None-offs: "Big names" not in your collection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

None-offs: "Big names" not in your collection

Jumping off from Yoga's one-offs I think it would be interesting to list a few "big name" artists not represented in your collection with studio albums, live albums, or collections. If you have a various artists collection with this artist on it still count it as having nothing by them. I put big name in quotes because it is a bit subjective who we all consider big names. I'm trying to go with both popular and critically acclaimed (or both) artists.

Wonder if anyone has no *gasp* Beatles, for example.

Here are a few of mine:

Joni Mitchell

Elton John

Journey

Black Sabbath

Queen

Metallica

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Re: None-offs:

Tom Waits

Prince

Brian Eno

Pearl Jam

Run DMC

Neil Young

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Leonard Cohen

Queen

Talk Talk

Pavement

Smashing Pumpkins

Deep Purple

Bruce Springsteen

a lot...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Artists that I like a lot but own no music by:

Pearl Jam

Metallica

Alice in Chains

Offspring

Sloan

(That's 3 for 3 on Pearl Jam...odd.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I'd sooner put a Dylon album in my collection before anything by Pearl Jam......uuhhhhgggggg!

There's a reason Pearl Jam is 3 for 3 here...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Big name" is a confusing term.

If you don't own anything by them, chances are you don't think they are that big.

But, here goes:

Michael Jackson

Madonna

Cheap Trick

Huey Lewis And The News

The Village People

KC And The Sunshine Band

Frank Sinatra

Donna Summer

Cindy Lauper

Sonny And Cher

Those are all considered "big" by someone who is not me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

"Big name" is a confusing term.

If you don't own anything by them, chances are you don't think they are that big.

But, here goes:

Michael Jackson

Madonna

Cheap Trick

Huey Lewis And The News

The Village People

KC And The Sunshine Band

Frank Sinatra

Donna Summer

Cindy Lauper

Sonny And Cher

Those are all considered "big" by someone who is not me.

Yes, as I said, big name is subjective. But many of your selections are big names in that they are well known or have great popularity. Popularity is pretty easy to define. Critical acclaim is a bit more tricky.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Greatful Dead

Eric Clapton

Genesis/Phil Collins

Ke$ha

The Police

Kiss

Simon and Garfunkel

Rod Steward

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Greatful Dead

Eric Clapton

Genesis/Phil Collins

Ke$ha

The Police

Kiss

Simon and Garfunkel

Rod Steward

I can understand not having any Rod Steward , or even his more popular namesake Rod "Stewart" , but where I come from not having anything by Clapton is considered a shame and a sin.....Smile. Have a great weekend Tcal, we don't hear from you often enough , and that's a shame also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One I forgot:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Eagles

Goo Goo Dolls

Matchbox 20

Nickelback

Limp Bizkit

Staind

Daughtry

Vampire Weekend

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Everyone's posts reminded me of more.

Grateful Dead

Stone Temple Pilots

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Genesis

Alice In Chains

King Crimson

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Phish

Radiohead

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The first few that come to mind:

REM
    Coldplay
    Springsteen
    Lucinda Williams
    Van Halen
    Arcade Fire

(I could easily go on ...)

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

I actually only have the Beatles blue and red greatest hits CDs, but not albums.   I don't know what it is, but once I discovered the Stones, I never looked back.  I honestly get bored listening back to the Beatles stuff. Once in a very blue moon.

Interesting. I figured there could be somebody with no Beatles, but even you didn't quite qualify. My first Beatles albums were the red and blue on vinyl, and I liked them so much I had to get everything I could by the Beatles. I am the polar opposite of you. I only have two hits collections by the Stones and never bought any of their albums. Pretty much had the same reaction toward the Stones as you had toward the Beatles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I hated the 1997-2004ish period of that one hit wonder crap period of pop rock music that was so forced and so awful like Creed, Matchbox Twenty, the Goo Goo Dolls and all those spawn bands.  My god was it bad. Hanson..Remember them? I'd be angrier except they were kids and didn't know any better. lol

Nickelback. Ugh. How awful. That's a 2000s version of Creed.  

It was either that kind of sound that Matchbox Tewnty style bands had, which I blame annoying Hootie for or that rap/thrash crap like Limp Bizkit which I blame Green Day and the Offspring for. Ugh. Brutal. Absolutely brutal. One of the worst periods in music history, which is ironic because of how great the rest of the 1990s was.  I think record companies got ticked off there weren't enough singles from pop bands an they started making changes. Just my opinion why it went from the decade of some great new music to utter garbage almost overnight.

I agree with the bands you mentioned (how could I forget Creed?!)...but I disagree with that era of music being so devoid of talent.

Some of the bands that survived grunge/post-grunge with their integrity intact made a lot of incredible music during that time.  I think it's where indie rock really split from the mainstream and formed branches which still exist today.

Some of my favorite bands like Wilco, Built To Spill, Gomez and Guster came of age in the late-90s.  And the early-00s featured great acts like the Strokes, White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

This can get quite lenghty:

No Stones, Zepelin, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Madonna, CSN, Prince, Elton John, Pearl Jam, Clapton, any of the real mainstream pop icons

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

The first few that come to mind:

REM
    Coldplay
    Springsteen
    Lucinda Williams
    Van Halen
    Arcade Fire

(I could easily go on ...)

Van Halen makes sense. YOu're a chick.   Then again, Coldplay does not make sense. That's a major chick band.

AGree on Springsteen. Never got it and never will.  His poseur style is annoying too.

I don't know any other way to say this, but I'm not your average bear.   :) 

Additionally, what makes sense is also very subjective, isn't it?   Per the other thread, yes, I am now a big fan of the Scorpions. 

I created a thread on them (at this rate ...) a couple / three years ago, and the posters here lavished so much praise on them I just had to check them out.   They also sent recommendations, so I now own a couple of compilations (still looking for Lovedrive ...).   Anyhow, you never know unless you check out the music for yourself, and find that you can surprise yourself.   I have nothing against Springsteen, but as it pertains to this thread, he was the first big name that came to mind that I don't own.  

As for Coldplay, no, I have never been a fan.  A few of their hits are very good, but a little goes a long way for me.  A close friend of mine saw them in concert and she said seeing them live was pretty amazing, so they may perform well live.  I am, however, a huge fan of the band Keane, with whom they are somewhat likened and compared.   Keane can kick Coldplay's a**, IMO.   Song writing is superior, and the vocalist makes Chris Martin sound like a fog horn.  :)   To each their own.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I hated the 1997-2004ish period of that one hit wonder crap period of pop rock music that was so forced and so awful like Creed, Matchbox Twenty, the Goo Goo Dolls and all those spawn bands.  My god was it bad. Hanson..Remember them? I'd be angrier except they were kids and didn't know any better. lol

Nickelback. Ugh. How awful. That's a 2000s version of Creed.  

It was either that kind of sound that Matchbox Tewnty style bands had, which I blame annoying Hootie for or that rap/thrash crap like Limp Bizkit which I blame Green Day and the Offspring for. Ugh. Brutal. Absolutely brutal. One of the worst periods in music history, which is ironic because of how great the rest of the 1990s was.  I think record companies got ticked off there weren't enough singles from pop bands an they started making changes. Just my opinion why it went from the decade of some great new music to utter garbage almost overnight.

I agree with the bands you mentioned (how could I forget Creed?!)...but I disagree with that era of music being so devoid of talent.

Some of the bands that survived grunge/post-grunge with their integrity intact made a lot of incredible music during that time.  I think it's where indie rock really split from the mainstream and formed branches which still exist today.

Some of my favorite bands like Wilco, Built To Spill, Gomez and Guster came of age in the late-90s.  And the early-00s featured great acts like the Strokes, White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.

Right, but compare the ratio. That is my point there.  For every Wilco or Gomez, there is a dozen Creed types.

I agree 100%.

It's almost like every band that hits it big spawns another 10 or 20 'pretenders' that get signed only because they sound similar to the real thing, while the really original or offbeat bands get ignored.

These 'connections' between bands - bad or not - are fascinating to me.  Can we really say we would have heard of Creed if Pearl Jam never made it big?

Can we deny that 25 years from now, people will be having this same debate over Nickelback and Staind?

(This is starting to merge with my 'cheese' theme elsewhere...)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Additionally, what makes sense is also very subjective, isn't it?   Per the other thread, yes, I am now a big fan of the Scorpions. 

I created a thread on them (at this rate ...) a couple / three years ago, and the posters here lavished so much praise on them I just had to check them out.   They also sent recommendations, so I now own a couple of compilations (still looking for Lovedrive ...).     

Lovedrive CD is on Amazon.com for 6.93.  They also have the MP3 download for sale there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I have to say I agree with DeadAhead's take on the Beatles and Stones. My first album I bought was the Beatles Revolver album (because the album was on sale and I heard about the Beatles before), but that was the end of my Beatles listening.

The Beatles, a lot of their songs I find best served for sing-alongs around a campfire or are of the Sesame Street variety (see Yellow Submarine). To me:

• The Beatles = Milk
    • The Stones = Alcoholic Beverage

And of the 2 above beverages I know which one I like best. The Stones, they are my go-to-band and everything about them I identify with. They are the only band I listened going to college and their albums are the only ones I can get totally addicted to ... as in listening to nothing but Stones albums 3-4 hours a day, everyday of the week and months at a time (the state I'm currently in).

Sections
Shortcuts