1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Overplayed, *not* Overrated

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every Disco song is over rated

[/QUOTE]

I know you hate Disco,but I don't think it is overrated. The critics who rate music never seemed to rank Disco too highly and many rock fans despise the genre. Every genre has it's fans and often a brief moment of popularity. But I don't think there is much evidence that Disco is rated too highly by many or was ever really embraced by the majority of music fans. I think most people, including its fans, see Disco as the fun dance music it was intended to be.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry David, I hate to keep annoying you, as you are one of the good guys. 

I don't dislike "dance" music.....but the Disco thing hit right around the time when I was becoming one of the biggest Rock music fans of all time. I carry a grudge against this disco craze because it became a BIG thing and so many people jumped on the train....but it was a "craze" , a "fad" which existed for only a few short years , while Rock, Blues and Folk music is timeless and has much more depth. Disco just annoys me as much as it annoys you that I keep putting it down.

It is hard for someone to explain why they despise something. But , to me  , Disco was to Rock Music what Reality T.V. is to classic movies. It is shallow and has a beat, but it says absolutely nothing....to me it is mindless sounds with vocals that repeat nonsense...."Boogie, oogie , oogie 'til you just can't boogie no more." ,,,I could probably have despised it less if they kept it all instrumental and totally skipped the nonsense lyrics.

Again, I am sorry and will try to restrain myself when possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Van the man, and the song I always hear by him is Moondance. Overplayed, but not overrated.

[/QUOTE]

Much better example, and I very much agree; Moondance has been played into the ground.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to bombah's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tupelo Honey is truly a lost classic checking my ipod it clocks in at 6:57.Earlier this summer I heard Flirting With Disaster twice in a forty five minutes span.With about 12,000 songs on my ipod all genres who needs conventional radio

[/QUOTE]

The album version of Tupelo Honey clocks at around 7:00 minutes, no question.   Glad you love it, too.  

It's not a completely lost classic, is it?   Something very offputting happened when I went to check the song on youtube.   There were a slew of new comments on it because, apparently, a member of the boy band, One Direction (Harry Styles) used a line from Tupelo Honey in a tweet he sent out, and it brought all these stray cats (his fans ...) over to youtube to check it out.

On one hand that bothers me, but OTOH, why not make it visible to younger people who may never have heard it?  

I *never* should have brought Tupelo Honey into this thread.  I admitted I was off the mark, it's not in the same league with the overplayed songs in this thread.     I'm sitting here laughing at myself, don't worry.   Mea culpa, again.  =)

Did I at least redeem myself with CCR as an example?   Zilla seemed to think so (you are so right, everyone loves them!  -- despite so many of their songs being overplayed, they have never lost steam) --  and that's alllrrright with me.    

Get out and have a nice weekend.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree 110% about"Moondance",also "Domino" gets overplayed too.One of my favorite Van Morrison songs is "Wavelength",but I don't hear it on the radio very often,in fact,rarely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrU5dJMeQug

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tupelo Honey is truly a lost classic checking my ipod it clocks in at 6:57.Earlier this summer I heard Flirting With Disaster twice in a forty five minutes span.With about 12,000 songs on my ipod all genres who needs conventional radio

[/QUOTE]

The album version of Tupelo Honey clocks at around 7:00 minutes, no question.   Glad you love it, too.  

It's not a completely lost classic, is it?   Something very offputting happened when I went to check the song on youtube.   There were a slew of new comments on it because, apparently, a member of the boy band, One Direction (Harry Styles) used a line from Tupelo Honey in a tweet he sent out, and it brought all these stray cats (his fans ...) over to youtube to check it out.

On one hand that bothers me, but OTOH, why not make it visible to younger people who may never have heard it?  

I *never* should have brought Tupelo Honey into this thread.  I admitted I was off the mark, it's not in the same league with the overplayed songs in this thread.     I'm sitting here laughing at myself, don't worry.   Mea culpa, again.  =)

Did I at least redeem myself with CCR as an example?   Zilla seemed to think so (you are so right, everyone loves them!  -- despite so many of their songs being overplayed, they have never lost steam) --  and that's alllrrright with me.    

Get out and have a nice weekend.  

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

CCR put out great singles.They said their piece in under three minutes and got out.I've probably heard Tupelo Honey once in the past year on the ZLX.Steely Dan are another example radio has driven their two hits Do It Again and Reeling In the Years into the ground.But in their hey day you would hear practically their whole album while it was on the charts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The last 12 years of my life have been Disney channel and top 40 radio, so no classic is Overplayed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I don't think anyone has mentioned this classic:

Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U

This one will probably be eternally overplayed, but it can never be overrated. To me, this is one of those songs that will always be played because it is such a seminal work of rock music. It is that rare song that always captures the true spirit of raucous rock fun no matter how many times it is played.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Steely Dan are another example radio has driven their two hits Do It Again and Reeling In the Years into the ground.But in their hey day you would hear practically their whole album while it was on the charts.

Agreed.  So many great album cuts languishing in airwave he!!...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Disco is a music I got used to because where I lived,the hottest women went to a local club that played it.There was a lot of "action" there between the women,music and other assorted goings on.I used to go to the rock and roll bars until midnight or so,then head to the disco to see who or what was available. 

I liked some disco,but I dance like a drunk,2 legged horse.It's my belief there's always something good in a musical genre,but sometimes it's harder to find in certain types of music more than others,you just have to look. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Dust in the Wind is a terrible, terrible song.

That is all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

Among those that have been overplayed to the point of near self-destruction or abandonment by you, what songs and/or albums are still among those that you would never classify as overrated?

Of course, "Stairway to Heaven" comes to mind; let's get that out of the way first.   Unless some of you think it's been overrated all along, to add insult to injury (which you may).   :)

Another is the album, "Dark Side of the Moon" which has been overplayed and overexposed, yet -- would never(?) be considered overrated.  

Name a few.    Yes, I know, you could be here for weeks, because so many songs and albums suffered from the dreaded fate of being overplayed, but many of them truly were overrated, so  please separate the wheat from the chaff.   If you choose an album, it should be an album that was overplayed in entirety, and had wide exposure in its day, and probably still does.  

[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that.

OK, I wouldn't  say "Stairway" is overrated. It's an awesome song. But if I were to list my 10 favorite Zeppelin songs,  chances are it would be like 7 or 8 if on the list at all.  Don't know why, but that's never been among my favorite Zep tunes (like "Casmir," "What Is and What Should Never Be," "Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," etc.).

There are certain songs that have been overplayed beyond overplayed but I'll still listen to every time they come on. "Free Bird" is one that comes to mind. I'll take the long way to  work  if that comes on and sing along every time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Among those that have been overplayed to the point of near self-destruction or abandonment by you, what songs and/or albums are still among those that you would never classify as overrated?

Of course, "Stairway to Heaven" comes to mind; let's get that out of the way first.   Unless some of you think it's been overrated all along, to add insult to injury (which you may).   :)

Another is the album, "Dark Side of the Moon" which has been overplayed and overexposed, yet -- would never(?) be considered overrated.  

Name a few.    Yes, I know, you could be here for weeks, because so many songs and albums suffered from the dreaded fate of being overplayed, but many of them truly were overrated, so  please separate the wheat from the chaff.   If you choose an album, it should be an album that was overplayed in entirety, and had wide exposure in its day, and probably still does.  

[/QUOTE]

OK, I wouldn't  say "Stairway" is overrated. It's an awesome song. But if I were to list my 10 favorite Zeppelin songs,  chances are it would be like 7 or 8 if on the list at all.  Don't know why, but that's never been among my favorite Zep tunes (like "Casmir," "What Is and What Should Never Be," "Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," etc.).

There are certain songs that have been overplayed beyond overplayed but I'll still listen to every time they come on. "Free Bird" is one that comes to mind. I'll take the long way to  work  if that comes on and sing along every time.

[/QUOTE]

Well, since you brought it up, I would argue that Stairway to Heaven is a somewhat overrated. I really don't think the song is *all that*. Of course, I think Led Zeppelin is a bit overrated if not overhyped and over praised by rock fans. I guess I just get turned off by the whole *rock gods* thing and all. I know I'm in the minority, but their music really doesn't do much for me.

I'm borderline on Freebird, but I much more enjoy the music of Skynyrd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're the first person to bring this up, all the way into the thread, so thanks for noticing, and by all means, your voice is heard.  :)   I feel a sense of relief that I had an "escape hatch" with my quip.  It's not as though I expected everyone to agree.   I'm far, very far, in fact, from being well-versed in LZ's full catalog, but "Stairway" is not in my top 5 songs, either.   I love "Kashmir", too, as well as one of my other favorites, "When the Levee Breaks" which I feel blows "Stairway" out of the water.   

I remember when I was in a cycling class a while back, and an older guy that I know in the gym was on the bike next to me (he's hysterically funny), and "Stairway" came on;  we did an uphill climb to the song, and he said to me, "Yoga, what's the name of this song, do you know?"  I told him it was Stairway.  He said, "OH yeah, I love this song!  I haven't heard it in years!"   Ha!  I kid you not!   (he then proceeded to sing along ...)  For all I know he hasn't listened to any music since high school, but he sure didn't seem to feel it was overplayed.  =)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Interesting topic.  We all seem to agree that the "overplaying/overhearing" of music is undesirable.  Harvey mentioned the "dissolution of stations like WZLX and radio being commercialized by Clear Channel" as being a contributing factor (I think) but, if so, I disagree and see that as huge positive to choice and protection from repetition corrupting tracks/bands we love.

I haven't listened to a terrestial radio station in years....and barely at all in 20 years.  But the advent of internet radio and even more so, podcasts, has given us all an epic, unprecended ability to listen to music of any genre, from anywhere, at no cost.

Don't want to hear Kansas or ELO or Foreigner again?  Then don't.  Want to hear them every day or so....or occasionally?  Then do.  I don't see the issue i.e. it's all about choice, today more than ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

CCR songs, all classics, and I would think very few, would be considered overrated.   

In the overplayed category that I can't take anymore, however:  "Proud Mary",  "Down on the Corner", "Lookin Out My Back Door."   No, please.  

"Green River" is one I can listen to any time.   Overplayed but has never lost steam.  

[/QUOTE]

In the words of Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks ( from Twilight Zone - The Movie):

"I love Creedence."

Fortunate Son

I Put A Spell On You

Molina

Bootleg

Travellin' Band

Born On The Bayou

Midnight Special

Bad Moon Rising

Green River

Lodi

Suzi Q

Down On The Corner

Hey Tonight

Run Through The Jungle

Good Golly Miss Molly

It Came Out Of The Sky

Sweet Hitch Hiker

Soemday Never Comes

..I wish I was listening to Creedence right now!!!

Has there ever been a band like Creedence?...you like them, your parents like them, your kids like them....everybody likes them!

[/QUOTE]

I think CCR and the Kinks are among the most underrated bands ever.  Kinks - as a band - remain much better known than CCR (and deservedly so IMO) but in both cases I think the love and admiration for their songbooks vastly exceeds the love and admiration for their bands, especially in the US.  Why?  My guess is because Ray Davies, unlike the Beatles and the Stones, sang in an English accent and CCR sang in a faux Bayou accent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

CCR songs, all classics, and I would think very few, would be considered overrated.   

In the overplayed category that I can't take anymore, however:  "Proud Mary",  "Down on the Corner", "Lookin Out My Back Door."   No, please.  

"Green River" is one I can listen to any time.   Overplayed but has never lost steam.  

[/QUOTE]

In the words of Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks ( from Twilight Zone - The Movie):

"I love Creedence."

Fortunate Son

I Put A Spell On You

Molina

Bootleg

Travellin' Band

Born On The Bayou

Midnight Special

Bad Moon Rising

Green River

Lodi

Suzi Q

Down On The Corner

Hey Tonight

Run Through The Jungle

Good Golly Miss Molly

It Came Out Of The Sky

Sweet Hitch Hiker

Soemday Never Comes

..I wish I was listening to Creedence right now!!!

Has there ever been a band like Creedence?...you like them, your parents like them, your kids like them....everybody likes them!

[/QUOTE]

I'm with The Dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iApz08Bh53w

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I love CCR as well, but I must put in a plug for Scotty Moore and his great guitar work with Elvis Presley on the Sun sessions. Where would John Fogerty be without him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_m3q7XYz4

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're the first person to bring this up, all the way into the thread, so thanks for noticing, and by all means, your voice is heard.  :)   I feel a sense of relief that I had an "escape hatch" with my quip.  It's not as though I expected everyone to agree.   I'm far, very far, in fact, from being well-versed in LZ's full catalog, but "Stairway" is not in my top 5 songs, either.   I love "Kashmir", too, as well as one of my other favorites, "When the Levee Breaks" which I feel blows "Stairway" out of the water.   

I remember when I was in a cycling class a while back, and an older guy that I know in the gym was on the bike next to me (he's hysterically funny), and "Stairway" came on;  we did an uphill climb to the song, and he said to me, "Yoga, what's the name of this song, do you know?"  I told him it was Stairway.  He said, "OH yeah, I love this song!  I haven't heard it in years!"   Ha!  I kid you not!   (he then proceeded to sing along ...)  For all I know he hasn't listened to any music since high school, but he sure didn't seem to feel it was overplayed.  =)

[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard it in years? He lived in a cave, or something?
    Dang it, just noticed I misspelled "Kashmir."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I have no idea to whom or what "Tupelo Honey" is in reference to, but I'd like to know, will someone please educate me.

Re Zeppelin - and I've owned every album for 40-odd years and like most of them - ripping off Willie Dixon is really lame....but ripping off Spirit?  Wankers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

For the record, who doesn't hate Hippies and all the (don't) stand for?   ;-)

But Spirit made the best, and only, great Hippie song ever!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeQ9kw818NQ

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

*And for the record, I've owned the single since around 1970.....I don't DJ much because I think it's extremely boring to stand in a box, on your own, when all your mates are having fun. But everyone digs "Line"....Hippies, Punks, Garage Punks, Northern Soul bores ad infinitum...because IT'S GREAT.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have no idea to whom or what "Tupelo Honey" is in reference to, but I'd like to know, will someone please educate me.

Re Zeppelin - and I've owned every album for 40-odd years and like most of them - ripping off Willie Dixon is really lame....but ripping off Spirit?  Wankers!

[/QUOTE]

Tupelo Honey is a song by Van Morrison.Here's a link to listen to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3YLhtuzTQ

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tupelo Honey, in addition to being one of the finest, buttery honeys, is a song by Van Morrison:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxVFgFDage0

(I am posting a shorter version for you, since I know your song tastes border on the "quick and dirty" variety ... ;-)  -- but some of my peers in the forum feel very strongly that the only version is the real, 7-minute original, and I agree, even though we debated this earlier, I never disagreed re: the quality of the longer version is superior ... )

So here's the longer version, if you're up for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E6YFJ8KHYc

Sections
Shortcuts