Part 2: Who's your Bassists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Part 2: Who's your Bassists

I'm Taking Flea

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Part 2: Who's your Bassists

Les Claypool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Flea is awesome. I like Victor Wooten, but he's almost become a circus act. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, and apparently Cheap Trick) is pretty amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Geezer Butler

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Graham Maby

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

John Entwistle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Nobody rocked a zucchini like Derek Smalls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

John Enthwistle because he was not a bassist. He was a bass guitarist. it starts and ends with him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Part 2: Who's your Bassists:
    Nobody rocked a zucchini like Derek Smalls.
    Posted by SlimPickensII

How he kept playing despite getting trapped in a cocoon was legendary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Part 2: Who's your Bassists : How he kept playing despite getting trapped in a cocoon was legendary.
    Posted by LloydDobler

And his Jazz Odyssey composition was really something. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Entwhistle is first.

But for pure bass: Larry Graham or Bootsy Collins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm not sure I want a flamboyant person. My vision of a bass player is person who stands off to the side and lets the vocalist and lead guitarist be the focus of the band.

With this in mind, I would say there are hundreds who fit the bill, including Entwistle. I would say Roger Glover or Bill Wyman would be good choices. Perhaps Tina Weymouth, if I wanted a female presence in my band.

But if I wanted a bass player who could handle vocals ( lead and backing) , I am going to go with Jack Bruce, Greg Lake or Geddy Lee.

I am such a big fan of Rush that I would say Geddy Lee would be my first choice. But the other two are great singers also.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Good call on Geddy Lee.
    Also McCartney. He's underrated as a bassist.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Paul Simonon (The Clash)
    Grahame Mabe (plays with Joe Jackson)
    Peter Hook (Joy Divison/New Order)

But for one... Paul Simonon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I'm not sure I want a flamboyant person. My vision of a bass player is person who stands off to the side and lets the vocalist and lead guitarist be the focus of the band. With this in mind, I would say there are hundreds who fit the bill, including Entwistle. I would say Roger Glover or Bill Wyman would be good choices. Perhaps Tina Weymouth, if I wanted a female presence in my band. But if I wanted a bass player who could handle vocals ( lead and backing) , I am going to go with Jack Bruce, Greg Lake or Geddy Lee. I am such a big fan of Rush that I would say Geddy Lee would be my first choice. But the other two are great singers also.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Good call on Jack Bruce. My second concert was the Allman Brothers with Jack Bruce and friends as the warm-up. Friends like David Sancious and Billy Cobham. 1980 IIRC. It's hard to say which band was better. I will have to argue that Greg Lake is a better guitar player than bass player, but his writing and voice carry the trump card, especially when alone on a stage at a place like Wembley, with nothing but a 12-string and a stick of chewing gum. Geddy is amazing, as what he sings and plays may not even have the same cadence or structure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

definitely mccartney.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Geddy's just great!

IMHO Flea is very good no doubt, I feel he gets a bit more than he deserves, the Chili Peppers emphasise the bass a lot, being a large part of their sound, a bit more than most bands. But he can pound it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

John Enthwistle because he was not a bassist. He was a bass guitarist. it starts and ends with him.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Excellent way of putting it.

I watched a special on him that broke down his playing and it was amazing to see how much he added compared to typical bassists.

Everyone else is fighing for second place. After Enthwistle, I'm inclined to put John Paul Jones.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

JPJ has to be on the list.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Les Claypool
    Mike Gordon
    Phil Lesh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Entwistle.

Sections
Shortcuts