Only one original member is still alive

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Only one original member is still alive

All but one of the original members of this band are deceased.   Wow.  

I am thinking (and just saw a reference) of a specific band, but there may be more than one.

Do you know of bands that fit this criteria?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Only one original member is still alive

In Response to Only one original member is still alive:
    [QUOTE]All but one of the original members of this band are deceased.   Wow.   I am thinking (and just saw a reference) of a specific band, but there may be more than one. Do you know of bands that fit this criteria?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

There are a few:

Jimi Hendrix Experience & The Ramones to start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

The Bee Gees?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive:
    [QUOTE]The BeeGees?
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

I believe that only Maurice passed on. Barry and Robin to my knowledge are still alive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I spoke too soon, Robin is still alive but ill with cancer, my bad.   Don't forget Andy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Big Star?  (Jody Stephens)

[Note: I've been listening to The Posies lately, of whom two members became part of Big Star "2.0" in the 90s...]

Coincidence?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Only one original member is still alive : There are a few: Jimi Hendrix Experience & The Ramones to start.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I know you're right about these two, but I have another band in mind.

No hints just yet.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Big Star?  (Jody Stephens) [Note: I've been listening to The Posies lately, of whom two members became part of Big Star "2.0" in the 90s...] Coincidence?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're right about this, too.   But I have another band in mind.  

There are no coincidences in my world (and no free lunches, either) :P  (note: recently, something happened to a sibling of mine and he called it a coincidence -- heh, that's what he thinks ...)

Okay, one hint for you all: the remaining live member is a chick. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I was thinking the Pretenders but I think Martin Chambers (drummer) is still alive..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I was thinking the Pretenders but I think Martin Chambers (drummer) is still alive..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

He is.

Yogi - I love you, but there are a few other bands out there, some obscure who fall within your criteria. Give us something more; what era, what genre, something?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : I'm sure you're right about this, too.   But I have another band in mind.   There are no coincidences in my world (and no free lunches, either) :P  (note: recently, something happened to a sibling of mine and he called it a coincidence -- heh, that's what he thinks ...) Okay, one hint for you all: the remaining live member is a chick. 

The Mamas & The Papas...?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Lynyrd Skynyrd. Gary Rossington.

Edit: I guess I missed the part about the person being female..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : The Mamas & The Papas...?

Rrrrrrright.  Excellent. 

I was reading something that Michelle Phillips said and was thinking that she flies under the radar as a bit of hotness from back in her day --  then saw that all of her former band mates are deceased.  Wow, sad.  

(Sorry, JE -- I almost caved, but I've learned)  :P  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : The Mamas & The Papas...?

If Jeopardy ever had a music only episode, I would back Matty.

They were on my list and I should have seen it when she said surviving female member.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Lynyrd Skynyrd . Gary Rossington. Edit: I guess I missed the part about the person being female..
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  Other than the one I had in mind,  all the other bands mentioned just add to the mix.   So different from bands that splinter - with these, there's just the one member left.   Leaves a different feeling.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : If Jeopardy ever had a music only episode, I would back Matty. Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

So would I...

...if I didn't have frequent bouts of stagefright.

:P

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : Interesting.  Other than the one I had in mind,  all the other bands mentioned just add to the mix.   So different from bands that splinter - with these, there's just the one member left.   Leaves a different feeling.  

Agree. It has to be an odd feeling for someone like Rossington to be standing on a stage, playing the songs and turn around expecting to see Albert Collins or Stevie Gaines take the lead, only to remember their gone.

I want to remember them the way there were in 1977. The new lineup just creeps me out for some reason. I can't put my finger on it... To me they are now a tribute band, and maybe that is the way it should be...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : Agree. It has to be an odd feeling for someone like Rossington to be standing on a stage, playing the songs and turn around expecting to see Albert Collins or Stevie Gaines take the lead, only to remember their gone. I want to remember them the way there were in 1977. The new lineup just creeps me out for some reason. I can't put my finger on it... To me they are now a tribute band, and maybe that is the way it should be...
    Actually, Ed King -- the guitarist on early stuff who left in 1975 and was replaced by Steve Gaines -- is still alive. And Artimus Pyle the drummer is still alive, along with Bob Burns, the original drummer who left in 1974 is also alive.

Neither, of course, are playing now but they part of the Skynyrd prime before the crash.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : Actually, Ed King -- the guitarist on early stuff who left in 1975 and was replaced by Steve Gaines -- is still alive. And Artimus Pyle the drummer is still alive, along with Bob Burns, the original drummer who left in 1974 is also alive. Neither, of course, are playing now but they part of the Skynyrd prime before the crash.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Good catch Roy. I forgot about Pyle and King. I am not up on Burns.-- Pyle and Rossington have been through H*ll and lived to talk about it. --- Billy Powell's passing was really the end of the band for me, as his keyboards were such a big part of the classic Skynyrd sound-- Like I said they are nothing more than a tribute band with little Van Zant belting out the songs that made his brother famous.  But people will always love them, buy the new stuff, and see them live no matter who is singing and playing and that is because of who came before.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : Good catch Roy. I forgot about Pyle and King. I am not up on Burns.-- Pyle and Rossington have been through H*ll and lived to talk about it. --- Billy Powell's passing was really the end of the band for me, as his keyboards were such a big part of the classic Skynyrd sound-- Like I said they are nothing more than a tribute band with little Van Zant belting out the songs that made his brother famous.  But people will always love them, buy the new stuff, and see them live no matter who is singing and playing and that is because of who came before.

The Skynyrd story truly is tragic. Like Buddy Holly, it's not like they crashed and burned (no pun intented) in their prime over drugs and alchohol. It was a plane crash right when they were at their peak. I always get a strange melancholy feeling when I see live performances of the original group.

Then you have the Allen Collins story, which unfortunately was due to alchohol. His story on its own is really sad. He loses close friends in the plane crash when his band was in its prime. He nearly loses an arm, but was able to rehab. Then his wife dies tragically. I can understand at that point why alchohol became a problem. I saw video of him being brought on stage in a wheelchair after the group reformed. That was sad to see. He was just in his mid-30s at the time.

Had he not had the accident, when the reformed in 1987 with Ed King, they had basically an original (when they hit it big) lineup, just missing Ronnie Van Zandt. Even w/o Collins, I didn't mind that re-formation of the band because all the able and alive members participated and Johnny was Ronnie's brother. 

They '87-'91 group, I could call Lynyrd Skynyrd. However, slowly over time, the group really did transform into a tribute band. Collins, who had been serving as musical director, died in 1990 at 37, Pyle left in 1991, King left in 1996, Wilkeson died in 2001, Billy Powell in 2009.

And having guys like Hughie Thomasson and Rickey Medlocke have stints in the band, it became less Skynyrd and more of a Southern Rock All-Star band.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : The Skynyrd story truly is tragic. Like Buddy Holly, it's not like they crashed and burned (no pun intented) in their prime over drugs and alchohol. It was a plane crash right when they were at their peak. I always get a strange melancholy feeling when I see live performances of the original group. Then you have the Allen Collins story, which unfortunately was due to alchohol. His story on its own is really sad. He loses close friends in the plane crash when his band was in its prime. He nearly loses an arm, but was able to rehab. Then his wife dies tragically. I can understand at that point why alchohol became a problem. I saw video of him being brought on stage in a wheelchair after the group reformed. That was sad to see. He was just in his mid-30s at the time. Had he not had the accident, when the reformed in 1987 with Ed King, they had basically an original (when they hit it big) lineup, just missing Ronnie Van Zandt. Even w/o Collins, I didn't mind that re-formation of the band because all the able and alive members participated and Johnny was Ronnie's brother.  They '87-'91 group, I could call Lynyrd Skynyrd. However, slowly over time, the group really did transform into a tribute band. Collins, who had been serving as musical director, died in 1990 at 37, Pyle left in 1991, King left in 1996, Wilkeson died in 2001, Billy Powell in 2009. And having guys like Hughie Thomasson and Rickey Medlocke have stints in the band, it became less Skynyrd and more of a Southern Rock All-Star band.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the series of events that have plagued this Band are beyond tragic. I remember watching VH1's Behind the Music, " Skynyrd episode and saying holly S****t, what's next. What really stood out from that episode was Pyle walking a half mile or so bleeding from his spleen to get help after the crash. God almighty. Its hard to watch the old footage because you know what happens. The clip of Skynyrd playing That Smell live for the first or second time just before the crash, shows just how tight they were. Nothing against the Allmans, Tucker, Outlaws, Blackfoot, all great bands -- but Skynyrd was Southern Rock, and probably wrote the greatest Southern rock song ever, Simple Man

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one original member is still alive : Yeah, the series of events that have plagued this Band are beyond tragic. I remember watching VH1's Behind the Music , " Skynyrd episode and saying holly S****t, what's next. What really stood out from that episode was Pyle walking a half mile or so bleeding from his spleen to get help after the crash. God almighty. Its hard to watch the old footage without feeling sad because you know what happens next. The clip of Skynyrd playing  That Smell  live for the first or second time just before the crash, shows just how tight they were. Nothing against the Allmans, Tucker, Outlaws, Blackfoot, all great bands -- but Skynyrd was Southern Rock, and probably wrote the greatest Southern rock song ever, Simple Man
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]This buddy of mine was an old roadie who worked for the rolling stones and skynyrd among others. He always said rock 'n roll and airplanes don't mix.