Now if this isn't a coincidence: Kurt Cobain's childhood home to become a museum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Now if this isn't a coincidence: Kurt Cobain's childhood home to become a museum

This just in (and related to museums, and preservation of a rock artist and their legacy, as in the "Hall" thread.

I don't like saying "I told you so" (well, maybe a little)  but this is an example of the type of situation / people who *do* want a place to go and honor their favorite artists:

Fundraising Campaign Launched to Turn Kurt Cobain's Childhood Home Into Museum
    "Making sure this house is memorialized by us fans so it doesn't end up in the clutches of capitalist greed."    By Jenn Pelly on March 19, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

The past year has been full of Nirvana tributes in Kurt Cobain's home state of Washington, in honor of the 20th anniversary of his death, as well as anticipation of the band's upcoming induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Last fall, news broke that Cobain's childhood home in Aberdeen, Wash., was on the market. Cobain's mother Wendy O'Connor and sister Kim Cobain put the home up for sale for $500,000, in hopes of connecting with someone who will turn it into a museum.

Now, one woman, 33-year-old journalist and Portland resident Jaime Dunkle, has launched a campaign to raise money for the museum, as the Broward-Palm Beach New Times reports. Her GoFundMe page was created March 2. Below, watch a video clip she shot inside of Cobain's bedroom.

A Nirvana fan since childhood, Dunkle is hoping to raise $700,000 for the museum—"making sure this house is memorialized by us fans so it doesn't end up in the clutches of capitalist greed."

As of this posting, the campaign has raised $35.

Okay, she has her work cut out for her ... (!!)

RE: The house:

"Being inside was a total head spin. I had to meet with city officials and the realtor first, and by the time we finished hashing out some logistics for making it a museum, I only had 15 minutes to take pictures and make a video. As I wandered around, looking in closets, I imagined him as a teen, crouched inside, scribbling in his diaries or making sketches. The walk up the stairs into his bedroom made the hairs on my neck stand up. All I could think was that I was seeing through his eyes and walking in his footsteps, literally."

Dumb or inspired idea?   Too soon to tell?  The truth: this is a definite maybe. 

http://pitchfork.com/news/54416-fundraising-campaign-launched-to-turn-kurt-cobains-childhood-home-into-museum/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Now if this isn't a coincidence: Kurt Cobain's childhood home to become a museum

Meh.

Looks like demand might be a problem....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Now if this isn't a coincidence: Kurt Cobain's childhood home to become a museum

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Meh.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't strike me as the next Graceland.   :D

It's early in the game, but a reality check is in order.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Modest museums are possible. The Susan B. Anthony birthplace is a very modest museum. But all museums need funding of some sort. And that funding has to be fairly steady and reliable and sufficient for the upkeep of the museum. It takes more than passion and interest to run a museum. You need people with practical skills to run and maintain it. So as emotional as a fan of Curt Cobain might be, emotion will not take you very far without funding and a good organization staffed by reliable people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Meh.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't strike me as the next Graceland.   :D

It's early in the game, but a reality check is in order.    

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just me, but this kind of fetishism strikes me as a little creepy and strange...and by that I mean eulogizing the material aspects of a person's legacy instead of the products of their life's work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Modest museums are possible. The Susan B. Anthony birthplace is a very modest museum. But all museums need funding of some sort. And that funding has to be fairly steady and reliable and sufficient for the upkeep of the museum. It takes more than passion and interest to run a museum. You need people with practical skills to run and maintain it. So as emotional as a fan of Curt Cobain might be, emotion will not take you very far without funding and a good organization staffed by reliable people.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't appear (at least from the information provided) that the woman who wants to make a museum at the site of Cobain's early life, has thought it through.   She wants to connect with someone who will help her turn it into a museum, but unless that person comes with $$$, that's not going to happen.    

This has more to do with her desire to preserve where he grew up, than being realistic.    Many historic sites are open seasonally, limited hours, and have other restrictions, but it's not a money-making proposition.  Still, I wish her luck.