One Trick Ponies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: One Trick Ponies

In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies:
    [QUOTE]Have to dissent on Chicago.  Their first two albums were epic heaps of jazz-rock-funk with outstanding hooks and solid musical chops.  Yes, they fell off precipitiously afterwards into the yacht rock-70s pop wasteland and were never quite the same despite multi-multi-platinum success.  But there were definite reasons why they sold so well and lasted so long: skilled songcraft that appealed to millions.  I mean, look at Abba, who's sold a gazillion records worldwide...I'm no big fan, but I can appreciate that the band was working at a very high level of craft. As for Asia - same thing...it's much easier to cast aspersions than it is to really listen and understand what made them popular, if only for a short while.  I don't think anyone would argue that Asia was better than ELP even at their best
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Well said. Chicago's first two albums, especially "Chicago Transit Authority," were outstanding. "Beginnings, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is, and Questions 67/68, were a great mix of different musical styles be it Jazz, Latin, R&R. The horns, and percussions sounded great, and new. They did go severely off course later, but I still enjoy their early stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Re: One Trick Ponies

It's going to sound like sacrilege to some, but the Rolling Stones are on my list.  That first 10 or 12 years they were great.  But they've been doing an AC/DC,  making the same record over and over, for the last 30.

Sections
Shortcuts