Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No

I've never understood the criticism of Bono's "politics." He's a humanitarian, using his money and fame to draw global awareness to AIDS, Africa, poverty, and other issues. He worked with President Bush (43), who he said has done more to help Africa than any president before him.

If I were rich and famous, I'd like to think I'd do the same things with my money and fame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No:
    [QUOTE]I've never understood the criticism of Bono's "politics." He's a humanitarian, using his money and fame to draw global awareness to AIDS, Africa, poverty, and other issues. He worked with President Bush (43), who he said has done more to help Africa than any president before him. If I were rich and famous, I'd like to think I'd do the same things with my money and fame.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

i saw an ad with bono in it...it was for versace or something. if you buy a versace bag that is endorsed by bono, some of the money will help africa or some place.

gimme a break

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

If it’s a good song, it’s a good song.  Some artist might be real jerks but you would never know it while some scream egomaniac.  A few artist really annoy me but I notice I tend to be more annoyed with the ones I didn’t like to begin with, so maybe it’s a subconscious thing. 

It would seem stupid to really like an album and then suddenly not like it based on something you read about the person’s personality.  It’s not like you are ever going to meet the person and start hanging out with them. 

I feel that John Lennon comes across as someone who could be a real jerk.  It’s never stopped me from buying any of his stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : i saw an ad with bono in it...it was for versace or something. if you buy a versace bag that is endorsed by bono, some of the money will help africa or some place. gimme a break
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it is brilliant. He uses the shallowest aspect of our consumerist culture to help those who have very little. I admire this, much like I admired Paul Newman for selling his salad dressing to McDonald's to fund his charitable foundation. What better way to raise money for good causes than to take advantage of the marketplace and provide a product at the same time. Brilliant!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : Actually, I think it is brilliant. He uses the shallowest aspect of our consumerist culture to help those who have very little. I admire this, much like I admired Paul Newman for selling his salad dressing to McDonald's to fund his charitable foundation. What better way to raise money for good causes than to take advantage of the marketplace and provide a product at the same time. Brilliant!
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for bringing up Paul Newman.  His origins were Cleveland Hights, Ohio.
    Also, why shouldn't charitable help come from varied multiple sources?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What does Paul Newman have to do with music?  (note, however, that Paul Newman practically left the public eye when he was buillding his chartitable product line. Is that correct?) Not that the consumer didn't recognize him on his product labels, but he brought great humility along with his desire to donate to social causes.  Anyhow, a red herring in this conversation, IMHO. 

Let's not muddy the waters here.   "Other" entertainers are too broad a topic and a whole different animal (and forum)  Let's stick with musicians, please. 

Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, here's my post below, from earlier in this thread.  I did not criticize him for being a social activist, and I didn't criticize him for making good on his commitments.  I clearly stated it is his attitude. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bono makes the list for me.

I know I would have liked U2 a lot more if it were not for Bono's over-inflated ego standing in the way of the music.  I know he's done a lot of (social) good, and that's to his credit, but the way he incessantly sticks his face in every social cause gets tiresome.  It's also annoying watching other celebrities and politicians suck up to him. I feel slightly guilty criticizing him for being a social activist, but in keeping this criticism to the dealbreaker issue, I feel justified.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I used to like Billy Joel - his early stuff was interesting.  Then one day I heard him downplaying the significance of Woodstock and kind of dumping on it.  Completely turned me off.

Don Henley turns me off with his activism.  When he came to Boston regarding the brouhaha over Walden Pond, I got turned off.  I think I got turned off because he's an outsider weighing in on something that really isn't his business.

Sting has crossed the line in to overly self-important.  He seems to take himself way too seriously.  I don;t hate him, but his music seems to reflect his ego and it doesn't interest me in the least.

This isn't music related, but the one artist that gives me problems is Jon Voight.  I think he's a great actor and have a hard time reconciling the guy that starred in "Coming Home" with Jon Voight the rightwing advocate.  It's just odd that someone that has acted in movies that portray conservatives in such bad light is so conservative.  Maybe I need to learn to seperate the actor from the person.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

yogi, I only brought up Paul Newman as an example of a similar approach to Bono's for raising money for charity. phsmith was scoffing at what Bono did with Versace so I wanted to point out a similar thing. He was after all, coming down on Bono for doing that, which has nothing to do with our perception of his personality or ego. They both used their celebrity to help charitable causes. It's very hard to judge the humility of any internationally famous star. If you look up quotes from Bono, sometimes he sounds very humble. I fully understand the perception, but I still question how fair it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]I used to like Billy Joel - his early stuff was interesting.  Then one day I heard him downplaying the significance of Woodstock and kind of dumping on it.  Completely turned me off. [/QUOTE]

That’s just the kind of thing I don’t quite understand or get.  If I liked Bill Joel’s music, why should I care about what he said about a concert that happened when I was 2 years old?  I don’t know what he said, but he could have been somewhat right.  The concert probably has been blowing out of proportion over the years.  Had it not been for the movie and soundtrack we would hardly be talking about it.  Have you noticed over the years that the estimated crowd attendance seems to grow?  It’s as if people need to maintain that it was one of the biggest attended festivals even though it seems that some other shows were bigger such as the Isle of Wright Festival or the Watkins Glen 73 Festival.  What cracks me up about Woodstock is how you have all these hippies talking about how they are getting along fine by themselves and all the other anti-establishment crap but who comes in to save there a$$es, the National Guard.

You know what was a real turn off for me from an artist?  The last time I saw Neil Young at the Orpheum.  Before the show, an announcement was made that basically said, “Neil has worked real hard deciding this set list and we request that you refrain from yelling out any songs you might want to hear”.  I was like W TF?  If personalities were a deal breaker for me, that would have been it for me with Neil Young but it isn’t. 

Seriously, has anybody ever been to a show where you were told to refrain from yelling something out?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : That’s just the kind of thing I don’t quite understand or get.   If I liked Bill Joel’s music, why should I care about what he said about a concert that happened when I was 2 years old?   I don’t know what he said, but he could have been somewhat right.   The concert probably has been blowing out of proportion over the years.   Had it not been for the movie and soundtrack we would hardly be talking about it.   Have you noticed over the years that the estimated crowd attendance seems to grow?   It’s as if people need to maintain that it was one of the biggest attended festivals even though it seems that some other shows were bigger such as the Isle of Wright Festival or the Watkins Glen 73 Festival.   What cracks me up about Woodstock is how you have all these hippies talking about how they are getting along fine by themselves and all the other anti-establishment crap but who comes in to save there a$$es, the National Guard. You know what was a real turn off for me from an artist?   The last time I saw Neil Young at the Orpheum.   Before the show, an announcement was made that basically said, “Neil has worked real hard deciding this set list and we request that you refrain from yelling out any songs you might want to hear”.   I was like W TF?   If personalities were a deal breaker for me, that would have been it for me with Neil Young but it isn’t.   Seriously, has anybody ever been to a show where you were told to refrain from yelling something out?    
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]

James Taylor was a particularly prickly performer, as I recall (it was quite some time ago).  But I even have some live tracks where he talks down to the audience like some jerkwad teacher.  Again, he's made some fine music, but I'm not sure I would want to encounter him socially.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Miles Davis would walk off stage when someone yelled out a request.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non-Musical Dealbreakers: Yes or No : Apropos of nothing, I have a duet of MCC and Shawn Colvin performing "Round Of Blues" live and have seen the latter on stage.  Both very thoughtful, intelligent singer/songwriters in the Joni Mitchell mold, IMO.  Colvin's cover of "Viva Las Vegas" is another great track.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Actually, MCC  was one of my favorite artists in the 1990s, and I have maybe 10, give or take, of her albums.  I've seen her twice in concert, both times great.  A few of her original songs are among my favorite songs of all time, including "It Don't Bring You", but ironically, I was never drawn to most of her biggest hits.  I mentioned in a recent thread that I've had a revival of Colvin and have a renewed appreciation for her once again (she was another fave of mine in the late 1990's when I got into her).   I used to dig into the bargain bins looking for their older CDs.  MCC's "State of the Heart" is astonishing in its depth; I just about wore it out.  :D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]yogi, I only brought up Paul Newman as an example of a similar approach to Bono's for raising money for charity. phsmith was scoffing at what Bono did with Versace so I wanted to point out a similar thing. He was after all, coming down on Bono for doing that, which has nothing to do with our perception of his personality or ego. They both used their celebrity to help charitable causes. It's very hard to judge the humility of any internationally famous star. If you look up quotes from Bono, sometimes he sounds very humble. I fully understand the perception, but I still question how fair it is.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]Understood and quite honesty, it may not be fair.  But in this thread alone, there are several people who have the same perception, including p-mike, and frankly, I'd be hard pressed to debate a point with him.    ha ha. 

On the flip side, my favorite singer, Sarah McLachlan, is a spokesperson for the ASPCA, and it doesn't bother me at all, if anything, I think it's very generous and inspirational of her.   Rock musicians who are in PETA don't bother me, either, as another example.  The list goes on.

So I'd like to think that we can agree to disagree on the issue of Bono, and I respect your tenacity in defending him.  He's not what I consider an "underdog" in any sense, but if you are that fair-minded on his behalf, he's lucky to have your support.  You lend his cause some class.  Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

well i mean, a very small percentage of the population can afford a versace bag...wouldnt you want to reach out to like...target or something?  although you do end up spending a lot more money on versace. it just struck me as a "cmon" moment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I hate that ASPCA commercial. Bloody depresses me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I hate that ASPCA commercial. Bloody depresses me.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]That's the point.  Most appeals of that nature are supposed to tug at your heartstrings.  Celebrities who represent some of these organizations help get donations.  What's wrong with that? 

Look, I turn away from any news that has to do with child abuse or domestic violence because it can (literally) turn my stomach.  It's not that I don't want to know it exists, it's just too upsetting.   But it's out there, disturbing as it is. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Greg,
    You're crossing the line with me here regarding Sarah M.  Don't shoot the messenger, you know?

I suppose it's preferable to lure a consumer in to purchase a Versace handbag in the name of "charity" -- ? 

I opened the can of worms here.  Alas, if I can dish it out, I have to take it. 
    Embarassed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]I suppose it's preferable to lure a consumer in to purchase a Versace handbag in the name of "charity" -- ?  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

boom, my point exactly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It's one thing to ask for donations to a charity you believe in and support.  It's one thing to make things in a way that is important to you (in a healthy way) and have all proceeds go to charity.  Teaming with Versace to plug overpriced handbags to people with too much money is something else.

Saving puppies - OK.
    Providing healthy food with profit going to Charity - OK.
    Benefit concerts - OK.
    Hawking designer handbags with a portion of the proceeds going to charity - less OK.

The Versace handbags crosses a line, I think, because a) it's more about Bono, b) he's not actually doing anything.  It's more along the lines of exploiting the charity for his own fame and ego.

Great - use fame to bring attention to causes that are important to the celebrity.  But don't do something for charity and benefit from it more than charity.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think in most cases what we're hearing about here are 'turnoffs' as opposed to 'dealbreakers'.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I agree with yoga.  I really don't understand dissin' a person (whether it be Bono or Sarah M) for giving their time and/or money for a cause they believe in.  I think it's commendable when these people use their power and influence for good.
    How about someone like Charlie Sheen.  He was asked why he spent money on prostitutes and his answer was "because he ran out of things to buy". (sorry yoga, I know he's not a musician, but this quote really irked me).  I have nothing against him, he can do what he wants with his money, but I can't understand getting pissed at people who choose to try to do some good with theirs. 

btw, her commercials work for me, all my cats were adopted from the MSPCA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]  btw, her commercials work for me, all my cats were adopted from the MSPCA.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

just out of curiosity, how many cats do you have?

those commercials make me so sad.  but really, when does a kitty's face NOT look sad? it's not like they smile...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I think in most cases what we're hearing about here are 'turnoffs' as opposed to 'dealbreakers'.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Yay, and thank you, Hfx. 

I didn't have any idea this thread would become such a runaway train, but it has!

I think some of our comments went in the opposite direction to make a point, and backfired on us.

I can't allow anyone to insult Sarah McLachlan in MY thread, however.  They have to take that outside.  That's just the way it has to be. 
    Smile