OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best

You shelled out a whole bunch of money for tickets, parking and a tee shirt (you have to get one of those $25 shirts, which deteriorate after three washings).  So tell me which one would you rate was your best experience and why it was.  try to tell where and when, I would be curious to see if someone else here was at the same show.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best

Well, there weren't a lot of bells and whistles, just Billy Joel and his great presence and songs I adore.  Lots of them - it was a long concert.  I had just gone through a divorce and was enjoying being where I wanted to be, doing what I wanted to do, with no time to be expected anywhere, all by myself listening to my favorite musician.  I felt like he was singing just to me.  Not too loud, either.  I had a glass of wine and the general age of the crowd...well, I was among the young ones being in my 30s.  It was perfect.  Didn't buy anything, though.

2006, Hartford Civic Center - I think it was March 23 or 28 (I'm reviewing the concert schedule now).  I went to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner first, too, but I don't remember the name. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bruce Springsteen, Toronto, July 1984.  We drove all the way from Halifax to see him.  Our expectations were huge, and he absolutely met them.  The show was insanely long.  I clocked it at 3:45, not counting the intermission.  The performance was tremendous.  I think he was at the very top of his game then, just starting a tour that would last more than a year.  And the crowd was also fantastic.

Runner-up would be Paul McCartney in Halifax, July 2009. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm going to go with Nick Lowe at the Paradise in Boston ca. 1992.   I didn't really know that much about Lowe other than some of his hits and his connection with Elvis Costello, but once again, was invited by my cool boyfriend.   It was this all encompassing fun that filled the venue, the energy, the intimacy, Lowe's unbelievable charm and wit, his performance, the way the entire house was rocked in such a fun way that made it a total experience I have never forgotten.  I think it was the total surprise factor that blew me away; I was not expecting anything like it.  It seems crazy to me, but it was just that awesome. 

Other small venue surprises were Alison Krauss and the time I got to see Prince ...

As far as stage/musical performances go, nothing has ever, or will ever come close to seeing "Porgy and Bess" performed as an operetta (as it was intended, not as a musical) by members of the NY Metropolitan Opera.  I felt like I was alone in the theatre, I had to look at the friend I went with to touch back down to earth.  I thought I was sitting on air, I didn't even feel the seat I was sitting on by the end; an out of body experience, quite seriously.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Where was the small venue that you saw prince?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best:
    [QUOTE]Well, there weren't a lot of bells and whistles, just Billy Joel and his great presence and songs I adore.  Lots of them - it was a long concert.  I had just gone through a divorce and was enjoying being where I wanted to be, doing what I wanted to do, with no time to be expected anywhere, all by myself listening to my favorite musician.  I felt like he was singing just to me.  Not too loud, either.  I had a glass of wine and the general age of the crowd...well, I was among the young ones being in my 30s.  It was perfect.  Didn't buy anything, though. 2006, Hartford Civic Center - I think it was March 23 or 28 (I'm reviewing the concert schedule now).  I went to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner first, too, but I don't remember the name. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

...a la scenes from an italian restaurant? talk about die-hard ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

1.  radiohead @ the pavillion...maybe '07? i think...

the beatles are what i grew up on, but radiohead is the first band that made me expand my musical horizons...and gave me the drive to dive headlong into playing/writing music. i have seen radiohead 5 times, but this time i splurged and got seats 10 rows back right in front of jonny greenwood. i took my (at the time) girlfriend, and they played everything, from the hits to the b-sides. it really took my breath away.

noteworthy moment- (at a different radiohead concert, it was their first stop on the tour at the comcast center and they played creep for the first time in many years)

2.  muse - some gymnasium at providence college

it was the first stop on the mtvU campus invasion tour, the gym had maybe 100 people in it, and i got to witness first hand exactly why muse wins so many best live act awards.  they are a three piece, put out a ridiculous amount of sound and are phenomenally tight. matt bellamy designed his own guitars with specific fx systems built into it, one notable one with a touch pad (kaos pad). highly recommend, check out some youtube videos for confirmation.

3. primus @ the orpheum theatre in maybe 07?

claypool. enough said. (they played most of frizzle fry, i was in a trance)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Summer Jam 88

Aerosmith
    BOC
    GNR

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There were a few that really stood out for me:

In my eyes, the best I ever saw was Mott The Hoople at the Uris Theatre on Broadway in 1974.Queen was the opening band.

Others that come to mind:

Queen at MSG with Thin Lizzy as the opening band
    Cheap Trick at the Palladium during the Budokhan tour
    ELP with orchestra - MSG
    Elton John's One Man Show at the Palladium
    Led Zeppelin at MSG
    The Clash at Bonds
    AC/DC at CBGB's
    Ramones in Central Park
    The Cure - at the Pier
    U2 at the Left Bank (First American Tour)
    Alice Cooper; Johnny Winter Band; James Gang; Leslie West Band at Roosevelt Stadium
    Chicago and the Beach Boys at MSG
    Plasmatics at the Left Bank
    Jethro Tull and Robin Trower at Shea Stadium

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE] ...a la scenes from an italian restaurant? talk about die-hard ;)
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I guess so! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchmybalk. Show watchmybalk's posts

I've seen hundreds of shows so to say the "best show" is impossible. A couple that stand out would be Springsteen-Born to Run tour in Portland ME(or was it Lewiston?).I had 13th row center.It might have cost $20.Another great one was Queen/Thin Lizzy at Boston Garden on the Night of the Opera tour.Most of us remember how lousy the sound could be at the Garden but Queen's sound man had it clear and powerful(just like the records).Also, Mott the Hoople(with Mick Ralphs) at the Orpheum with Aerosmith opening.Probably,the last time they opened for anyone in Boston...only the first LP was out so it was a killer show!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Mine would be The Pogues at the Avalon (or Metro or Venus De Milo: can't remember it's name at the time).  It was just after the "If I Should Fall From The Grace Of God" album came out.  They had Joe Strummer playing with them for the whole show.   The place was full of drunken illegal Irishmen (It's politically correct for me to say that: I'm 1/2 Irish and was very drunk).  Had to fight, literally, my way to the front row and to stay there while the entire audience was just going berserk.   Shane MacGowan Brought a bottle of Jamison's on stage with him and  got snot flinging drunk(he's one of those rare people who tend to get better the more drunk they get), while a waitress was bring me Stolis and limes (to this day I'm amazed that first there was a waitress bringing drinks at a concert, and second that she managed to get through the crowd).  I befriended her and tried to go gulp for gulp with MacGowan standing directly opposite his place at the microphone.  Joe Strummer took center stage and sang about a 1/2 dozen Clash songs....  The concert ended, myself and the 2 friends I was with were still cranked  from the show and so we went to the Rat and saw Tribe (whom I had not heard of yet) and hung out with the band after their show.  I very Rock and Roll night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Lots of good choices but these stand out.

U-2 1989 at the old Boston Garden, they couldn't get the house lights to turn off and Bono said to the crowd "f*&$ it, where just going to play". About half way through they got the lights to turn off.

The other was McCartney 1990, when he still had his voice.

Van Halen 1984, Roth was still fronting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would have mentioned a U2 concert, too, for the sheer awesomeness of that band and the energy they have on stage (and the secret crush I have on The Edge).  BUT, it was way too loud, and that completely ruined it for me.  It was the Elevation tour with the cool heart-shaped stage, but I can't remember what the date was for the life of me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of good choices but these stand out. U-2 1989 at the old Boston Garden, they couldn't get the house lights to turn off and Bono said to the crowd "f*&$ it, where just going to play". About half way through they got the lights to turn off. The other was McCartney 1990, when he still had his voice. Van Halen 1984, Roth was still fronting.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

I was at that U2 show. They played 3 nights at the garden and then came back about a week later and played Foxboro stadium (w/ the pogues opening)  Bono had his arm in a sling from a fall during a show during the week away,  The Garden shows were extremely good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I would have mentioned a U2 concert, too, for the sheer awesomeness of that band and the energy they have on stage (and the secret crush I have on The Edge).  BUT, it was way too loud, and that completely ruined it for me.  It was the Elevation tour with the cool heart-shaped stage, but I can't remember what the date was for the life of me. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    We were asked to pick one.  Most of us did that.

jesseyeric, in true NYC style, listed about 20.  That's the New York state of mind. 
    Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Jummer Jam 88 Aerosmith BOC GNR
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is a heaping helping of guitar licks. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How can you pick just one?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE](and the secret crush I have on The Edge).  Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

it's no secret kar, there is no other reason why you would have picked him as your lead guitarist in your super band :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best : We were asked to pick one.  Most of us did that. jesseyeric, in true NYC style, listed about 20.  That's the New York state of mind. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

you didn't either yoga! since when is a stage show a concert!?Tongue out

sorry i'm on the defensive today, these customers are driving me up the wall.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best : it's no secret kar, there is no other reason why you would have picked him as your lead guitarist in your super band :)

Blush!  ;)  I'm honored you remembered!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK You told about your worst concert, Now tell your best : you didn't either yoga! since when is a stage show a concert!? sorry i'm on the defensive today, these customers are driving me up the wall.
    I wasn't talking to you.   And I think the person I was addressing is quite capable of speaking for himself.
     Smile
    And if you saw what I saw in the way of music, you'd understand why I mentioned it.  Trite as this sounds, it was a mind-altering experience.   It was a musical performance that I will never experience again, truly once in a lifetime. 

I kicked your butt about Jagged Little Pill, that is probably the real issue here.   Don't mess with me.   You don't know who you're dealing with.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

October 2001, Mountain View CA, Bridge School Benefit, Neil Young, REM, Dave Mathews Band, Pearl Jam, Ben Harper, Tracey Chapman, and I think Billy Idol Great show. Just after September 11th, and the crowd was a bit uneasy and quiet. Young opened the show with acoustic version's of "Sugar Mountain,: and "Long May you Run," and the concert just took off from there. It was the classic ice-breaker. A lot of the show revolved around the events of the past couple of months, and the songs reflected that from "Give Peace a chance, " with Vedder, Young and Mathews, to  Lennon's "Imagine," with the whole ensemble joining in at the end, and the crowd chanting the lyrics as the show ended. Still gives me chills!

Other Highlights- Peal Jams version of the Who's, "The Kid's are Alright," Vedder, Young and Mathews on "Rocking in the Free World," and Young's great versions of Dylans "Blowing in the Wind," and the Beatles, "Give Peace a Chance, Stipe's versions of "It's the end of the World," and "Everybody Hurts," were especially poignant. It was an Unforgettable experience.

Second choice ELP "The Works," tour July 77, Boston. I was young, but it still really stands out. Amazing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]How can you pick just one?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure.   Maybe the way you fall in love with one person, even though there are beautiful, amazing, inspiring people all around you. 

yogi / peace / out - have a sweet day. 

Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]October 2001, Mountain View CA, Bridge School Benefit, Neil Young, REM, Dave Mathews Band, Pearl Jam, Ben Harper, Tracey Chapman, and I think Billy Idol Great show. Just after September 11th, and the crowd was a bit uneasy and quiet. Young opened the show with acoustic version's of "Sugar Mountain,: and "Long May you Run," and the concert just took off from there. It was the classic ice-breaker. A lot of the show revolved around the events the past month, and the songs reflected that from "Give Peace a chance, " with Vedder, Young and Mathews, to  Lennon's "Imagine," with the whole ensemble joining in at the end, and the crowd chanting the lyrics as the show ended. Still gives me chills!
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]
    Can only imagine what it was like to see Neil Young at that time (or any time, for that matter).  Sounds like it was amazing.    Especially a Bridge School benefit.  Doesn't get more special than that. 
    Sweet.  Smile

Sections
Shortcuts