sections
Shortcuts