One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth

Wow, some truly wretched songs there, huh? Didn't see any that I would disagree with, though by definition I believe novelty songs should be disqualified.

Two songs I would would have included, and high on the list, are "Simply Irresistible" and "Addited to Love." How did Robert Palmer get rich again?

Also "Jack and Diane." Oh, and "Hot Legs" and just about anything Rod Stewart did from the mid-70s on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth

In Response to Re: One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth:
    Wow, some truly wretched songs there, huh? Didn't see any that I would disagree with, though by definition I believe novelty songs should be disqualified. Two songs I would would have included, and high on the list, are "Simply Irresistible" and "Addited to Love." How did Robert Palmer get rich again? Also "Jack and Diane." Oh, and "Hot Legs" and just about anything Rod Stewart did from the mid-70s on.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I agree with your additions and your point about novelty songs.

As for my opinionon the list, thankfully, there are so many of them I haven't heard of. One that should not be on the list is Do They Know It's Christmas. For the type of song it is and for what it was meant to do, it's really not a bad song.

I also wouldn't put Seasons in the Sun for no other reasons it reminds me of the fifth grade (my favorite year in elementary school). I actually like the song. It sort of is the quintissential '70s pop song.

I understand why You Light Up My Life is on the list, but it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with a lot of the crp that's on this list. Maybe it's that I have a soft spot for pop tunes from the 1970s because I listened to AM Top 40 as a kid so these songs remind me of being a kid.

Sometimes When We Touch belongs in the above category too, although it has added meaning because a high school girlfriend loved the song.

I'd Do Anything For Love definitely shouldn't be on the list. Look, if you don't like Jim Steinman's style, fine, but this song is a masterpiece compared to the other songs on the list. And Meat Loaf is 100 times the vocalist as anyone on the list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There's this song they play here at work by some artist known as Rihana or something like that...it is pure trash and sounds like somebody plunking on a kid's tinny, toy piano along with some computer generated sounds and some chick singing words you can't really understand.

There is this country song by this girl called."Feel like a Woman"...well, no s#*t...you are a woman, what are you supposed to feel like, an armidillo?

A crappy remake of "Freebird/Baby I love Your Way" that makes me want to vomit.

All of the Bee Gees disco songs.

Many of the Huey Lewis and the News songs are tolerable, even toe tappers, but in truth utter nonsense not fit for zoo animals.

These are some of my "worst"....but we all have these. Why should this person's list be used a reference point for all?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

You know what other song I absolutely hate? "American Pie." I know many love it because it's supposedly about the history of rock and roll, Buddy Holly, etc., but I can't help hating it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth:
    You know what other song I absolutely hate? "American Pie." I know many love it because it's supposedly about the history of rock and roll, Buddy Holly, etc., but I can't help hating it.
    Posted by LloydDobler

This is the point exactly.

With the literallly thousands (millions, maybe?) of music choices no one need ever listen to something they hate when in control of the situation.

Unfortunately , when at work or in a shopping center or restaurant, etc. , we don't control what is played. This is when we get exposed to music we wouldn't play for the cat (for fear of being attacked). The good in this is that we have a better measuring stick for "good" and "bad", and we can appreciate the stuff we like much more.

After 8 hours at work being subject to too much of what is called "pop" music in 2010 mixed with a few "soft-rock oldies" (Don Henley and Stevie Nicks, etc....not bad , but...) when I finally have a chance to turn on the CD player at home , I am so happy to listen to the stuff from my collection that appeals to me. And I like it even more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

You Light Up My Life definitely used to bug me as well. And what made it worse, it was the #1 song for a long time (a record 10 weeks at the time).

Another popular song of that time that bugged me was That's The Way I Like It by KC And The Sunshine Band.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Dont know all the songs on the list but of all the ones I do know I cant say they dont belong on the list.

We built this city is one of the worst songs ever.

One I didnt see was Horse with no name, what a dumb bad song.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by LloydDobler

C'mon, you can't hate American Pie. The lyrics are great.

One of the funnier parody songs I heard was on American Pie. Back in the 1980s, WDIZ in Orlando, an Album Rock station, had a morning DJ team called Baxter and Mark, who were great to listen to. They'd do parody skits and songs, and did one on American Pie leading up to the execution of Ted Bundy. It had a couple of verses that I can't remember, but I still remember the chorus:

Bye, bye Ted Bundy bye, bye
    Your appeals have run out and now you're going to fry.
    And good ol' boys are drinking whiskey and rye,
    singing this will be the day that you die
    This will be the day that you die.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I hated the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". There was even a remake! Ugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is strange, but as much as I love The Beatles, the one song in the RnR genre that makes me cringe is a Beatles song. Michelle is just nauseating.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It is strange, but as much as I love The Beatles, the one song in the RnR genre that makes me cringe is a Beatles song. Michelle is just nauseating.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I don't really think it's rock'n'roll.

Perhaps you dislike the French? I'm half English/half Portuguese, and not a big fan of French folks as you might surmise from my British ancestry. )I love it when John Cleese and Michaeal Palin of Monty Python's Flying Circus imitate French and Aussie folks...just hilarious!). Still I am glad I took French in high school (3 years of it, ZOOT ALLOURS!!!) so at least I can laugh along with the Python crew when they poke fun at the Francais,non?

But, once again, I've rambled on, there are few Beatles tunes that I can live without. Mr. Moonlight,Revolution 9, Good Night, and This Boy don't excite me. All thing considered, I would say those are about the only ones I really do not like much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Looks about right to me......my only objections would be:

"Afternoon Delight", of which the subject matter is way too pleasant and was redeemed by ironic cameos in both "Good Will Hunting" and "Anchorman".

"Do They Know It's Xmas" - a worthy cause and, to me, much better than "We Are The World" (and even with Paul Young) - which isn't saying a whole lot.

Add to the list:
    "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" (and I don't want to throw up, so please don't play it any more)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the list missed an entire era.  Songs on AM radio during the early 70s.

Remember the "Lords Prayer", "My Blue Jeans", "Billy, Don't be a hero", "Wildfire", "We had joy we had fun, we had seizures in the sun", "The night the lights went out in Georgia".

Moving ahead a few decades, nothing from Phil Collins or post Peter Gabriel - Genesis??  And nothing from Cold Play????  I hate Cold Play. Whenever I hear Cold Play on the radio, I have to fight the urge to stick sharp objects in my ears.

Oh, here's one ... "Beth" from KISS.  Or, "slow dancing, swaying to the music".

I have to disagree about "Afternoon Delight" making the list.  Yes, it's hideous song - but was featured prominently on an episode of "Arrested Development" - the Uncle and niece selecting it for a Karioke duet - very disturbing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm going to go ahead and consider myself fortunate for not recognizing a fairly large number of the songs on this list.

I was kind of surprised to see The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be" on there. I've always liked that song, and actually had to track down a Brit to find out what "haver" means.

Also, seeing the theme from Friends on there reminded me of old friend Rob Paravonian.

This is pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8wBNoiv90

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think the list missed an entire era.  Songs on AM radio during the early 70s.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Yes, much of AM radio in the early 70's ( and after that too, for all I know...but I stopped listening to AM around that time) was quite putrid.

"Midnight at the Oasis", anyone???...excuse me while I go vomit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

For starters "what's up" 4 nonblondes is a great tune. Who doesn't love to sing along to "I wake in the morning and I step outside.... I take a deep breath and I get real high and I scream, what's going on".  That one kills around the campfire everytime.

Add to the list.... How about that new Michael Franti C R A P 'Sound of Sunshine' which sounds just like that C R A P he released last summer?  Sound of Sunshine? what the H E L L does that even mean?  Franti is such a tool.

Totally agree with above poster about Afternoon Delight.  Damon and Ferrell totally reinvented that one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.  Completely intolerable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Sylvia's Mother by Dr. Hook. Awful. Alone Again naturally-Gilbert O'Sullivan- almost as bad and the same year 1972, which was such a good music year. There were two horrible sings by the same artist from the same year 1975. A guy named David Geddes.  "Run Joey Run" and "The last game of the season" aka known as "The blind mand in the stands" Putrid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.  Completely intolerable.  
    Posted by Elekktra

"See the tree how big it's grown".......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

In Response to Re: One hundred worst songs of all time according to some guy - for what it's worth : "See the tree how big it's grown".......
    Posted by jaytf25

What tripe!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My vote goes to 'You Spin Me Round' by Dead or Alive.  For full effect the video has to be seen. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

"Mandy" by Barely Man-enough, is right up there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Someone left the cake out in the rain, and I think that I  can't take it cause it took so long to make and I'll never have that recipe again.    bg However, an amazing singer.bg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Someone left the cake out in the rain, and I think that I  can't take it cause it took so long to make and I'll never have that recipe again.    bg However, an amazing singer.bg
    Posted by beastsgirl

McArthur's Park "sung" by Richard Harris the actor (deceased).  I believe the lyric was a dopey metaphor for xxx. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Didn't see the list but heard something like it on the BBC World Report earlier this week. They did a bit of William Shatner singing/rapping/butchering "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds." Let me just say, listening to that was not the best way to start my day.

Sections
Shortcuts