Otis Redding: 'The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collection'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Otis Redding: 'The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collection'

Saw this review yesterday, as it's a new release.   I noticed it primarily due to the names of the record labels in the album title, since we've had some great discussions re: record labels. 

Just thought you'd find the review and box set of interest.  Here you go:

It is probably impossible to go wrong with a collection of songs by Otis Redding, by far one of the most righteous soul singers of all time. And just about everything about this new compilation, “The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collection,” goes right.

The title of this three-disc, 70-song set says it all, collecting every A and B side Redding released, some for the first time on CD. That includes singles he released with Carla Thomas, a pair of Christmas songs, and a handful of white-hot live tracks, all in their original mono mixes.

So many compilations have been released on Redding, and his tale is well known, but it would have been nice if there were a more substantive accompanying booklet with biographical context and chart information. Of course the songs tell the story just fine on their own.

From big, rocking rumblers — including his get-on-the-good-foot take on the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction” — to such gritty, pleading ballads as the searing “That’s What My Heart Needs” and the big hits like “(Sittin’ on) the Dock of the Bay,” it’s easy to fall under Redding’s impassioned sway all over again. (Globe Staff)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Otis Redding: 'The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collection'

This is an amazing review of the box set, if you're interested in reading further into the selection of songs.   Even if you're not going to plan to purchase the box set, the review captures some excellent info.  

" 'The Glory of Love” is not a very good song. Not the Peter Cetera hit, although that’s no masterpiece either. I’m talking about the song by C&W songwriter Billy Hill, which has been covered by Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Peggy Lee, Eddy Arnold and, most recently, Paul McCartney. With its twin melodic lines—“That’s the story of, that’s the glory of love”—and its oppressively chipper tempo, it’s certainly catchy in a nursery rhyme sort of way, yet it’s supremely saccharine and just plain dopey. So why would someone like Otis Redding, at the height of his esteem, choose to cover this song out of the thousands in the American pop canon? It’s hard to imagine anyone save Hill himself thinking it was worth the great singer’s time, even if they didn’t know how limited his time was.

But here’s the catch: Otis Redding absolutely kills it. ...."

"Stax released “The Glory of Love” as a single in 1967, with Redding’s “I’m Coming Home” on the b-side. It was a small-ish hit for the singer and a minor addition to his catalog. No one’s version is especially well remembered, and even this one, arguably the definitive version, is rarely anthologized." 

Full review:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/07/otis-redding-the-complete-staxvolt-singles-collect.html

"I really didn't say everything I said."  Yogi Berra 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I love Otis Redding and I already have a boxed set as well as a two disc set. He was a great performer and had great Stax house bands and musicians to back him up. Can't praise him enough. Here is one of his classics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xEvsJtrl60

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I love Otis Redding and I already have a boxed set as well as a two disc set. He was a great performer and had great Stax house bands and musicians to back him up. Can't praise him enough. Here is one of his classics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xEvsJtrl60

Thanks.  Can't say it surprises me that you're a fan.   With the box set and other disc set you have, you may feel you're all set, but it's nice to see Otis Redding get some props with a new box set, for new fans, or older fans who perhaps, don't own much of his music.   I thought the reviews were unique, compared to many that I read.   Also, I didn't realize that he died quite so young.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Otis Redding was one of the greatest practitioners of the sweatiest, sexiest, grooviest, down home, finger licking', guitar pickin', horn blowin', keyboard poundin', get up and goin', hip shakin', love makin', sweetest forms of music that we call SOUL. It took a particular time, a particular place, and a particular race to cook up this emotional stew with buttered biscuits of comfort music. Don't ask me how a square Western Massachusetts white boy miles away in distance and culture came to feel this music deep down inside and become a soul man himself. Yes, just like Sam & Dave, I'm a Soul Man. Otis and many other of the great soul performers from the Deep South made a magical connection with a guy who can't really "know" where they are comin' from but still connects with the deep, soulful, emotional expression of their music. This is music you feel, with your heart, your soul, your whole damn body, so's you just want to jump up and move and groove and celebrate every precious breath and every physical pleasure of just bein' alive.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Otis Redding was one of the greatest practitioners of the sweatiest, sexiest, grooviest, down home, finger licking', guitar pickin', horn blowin', keyboard poundin', get up and goin', hip shakin', love makin', sweetest forms of music that we call SOUL. It took a particular time, a particular place, and a particular race to cook up this emotional stew with buttered biscuits of comfort music. Don't ask me how a square Western Massachusetts white boy miles away in distance and culture came to feel this music deep down inside and become a soul man himself. Yes, just like Sam & Dave, I'm a Soul Man. Otis and many other of the great soul performers from the Deep South made a magical connection with a guy who can't really "know" where they are comin' from but still connects with the deep, soulful, emotional expression of their music. This is music you feel, with your heart, your soul, your whole damn body, so's you just want to jump up and move and groove and celebrate every precious breath and every physical pleasure of just bein' alive.

- Thomas Jefferson

Well said DD !!! You gotta love Otis"My Man" Redding.Truly one of the greats.

Sections
Shortcuts