Overplayed, *not* Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Overplayed, *not* Overrated

Among those that have been overplayed to the point of near self-destruction or abandonment by you, what songs and/or albums are still among those that you would never classify as overrated?

Of course, "Stairway to Heaven" comes to mind; let's get that out of the way first.   Unless some of you think it's been overrated all along, to add insult to injury (which you may).   :)

Another is the album, "Dark Side of the Moon" which has been overplayed and overexposed, yet -- would never(?) be considered overrated.  

Name a few.    Yes, I know, you could be here for weeks, because so many songs and albums suffered from the dreaded fate of being overplayed, but many of them truly were overrated, so  please separate the wheat from the chaff.   If you choose an album, it should be an album that was overplayed in entirety, and had wide exposure in its day, and probably still does.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Overplayed, *not* Overrated

Hotel California (the song)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Eagles, definitely.  "Life in the Fast Lane" is dead to me.

Steve Miller - "Jet Airliner"

Jethro Tull - "Aqualung"

AC/DC - It's hard to pick just one.  Frustrating, because they have some great songs rarely heard any more.  Even worse at bars.

J. Geils Band - "Centerfold"

Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"

U2 - "New Year's Day"

ZZ Top - "Legs"

Anything by fun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I don't know, I listen to my iPod with about 8,000 songs (and NO commercials) on it in the shuffle mode - no repeats and no overplaying!

When I was a kid those radio stations killed every hit song they could by playing it, what seemed like, every hour on the hour. Even MTV was guilty of overplaying certain artists.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Don't Fear the Reaper is another.  I used to love that song so much...now I will often change the channel if it comes on.

Another one like that is Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Some songs are good, some are great, some stink.

It's all in the ear of the listener.

I like so many songs that never saw the light of day on radios, jukeboxes, televisions or in your local supermarket or shopping mall. Examples would be anything by Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher and hundreds of Alternative bands, to name a slight few.

I also still love many, many of the "classics", you know those songs that the Classic Rock stations play at least once every single day. Because they choose to "overplay" these songs they can seem "over rated" but again opinion rules here. In my opinion every song by Lady Gaga is over rated. Every Disco song is over rated and 99% of Rap and Hip Hop is over rated. But , again, opinions are like you know what....everybody has one.

Here is a short list of great songs that have been played more times than you have eaten a meal (assuming you are over 20 years old), and yet ( again my opinion) these songs are still so terrific they never get stale, and can never, ever truly be "over rated":

Steely Dan - Do It Again

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Sweet Home Alabama

Jefferson Airplane- Somebody To Love, and White Rabbit

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up ( to name a few)

Van Morrison- Wild Night

Cream- White Room

O'Jays- Backstabbers

Beatles- Come Together, All You Need Is Love, Here Comes The Sun, Back In The USSR (and many others).

Van Halen- Jamie's Crying, Jump, Panama

Foreigner- Feels Like The First Time, Jukebox Hero, Urgent, Cold As Ice , Waiting For A Girl Like You.

Foghat- Fool For The City, Slowride

Talking Heads- Nothing But Flowers, Burning Down The House.

The Clash - I Fought The Law, Rock In The Casbah.

Elvis Costello- Red Shoes, Watching The Detectives, Allison (My Aim Is True), Veronica.

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense And Peppermints.

Yes- Roundabout

Jethro Tull- Aqualung, The Teacher.

Neil Young- Heart Of Gold, Old Man, Rockin' In The Free World.

The Cars- My Best Friend's Girl, Drive.

Joe Jackson- Steppin' Out.

Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock, Don't Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel ( and many others).

Ray Charles- What I'd Say, Hit The Road Jack, Busted, Unchain My Heart.

Led Zeppelin- Rock And Roll, the previously mentioned Stairway To Heaven, In The Evening, Trampled Under Foot, Dazed And Confused.( and many others).

Stevie Wonder - Superstition, Higher Ground.

Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water, Woman From Tokyo.

Black Sabbath- Paranoid.

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, ( many others).

Ozzie- Crazy Train, Bark At The Moon.

...I could go on, but as John Lennon once said..."I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What I was driving at was the idea that there's a tendency to downgrade a good song, or even a great album, simply because it's been played into oblivion.   This is a vast topic, maybe too vast.  =)    

I heard a song by the Police a day or two ago.   Now that threw me off, b/c I rarely hear their old songs.    They were, at one time, played ad nauseum.    

I don't however, think the Police were overrated in their era.   I'd say the same thing about a slew of Tom Petty songs, that have been scorched.   

Here are a few of mine:

Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
    Peace Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello
    Creep - Radiohead
    Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
    the list goes on ...

NOTE:  NO question at all that radio has devolved.   But this thread is more about songs that are of sustainable quality ... even though they've been destroyed by overplaying them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Hotel California (the song)

Can't deal with this one at all.  

But it is an amazing song.   I used the line, "you can check out any time you like ..." just the other day, in fact, in a conversation.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I used to hate the song "Magic" by The Cars because it was just played to death.  (Granted, it wasn't their strongest album either.)

But today, I think the song has aged well - as 80's pop hits go.  I even like the little wah-wah-wah ripoff of "Spirit In The Sky" in the third verse.

But "Drive"...?  Nope.  Can't do it.

Maybe ballads have an inherently shorter shelf-life...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I used to hate the song "Magic" by The Cars because it was just played to death.  (Granted, it wasn't their strongest album either.)

But today, I think the song has aged well - as 80's pop hits go.  I even like the little wah-wah-wah ripoff of "Spirit In The Sky" in the third verse.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Both songs make my 80s mix.  Actually, the Cars were cool back in the day. Great pop band.

Ever see this? Look at this lost, killer soundtrack from this movie:

Soundtrack album [edit]

Side one

1. "Surrender" – Cheap Trick
    2. "My Best Friend's Girl" – The Cars
    3. "You Really Got Me" – Van Halen
    4. "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace" – Cheap Trick
    5. "Come On (Part 1)" – Jimi Hendrix

Side two

1. "Just What I Needed" – The Cars
    2. "Hello There" – Cheap Trick
    3. "Teenage Lobotomy" – Ramones
    4. "Downed" – Cheap Trick
    5. "All That You Dream" – Little Feat
    6. "Ooh Child" – Valerie Carter

[/QUOTE]

Great soundtrack.

"Over The Edge", right...?

Obscurely, I know this because the director is the same as on "White Line Fever", which is classic 70's revenge fantasy-melodrama, and "Immediate Family", which also has a great, though unreleased, soundtrack.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What I was driving at was the idea that there's a tendency to downgrade a good song, or even a great album, simply because it's been played into oblivion.   This is a vast topic, maybe too vast.  =)    

I heard a song by the Police a day or two ago.   Now that threw me off, b/c I rarely hear their old songs.    They were, at one time, played ad nauseum.    

I don't however, think the Police were overrated in their era.   I'd say the same thing about a slew of Tom Petty songs, that have been scorched.   

Here are a few of mine:

Creep - Radiohead
    the list goes on ...

NOTE:  NO question at all that radio has devolved.   But this thread is more about songs that are of sustainable quality ... even though they've been destroyed by overplaying them.

[/QUOTE]

You think Tupelo Honey is overplayed? I play that album on 180G every other Sunday, almost.  Incredible record, timeless song.

That's just weird. I don't even know the Elvis song probably because he puts me to sleep.

I agree the Petty radio songs are radio staples, but that doesn't stop me from having Petty albums or an Ipod playlist which includes his incredible secondary catalog, B-Sides, unreleased, his box set material or side project material that is so deep and vast, it never gets old.

Neil Young too.  Any of the radio material with those guys don't even make my iPod playlists on those artists.

Stones, same thing. Start Me Up isn't even on my playlist.  I'd rather listen to Loving Cup for the millionth time than Start Me up for the zillionth.

[/QUOTE]

Wait.   

I have to amend my post.   Ugh (I'm not feeling well today, that's my excuse ... ), I really meant that those are overplayed songs that I love.    Yes, here, "Tupelo Honey" is greatly overplayed, IMO.   It's no "Stairway" by any means, but that sucker comes on the radio quite often, and I've never grown weary of it, considering what an old song it is.    In fact, it's one of my favorite songs.  

Most Petty songs too, that have been overplayed,  I don't hate any of them.  

My bad.  I'll come up with a list of overplayed songs that I can't stomach, but that I don't perceive as overrated.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Buckingham, Nicks, McVie era of Fleetwood Mac has some of the most over played songs ever.

This is not even my favorite lineup of the band. I like the old Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and prefer the Bob Welch era.

But , I can't argue with the Buckingham, Nicks, Mcvie lineups popularity and the fact that the music is also very good and stands up well. Most of the songs are just well written , Christine was a gifted writer, but Buckingham and Nicks were equals.

I don't mind hearing all these songs repeatedly, ( okay , I can skip Go Your Own Way....for a few decades, probably that one is over rated in my mind). The Chain, You Make Loving Fun and Gold Dust Woman are still songs I like to hear among many others.

I would rather hear something good for the millionth time, than hear something crappy more than once.

But again, opinions can and do vary widely in reference to music, movies and T.V. shows.

I would rather watch a great movie like the Terminator or Dirty Harry over and over than see a piece of rubbish once.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Drive" send me over the edge, too.  Oh, how I once loved it, though.  

Power ballads?

Power ballads (of the cheesy variety) are overplayed, but remain beloved,  aren't they? While it's a value judgement, most people don't think of them as overrated, do they?   I say that because they're rated in their own genre, which is "just right" for what they are, no more, o less.    Many of them are going strong and have aged insanely well.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Buckingham, Nicks, McVie era of Fleetwood Mac has some of the most over played songs ever.

This is not even my favorite lineup of the band. I like the old Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and prefer the Bob Welch era.

But , I can't argue with the Buckingham, Nicks, Mcvie lineups popularity and the fact that the music is also very good and stands up well. Most of the songs are just well written , Christine was a gifted writer, but Buckingham and Nicks were equals.

I don't mind hearing all these songs repeatedly, ( okay , I can skip Go Your Own Way....for a few decades, probably that one is over rated in my mind). The Chain, You Make Loving Fun and Gold Dust Woman are still songs I like to hear among many others.

I would rather hear something good for the millionth time, than hear something crappy more than once.

But again, opinions can and do vary widely in reference to music, movies and T.V. shows.

I would rather watch a great movie like the Terminator or Dirty Harry over and over than see a piece of rubbish once.

[/QUOTE]

Fleetwood Mac's a true example of this phenom.   Excellent points.    They have such a huge catalog of hits, so many of which have been drastically overplayed; if I never hear "Don't Stop" again, it will be too soon.   Smile  (that one is overrated to me as well).

McVie was a treasure as a female artist, and the era she was in the band is also my favorite.   Many of my favorite FWM songs have not been overplayed, thankfully, except by me, by choice.   

The movie analogy is pretty good, too!   You're on a roll.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Some songs which I think are overplayed,but still enjoy hearing in limited quanities: 

Dream On - Aerosmith

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Running with the Devil - Van Halen

All Star - Smashmouth

Keep your hands to yourself - Georgia Satellites

Pretty fly(for a white guy) - Offspring

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Riding the storm out - REO Speedwagon

Old time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger

Almost anything by Nirvana 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Drive" send me over the edge, too.  Oh, how I once loved it, though.  

Power ballads?

Power ballads (of the cheesy variety) are overplayed, but remain beloved,  aren't they? While it's a value judgement, most people don't think of them as overrated, do they?   I say that because they're rated in their own genre, which is "just right" for what they are, no more, o less.    Many of them are going strong and have aged insanely well.   

[/QUOTE]

The 80s were notorious for this.  Even now, I can't stomach "Open Arms", "Can't Fight This Feeling" or "I Want to Know What Love Is" from otherwise competent (if often banal and derivative) groups.

Maybe some have aged well, but they're the minority, IMO.  Jesse could give some perspective on some of the pop metal ballads of that era.  Most just make me cringe, but there are a few, like Tesla's "Love Song" or Scorpions' "Still Loving You" (one the finest examples ever), that have endured.

Sounds like we're ripe for a power ballad thread...  :^O

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

What radio station plays Tupelo Honey? It's like over 7 minutes long!

[/QUOTE]

You're not going to let me off the hook on "Tupelo Honey" are you?   I probably should not have used it as an example because it's far and away such a classic, and so stunning.  

But ...

It's 4 minutes, not SEVEN.    Look, I never said it was another "Highway to Hell" in terms of being overplayed, but I happened to hear it the morning I mentioned it, and it just occured to me how many times I've heard it.    I'm glad you think it's a gorgeous song, too.   :D    

Oh, just thought of a good example.    See next comment box.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

CCR songs, all classics, and I would think very few, would be considered overrated.   

In the overplayed category that I can't take anymore, however:  "Proud Mary",  "Down on the Corner", "Lookin Out My Back Door."   No, please.  

"Green River" is one I can listen to any time.   Overplayed but has never lost steam.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

CCR songs, all classics, and I would think very few, would be considered overrated.   

In the overplayed category that I can't take anymore, however:  "Proud Mary",  "Down on the Corner", "Lookin Out My Back Door."   No, please.  

"Green River" is one I can listen to any time.   Overplayed but has never lost steam.  

[/QUOTE]

In the words of Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks ( from Twilight Zone - The Movie):

"I love Creedence."

Fortunate Son

I Put A Spell On You

Molina

Bootleg

Travellin' Band

Born On The Bayou

Midnight Special

Bad Moon Rising

Green River

Lodi

Suzi Q

Down On The Corner

Hey Tonight

Run Through The Jungle

Good Golly Miss Molly

It Came Out Of The Sky

Sweet Hitch Hiker

Soemday Never Comes

..I wish I was listening to Creedence right now!!!

Has there ever been a band like Creedence?...you like them, your parents like them, your kids like them....everybody likes them!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're not going to let me off the hook on "Tupelo Honey" are you?   I probably should not have used it as an example because it's far and away such a classic, and so stunning.  

But ...

It's 4 minutes, not SEVEN.    Look, I never said it was another "Highway to Hell" in terms of being overplayed, but I happened to hear it the morning I mentioned it, and it just occured to me how many times I've heard it.    I'm glad you think it's a gorgeous song, too.   :D    

[/QUOTE]

Nope. haha

Tupelo Honey is not 4 minutes long.  There may be some radio edit a cool radio station somewhere uses, but the original is 7 minutes long.

http://www.amazon.com/Tupelo-Honey-2007-Re-mastered/dp/B0015OC4H2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1382034529&sr=8-7&keywords=tupelo+honey

[/QUOTE]

Here's a 4:03 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxVFgFDage0

Here's the 7:01 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3YLhtuzTQ

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

So, no wrong answer, right?  Laughing

The 4:03 version is the one I looked at right before I wrote my post.   It's a legitimate recording.    THANKS.  

(I can't always post  links)  

The 7-minute album version may be the real deal, but the shorter version was cut as a single.  :P    

Yeah, ha ha.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every Disco song is over rated

[/QUOTE]

I know you hate Disco,but I don't think it is overrated. The critics who rate music never seemed to rank Disco too highly and many rock fans despise the genre. Every genre has it's fans and often a brief moment of popularity. But I don't think there is much evidence that Disco is rated too highly by many or was ever really embraced by the majority of music fans. I think most people, including its fans, see Disco as the fun dance music it was intended to be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

Here are a few of mine:

Creep - Radiohead
    the list goes on ...

[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Van the man, and the song I always hear by him is Moondance. Overplayed, but not overrated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Van the man, and the song I always hear by him is Moondance. Overplayed, but not overrated.

[/QUOTE]

I'll ditto that...and add "Brown-Eyed Girl" to the overplayed list.

No offense whatsoever to actual brown-eyed girls, of course.  :P

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But ...

[/QUOTE]

Tupelo Honey is truly a lost classic checking my ipod it clocks in at 6:57.Earlier this summer I heard Flirting With Disaster twice in a forty five minutes span.With about 12,000 songs on my ipod all genres who needs conventional radio

Sections
Shortcuts