Opening acts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Opening acts

If it's true, one of the most legendary pairings was when Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees.

Not sure if you've seen an opener that can top that, but what concert opening acts have been among your favorites?   Any that exceeded expectations, whether they were known or unknown to you?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Opening acts

I saw Eilen Jewell open for Graham Parker and became a fan of hers. Jeff Healey (RIP) opened for headliner Bonnie Raitt as the main acts at the end of a day long Blues festival and I was blown away. Geraint Watkins opened for Nick Lowe and he really entertained me.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jeff Beck opened for Santana a few years back.  That was a fairly great, intense night of guitar noodling.

Saw My Morning Jacket for the first time as an opener for Foo Fighters...I've been a MMJ fan ever since.

Living Colour opening for the Stones in '89 was pretty damm cool (if incongruous), even though I've seen better sets from LC.  

DMB opening for The Samples at the Orpheum, circa 1994.  I actually skipped their set at HORDE that summer in Old Orchard, and they exploded soon thereafter.

The most notable I can think of now is when Phish opened for Santana in the summer of '92 in Stowe, VT.  The jams with Carlos were epic, and I barely knew who they were.  Suffice to say I knew afterwards...and I still have bootleg tapes from that show.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Spring Concert at UMass in ... geez I don't remember the exact year anymore, 1980 give or take one year.  NRBQ came out in their pajamas at 10.  And then Bonnie Raitt followed (with Freebo!).  And then finally, the Allman Brothers jammed for about 3 hours.  It was a great day.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. I would have been ripped to the titts.  Bonnie and then the Allmans? Whoa.  Who is NRBQ?

[/QUOTE]

NRBQ is one of my favorite bands. They are one of the most well known and successful unknown and unsuccessful bands. Here is a sample of one my favorite songs of theirs. If you want a great party album, you can't go wrong with their album At Yankee Stadium. No, it's not a live album, but an example of the band's sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRK2o3EkOUw

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Billy Squier - '82 was a great opening act.

I enjoyed the Subdudes, they were a pretty good opening act

The "WORST" opening act was Soft Cell...they were booed and pelted with whatever could be thrown at them when they opened for the Cars at the old Boston Garden....

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Great topic....So many for me. I have many times where I much prefer the opening act.

I saw the Pixies open back in the 80's when they just started out. the tow headline bands were Peter Murphy and The Sugarcubes..Pixies blew them all away... Billy Bragg opening for the Smiths..The Feelies opening for Lou Reed was great. The Connels opening for the Replacements.. Recetnly Jay Reatard opening for the Pixies in 2009 was out of this world for me.. Also really enjoyed Titus Andronicus who opened for the Pogues. I try to usually see the opening bands. Opens my eyes to different music..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have one that Yoga would appreciate, but didn't do much for me at the time, and still wouldn't:

The Scorpions were the middle act, and I never heard of them (I was all Southern Rock at that point in time and turned my nose up at all metal). I loved them right away though.  Something about Klaus's vocals struck a nerve with me.  I hate most Metal singers and he's not that different from the rest of them. It's a very fine line I guess.

And, drum roll please, the openers.  A bunch of wet behind the ears kids from England, not a one over the age of 16 if I'm remembering this correct.  They called themselves Def Leppard.  And I thought they sucked.  Still do. Sorry Yoga! We all have our own Talking Heads

[/QUOTE]

Wait, Yoga loves Def Leppard?   

[/QUOTE]

Too funny...

I believe (and hope ...) he was referring to the Scorpions.   Smile   It's true that there can be a very "fine line" and that line was easily crossed  (by me) for the Scorpions.   One of my "forum finds" for sure.

As for Def Leppard, they're not on my radar. Always struck me as a bit cheesy, but I've never thought to pursue them on any count.  I do like their signature logo, however; it's among many that are very easily recognized.   

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeff Beck opened for Santana a few years back.  That was a fairly great, intense night of guitar noodling.

Saw My Morning Jacket for the first time as an opener for Foo Fighters...I've been a MMJ fan ever since.

Living Colour opening for the Stones in '89 was pretty damm cool (if incongruous), even though I've seen better sets from LC.  

DMB opening for The Samples at the Orpheum, circa 1994.  I actually skipped their set at HORDE that summer in Old Orchard, and they exploded soon thereafter.

The most notable I can think of now is when Phish opened for Santana in the summer of '92 in Stowe, VT.  The jams with Carlos were epic, and I barely knew who they were.  Suffice to say I knew afterwards...and I still have bootleg tapes from that show.

[/QUOTE]

I remember the Samples. My freshman year roomate introduced me to them.  Colorado band.   Didn't really get it.  Not bad, but did not get the attraction.

Funny how within a year DMB would be headlining and then be playing stadiums by the late 1990s.

It's funny how that stuff works. I still have no idea why DMB became so big.  Good band, but I never fully understood the hysteria around them.    

I remember hearing about Living Colour opening for the Stones.  I think they also opened some Neil shows with the Horse in the early 90s, if I am not mistaken.

It must have been funny to see Trey doing his chicken bob thing all giddy playing with Santana.  lmao

[/QUOTE]

The Samples are still out there doing it, perhaps in spite of themselves but with a good core following.  They were always pretty solid live.

I've theorized on here before about the curious attraction/success of DMB, as I've been to numerous shows with my wife, a big fan for awhile (but waning lately), so I know the catalog and crowds pretty well.  I think their appeal lies in their relative banality (read: safe for moms and dads) but also their pseudo-jazzy, stoner-lite, cheeky vibe (almost all of the songs are about sex).  If you will, a sort of romance novel version of a jam band...still compelling and well-composed but singular of purpose.

Re: phish - the whole band was fairly giddy and weird at that point.  Trey has to be one of the goofiest guitarist/leader in all of rock on a good day, though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

I have one that Yoga would appreciate, but didn't do much for me at the time, and still wouldn't:

A friend dragged me to a triple-bill at the Orpheum ... again I'm blanking on the exact year, but it was about '78, give or take a year.  The Headliner, Judas Priest, who had 'Living After Midnight' going on at the time.  They were okay, I thought it was ridiculous when Rob Whatshisname rode on stage on a harley, wearing leather.  It was about 95  outside and 100 inside. He passed out halfway through the show, but recovered and finished. 

The Scorpions were the middle act, and I never heard of them (I was all Southern Rock at that point in time and turned my nose up at all metal). I loved them right away though.  Something about Klaus's vocals struck a nerve with me.  I hate most Metal singers and he's not that different from the rest of them. It's a very fine line I guess.

And, drum roll please, the openers.  A bunch of wet behind the ears kids from England, not a one over the age of 16 if I'm remembering this correct.  They called themselves Def Leppard.  And I thought they sucked.  Still do. Sorry Yoga! We all have our own Talking Heads

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on metal singers. It is a genre I have little interest in. Actually, it's not just the singers; the guitar style doesn't appeal to me either.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I remember the Samples. My freshman year roomate introduced me to them.  Colorado band.   Didn't really get it.  Not bad, but did not get the attraction.

Funny how within a year DMB would be headlining and then be playing stadiums by the late 1990s.

It's funny how that stuff works. I still have no idea why DMB became so big.  Good band, but I never fully understood the hysteria around them.    

I remember hearing about Living Colour opening for the Stones.  I think they also opened some Neil shows with the Horse in the early 90s, if I am not mistaken.

It must have been funny to see Trey doing his chicken bob thing all giddy playing with Santana.  lmao

[/QUOTE]

The Samples are still out there doing it, perhaps in spite of themselves but with a good core following.  They were always pretty solid live.

I've theorized on here before about the curious attraction/success of DMB, as I've been to numerous shows with my wife, a big fan for awhile (but waning lately), so I know the catalog and crowds pretty well.  I think their appeal lies in their relative banality (read: safe for moms and dads) but also their pseudo-jazzy, stoner-lite, cheeky vibe (almost all of the songs are about sex).  If you will, a sort of romance novel version of a jam band...still compelling and well-composed but singular of purpose.

Re: phish - the whole band was fairly giddy and weird at that point.  Trey has to be one of the goofiest guitarist/leader in all of rock on a good day, though.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both of the analysis.  DMB shows were great place to meet girls. That's about it.  I respect the careers and they are a good band, etc, but I always felt it was just too flat (banal is a good word) for my tastes. No bite.  Also, their songs all kind of sound the same.  A little boring for me even if their songs are about sex, which I never even bothered to figure out.  Crash is the only one I can think of that is blatantly about that and that was their last decent album anyway, 15 years ago.

I just remember being shocked at how popular they became.  They hit the female demographic, while keeping the make one perfectly, no doubt.  It's what Phish, WSP and certainly the Crowes never quite hit anywhere near as well.   I would even argue crowds at DMB shows were predominantly female.

Trey is very goofy, yes. lmao

[/QUOTE]

DMB shows have more than their share of fawning bromancers in the seats.  It's endlessly fascinating and amusing to me, like a social phenomenon worthy of clinical research.

After the first show, I didn't see them again until several years later when I took my eventual wife on a date, and she was hooked.  She owns every studio and livetrax album they've released, plus the Dave & Tim stuff.  Together, we've seen over two dozen shows in several states.

I'll also attest that they are 10x better live than in studio, fwiw, and that Carter and Tim are definitely masters of their instruments.  In terms of live, instrumental jamming, they are a very tight, veteran group, and the horns add some steam to the mix.  

I prefer those other jam bands, too, but they don't have even close to the same cache with the ladies as Dave does.  Somehow he speaks to them, and boy do they listen....

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts