Output : Part II : The WWW's 25th anniversary, erosion of (fill in the blank) and convenience :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Output : Part II : The WWW's 25th anniversary, erosion of (fill in the blank) and convenience :)

all rolled into one beautiful summary.  :)

Here's Zilla's post from another thread:

We keep coming back to the "Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death" thing.

Because that's what life is all about these days....conveneince.

Convenience has brought us the smartphone, remote control for your air conditioner and pedestal fan ( not just your T.V.) , drive-up windows, Dunkin' Donuts on every street corner....(remember when it was "worth the trip?"), rear window defoggers, gas stations that sell potato chips and soda...which you don't need as much as the gas, but heck, they don't make any money if you just buy gas...right?, and dozens of other things that you can buy with your credit card( that's another) by dialing that 800 number before midnight tonight and getting the special "2nd" item....free!..."just pay processing fee" ( remember when "free" meant "nothing?")....these items include the Clapper...convenience brought to a new level and the No No so you don't have to bother with shaving anymore.....Mighty Putty , so you can tow a battleship with your Jetta...and we all want to do this...how convenient!

Have at it.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Output : Part II : The WWW's 25th anniversary, erosion of (fill in the blank) and convenience :)

Please note:  The Internet and the WWW are not the same thing.  We all know who "invented" the Internet.   :)

As for the WWW, March 1989, 25 years ago marks the spot:

"Today marks the 25th birthday of an invention which has changed humanity forever, and created a new virtual world within a generation. There was no birthday cake yesterday, but you could have been forgiven for thinking a celebrity had just shown up at the Science Museum ...

Sir Tim (Berners-Lee)  was a 34-year-old physics graduate working as a software engineer at Cern in 1989, when he wrote a paper simply titled "Information Management: A Proposal". It stated: "the hope would be to allow a pool of information to develop which could grow and evolve with the organisation and the projects it describes". Ironically, the aim was envisaged as "a universal linked information system" where "generality and portability are more important than fancy graphics techniques and complex extra facilities".

It was initially damned with faint praise, his boss Mike Sendall writing "vague but exciting" on the cover.

Undaunted, Sir Tim went on to write the the HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), HyperText Markup Language (HTML), and the first ever web browser, WorldWideWeb. The web was initially called "Mesh" - with "World Wide Web" being coined by Sir Tim in 1990. By 1993 Cern allowed the technology to be freely used by all. And within a few years millions of people worldwide were hooked on the flow of information which the web delivers."

It may be hard to believe now, but the worldwide web did not exist 25 years ago - until Sir Tim invented a way of using networks of computers to talk to each other.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/25-years-of-the-world-wide-web-the-inventor-of-the-web-tim-bernerslee-explains-how-it-all-began-9185040.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Output : Part II : The WWW's 25th anniversary, erosion of (fill in the blank) and convenience :)

I want to add this other quote by Zilla as well:

Yes , but a caveman inventing the wheel is one thing.

A remote control for an air conditioner is something else.

There is convenience born of necessity, and convenience born of laziness.

We've exceeded all rational needs for convenience....and surley we aren't done yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Human beings are tricky creatures.  We have so many things in our lives that we don't actually need.  Do we actually need any of our audio and video equipment?

Mankind survived before the internet, before cell phones, before computers, before TV, before radio, even before telephones.

But would our lives be better if we threw away all these things?  Or have we simply evolved into a better life?

There's no answer to any of these things.  We're mysterious beings on a mysterious planet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If I wasn't spending on all this time on the internet, what would I be doing instead?  Would I be doing something more productive?  Or would I just be bored silly?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I love the WWW. But I'm also glad I remember the time before it and how information used to be gathered. Those who take computers and the WWW for granted may have little knowledge or real understanding of how we got to this point. The danger with the WWW and computers in general is that we are in danger of letting our electronic devices be a substitute for using our brains and critical thinking. I like to see electonic devices as merely tools to keep these things in perspective. We created computers to be used as tools, not to allow ourselves to stop thinking. If we don't know how to do math manually, how will we know if our calculator or computer makes a mistake? And eventually they do. These tools are very different from many tools of the past, as they do some of our mundane thinking for us. To me, this is where the real danger of brain atrophy comes in. The more we rely on these "brain" tools, the less we exercise our brains in ways we used to have to by necessity. I think that these simple brain exercises are important in our intellectual development. Nowadays, they think kids need computers in school. I think kids need to do things first without computers to train and discipline their brains, to get mental exercise. We are now more obsessed with excess physical flab than with mental flab.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Computers and the internet may have been originally intended for purposes of productivity and communication - practical things.

But the fact is, computers and the internet are now also used extensively for human entertainment.

That's one of the things that makes us the peculiar creatures we are - our constant need to be entertained.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Gee, and all I celebrated was Lithuanian Independece Day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Without the WWW there would be no Google ... then where would we be. However associated with the WWW is criminal activity, stuff like bad guys manipulating web browsers to obtain information they should not have access to (SQL injections in particular) or using sniffing tools to view what you are viewing on your computing device. Thus one has to be especially careful at public WIFI hot spots such as at malls if one's computing device is connected to them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm happy and surprised to be featured on two separate postings by two highly intelligent creatures who have evolved wonderfully into superstars of the internet.

Without the internet where could an aggressively opinionated fictional character ever hope to get quoted?

I love any reference to our ongoing series 'Give Me Convience Or Give Me Death."

For those have jumped aboard more recently, this is an ongoing theme ( the title I "borrowed" from a punk rock band called the Dead Kennedys...a compilation CD released in the 90s).

I hope that I am entertaining to you HF and others, but I sure miss my old pal and straight man, jesseyeric.....we had a nice routine going for a while, Yankee fan or not, Cheap Trick fan or not. I feel a little lonely here without him, sometimes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'm happy and surprised to be featured on two separate postings by two highly intelligent creatures who have evolved wonderfully into superstars of the internet.

Without the internet where could an aggressively opinionated fictional character ever hope to get quoted?

I love any reference to our ongoing series 'Give Me Convience Or Give Me Death."

For those have jumped aboard more recently, this is an ongoing theme ( the title I "borrowed" from a punk rock band called the Dead Kennedys...a compilation CD released in the 90s).

I hope that I am entertaining to you HF and others, but I sure miss my old pal and straight man, jesseyeric.....we had a nice routine going for a while, Yankee fan or not, Cheap Trick fan or not. I feel a little lonely here without him, sometimes.

Well, if only I could make everyone's wishes come true ... but this one, maybe I can help.   Let's see.    :) 

Check the other thread.

(and you didn't 'ruin' any threads, yeesh.  I welcome and am fine with tangents, but you said you wanted to start another thread, so I decided to help you out.)  As for other posters not being able to deal with a little teasing, well, boo hoo.   Life goes on, these threads do not.  :D 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I missed you too you old Lizard. Any man who will quote Jello Biafra will aloways be one of my best pals, cyber world or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm somewhat speechless which will please yoga immensely as I seem to keep taking her threads on strange tangents....hey, it's all in fun!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Computers and the internet may have been originally intended for purposes of productivity and communication - practical things.

But the fact is, computers and the internet are now also used extensively for human entertainment.

That's one of the things that makes us the peculiar creatures we are - our constant need to be entertained.  

Canadians used to rely on beer and hockey to get through those long winters. I can't give my opinions on beer , as I no longer drink it....but hockey in the post-Ray Bourque era is like stale toast with no butter....bland....no matter what Mike Emrick says. The only guy who can make a period of hockey with 4 shots on goal sound exciting.

Which leads me to how I got introduced to the internet. I was the world's biggest NHL fan for the better part of 20 years , than I lost interest thorugh the middle part of the 90's. I discovered NHL.com around 2001 and became interested in hockey again. While looking for a place to chat (after becoming bored with The hockeynews.com forum)with Bruins fans, I accidently found Boston.com. The Bruins forums were becoming increasing hostile and eventually I lost interest in the discussion boards and the sport in general, baseball was where the real action was!!!When I found that Boston.com had a music forum , I was psyched and started posting there with very little response.....however, being such a big music critic and opinionated on the subject I kept going. Soon many of you started answering my crazy threads and away we go!!!

To those of you who are regulars, semi-regulars and even the new people, thanks for posting, thanks for responding. I joke with yoga, David , jessey and a HF ( because it's fun!!!) mostly on the sports and political forums humor is less appreciated. I have fun with BILL806, who  is a funny guy, yet some think he is being straight up...I figured out his routine years back and it livens up a sometimes boring chat board, his act doesn't go over as well on the political forum....tis a viscious place....those people are a tough crowd.

Music is a subject that I feel comfortable about, I have strong opinions. 

I will say, with David in mind, that I am tough on Disco....because I don't like it ( especially KC and the Sunshine Band), but, and DON'T REPEAT THIS.....I will leave a Disco song on the radio if there are only ads on the other stations...because even lousy music is better than no music...however, I will listen to the news before I listen to a Bee Gees song.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Zilla. I have to agree with you on the Bee Gees songs. I think their songs were actually OK for the 1st half or so, but when they keep going higher and yet higher on their voices throughout their songs, it becomes a total trainwreck.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I have a sort of grudging admiration for the way the Bee Gees hoped onto the disco wagon and did so well at it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Which is exactly what ELO did. Discovery = VeryDisco.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Ditto Queen and their "The Game" album. It was actually their best selling album in the USA. Thank you Disco.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Which is exactly what ELO did. Discovery = VeryDisco.

Yes, Discovery is the dropoff point in ELO's career. They would go forward with a few more albums, but nothing you will likely want to own ( even though I do....but after spending the money, I rarely play those later LPs).

But, I didn't want to switch gears and have a disco thread, but I guess anything goes now that I have sabotaged yoga's original.

Sections
Shortcuts