Obama hosting show presenting Carole King with Gershwin Award

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Obama hosting show presenting Carole King with Gershwin Award

Singer/Songwriter Carole King is getting a well deserved Gershwin award for her contributions to the music industry.She has written or co-written such hits as 

The Loco-Motion - Little Eva

Pleasent Valley Sunday -Monkees

Chains - Beatles

You make me feel like a natural woman - Aretha Franklin

I'm into something good - Herman Hermits

You've got a friend - James Taylor

She also had the Grammy for the #1 album of 1971 with "Tapestry".It also held the #1 spot on the Billboard top 10 for 15 straight weeks.It's,IMHO,is probably the greatest album ever by a female artist.It had such hits as" It's too late","So far away" "Smackwater Jack", and my personal favorite "I feel the Earth move".There isn't a bad song on it.If you've never heard it,I strongly suggest you give it a listen.

I feel the Earth move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHuxpa4h48

From yahoo.com:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is putting on a show at the White House next week for singer-songwriter Carole King.

She's the first woman to receive the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress.

The White House says Obama will present the award to King during a concert Wednesday. The program will include performances by King, Gloria Estefan, Billy Joel, Jesse McCartney, Emeli Sande, James Taylor and Trisha Yearwood.

King's hits during five decades of songwriting include "You've Got a Friend," ''So Far Away" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman."

Wednesday's concert will be the latest in the "In Performance at the White House" series. It will be streamed live on www.whitehouse.gov , and broadcast nationally by PBS stations on May 28.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Obama hosting show presenting Carole King with Gershwin Award

Still  love  Carole King.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's been a good year for Carole King.   She also got an honorary doctorate from Berklee last week, along with her royal hotness, Annie Lennox.   A friend of mine posted Lennox's speech on her FB page, so I watched it; she sang a few bars of one of Carole King's songs in her speech, and King looked really pleased.   

She also had her memoir published just a few months ago; "A Natural Woman" met with glowing reviews from what I recall.    A humble person in the music industry is a breath of fresh air.   I don't know anything about the Gershwin Award, but you don't need to know nothin' to know it's an honor.   :)

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Is Annie Lennox doing the stay at home mom things these days? Great voice.  I always thought it was a cool story that when some arsonist tried to burn down Petty's house in 1987, she went out and bought the entire family new clothes right away.

I don't think she ever stayed home for long, even when her kids were young; they're all grown up now.  She's a social activist these days as well as a singer / musician, still performing; she has a list of accomplishments and awards a mile long to her name.   Wait, make that two miles long.  :)

She's the real deal.   Her social activism and charity work are not for show.   Nice story that she helped Tom Petty's family in their time of need.   Just hearing that is a testament to who she is.   

BTW, my Dad had a cousin, who was married to a stunning woman whose doppelganger was as close to Annie Lennox as anyone can get.   Looks were remarkably similar -- she was a model when she was younger, at the time she met my Dad's cousin.  She's had the same shorn hairstyle as Lennox her whole life, too.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Carole King lead a rockin' rendition of "Like A Rolling Stone" on a David Letterman show many years ago.  I think she was credited for the orchestration.  Here is the only vid I could find -- poor quality, doesn't do it justice.  Anyone know of a high quality version out there? 

04 Like A Rolling Stone - YouTube