Now the good news (for me anyway) - the classic 60's/70's rock music is back! (I think)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Now the good news (for me anyway) - the classic 60's/70's rock music is back! (I think)

I think it's fair to say there have been quite a few comments on the forum about the sorry state of today's rock music and how classic rock devotees like myself can't find much new music that compares to the stuff we love from the era of the late 60's to the mid 70's.

For people like myself, that era was the golden age because it featured the high points of the British Invasion, psychedelic rock, hard rock, blues-rock, prog rock, country-rock and folk-rock.

I think it's possible that the music of that era may be making a real comeback.

Among my recent CD purhases are these albums, all released in the last few years:

Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Black Keys - El Camino

All of these are really, really good, maybe even great albums.  The styles of music range through hard-rock, blues-rock, country-rock, and folk-rock.  There is extremely high quality in the writing and in the musicianship.  There is genuine creativity and passion. 

Listening a group of albums like this all at once made the blood rush to my head and fostered the thought that maybe one of those cycles in music history is coming around-the one I've really been waiting for!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Now the good news (for me anyway) - the classic 60's/70's rock music is back! (I think)

This (possible) comeback of classic rock may have actually started a while ago.

In 2001, Blue Oyster Cult released an album called The Curse of the Hidden Mirror.  I read some quotes from the band about the album and they said that when they had completed it they realized that it was an album that would have fit in very well with their work from the early-mid 70's (when they were awesome).  And I think this is a fair statement.

In 2006 the Who released their first album in eons the only album with just Pete and Roger, called Endless Wire.  It's not an entirely satisfying album but it is interesting, and of particular note is the 10-track mini-opera 'Wire & Glass.'

The return of the concept album!

Here in my hometown of Halifax-Dartmouth artists like Joel Plaskett and Matt Mays have done concept albums.  Staying in Canada, Sam Roberts did a concept album called Chemical City.  Roberts has a very 60's-70's type sound.

The Steve Earle album I mentioned above is a concept album that goes one step further - it's the soundtrack for a novel of the same name written by the multi-talented Earle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Now the good news (for me anyway) - the classic 60's/70's rock music is back! (I think)

In the hard rock category, we have Slash's self-titled 2010 album, which featued guest singers like Ozzy, Lemmy, Iggy, Ian Astbury from The Cult and Chris Cornell.  The best stuff on this album is 70's hard rock to the core, with stick-in-your-noggin riffs and smokin' solos up the middle.

I haven't heard much of the followup, Apocalyptic Love, which Myles Kennedy on vocals, but what I've heard sounds good.  Fellow poster WDYWN is our resident Slash expert.

I'm not implying that Slash is just playing the 'same old stuff' either.  He's playing that kind of music, yes, but there's a reasonable effort to be original.  And his musicianship is not in question.  The man can play.  That is one of the prime requirements of the music I'm talking about - it's written and played by serious musicians.

Others in this category, just the ones I know of, would be Soundgarden-who have a newly minted album-Wolfmother, and Rival Sons.  I put a clip of the Rival Sons' Zeppelinesque song Pressure and Time on Tcal's thread. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

This (possible) comeback of classic rock may have actually started a while ago.

In 2001, Blue Oyster Cult released an album called The Curse of the Hidden Mirror.  I read some quotes from the band about the album and they said that when they had completed it they realized that it was an album that would have fit in very well with their work from the early-mid 70's (when they were awesome).  And I think this is a fair statement.

In 2006 the Who released their first album in eons the only album with just Pete and Roger, called Endless Wire.  It's not an entirely satisfying album but it is interesting, and of particular note is the 10-track mini-opera 'Wire & Glass.'

The return of the concept album!

Here in my hometown of Halifax-Dartmouth artists like Joel Plaskett and Matt Mays have done concept albums.  Staying in Canada, Sam Roberts did a concept album called Chemical City.  Roberts has a very 60's-70's type sound.

The Steve Earle album I mentioned above is a concept album that goes one step further - it's the soundtrack for a novel of the same name written by the multi-talented Earle.

Now I finally get what the Hfx means.

I mean seriously, I knew you were a Sox fan...and a nut....but never gave the Hfx much thought.

I almost would have thought it was your initials, as in Henry Frank Xavier....glad I know the Hfx stands for Halifax, 'cause Henry Frank Xavier is a godawful moniker....my apologies to anyone who really has that name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think it's fair to say there have been quite a few comments on the forum about the sorry state of today's rock music and how classic rock devotees like myself can't find much new music that compares to the stuff we love from the era of the late 60's to the mid 70's.

For people like myself, that era was the golden age because it featured the high points of the British Invasion, psychedelic rock, hard rock, blues-rock, prog rock, country-rock and folk-rock.

I think it's possible that the music of that era may be making a real comeback.

Among my recent CD purhases are these albums, all released in the last few years:

Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Black Keys - El Camino

All of these are really, really good, maybe even great albums.  The styles of music range through hard-rock, blues-rock, country-rock, and folk-rock.  There is extremely high quality in the writing and in the musicianship.  There is genuine creativity and passion. 

Listening a group of albums like this all at once made the blood rush to my head and fostered the thought that maybe one of those cycles in music history is coming around-the one I've really been waiting for!   

Thanks for including The Black Keys - El Camino - GREAT Album! - (IMHO) I feel vindicated that others agree!

7. This post has been removed.