Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary

"Pearl Jam’s Vs. and Vitalogy continued the band’s explosive success that began with their debut record Ten in 1991. Vs. was released on October 19, 1993 – it debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart, and sold over 6 million copies. Vitalogy followed a little over a year later on December 6, 1994, and has since gone 4-times Platinum, also reaching #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. And now some fifteen+ years later, these seminal records receive the definitive reissue. Vitalogy has been completely remastered and now includes three unreleased alternative versions of Pearl Jam classics."

How do you feel about the re-mastered release of Vitalogy for Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary?  Are you planning to get hold of it one way or another?  Can you get the original disc for pennies used? --- yes. Does everybody cool on the planet already have this album?  ha ha.  A must for the PJ fan who doesn't own this yet. Otherwise, will you bother?

How do you feel about the band's success over the past 20 years?    Considering all of the condemnation of other bands that came of age in the grunge era of the 1990s, Pearl Jam is one that rose to success, had "radio friendly" hits,  won a Grammy, and became a household name (to their dismay?) in alternative rock.  

Pearl Jam is now celebrating 20 years of rock.  So how would you assess this band?  Has time been kind to Pearl Jam?  Like fine wine, are they getting better with age? 

Thoughts, anyone?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary

i think the best part about pearl jam is how they got their name. worth looking into...i won't spoil it for ya.

i can only take so much of them at a time, but i have tremendous respect for them. their first three discs are stellar, and i think with their latest disc they have found their groove again.

they always allowed bootlegs and loved to be "anti-establishment" in a way. always gave back to their fans, and their true fans are diehard as a result.

i like them. i saw a picture of eddie vedder circa '92 last night, WOW he was young.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One of the better American rock bands to come out in the last 20 years.  I'm pretty sure they will be remembered as one of the foremost bands of the so-called 'grunge' movement.

They're not perfect - they can get a little too earnest and preachy for my tastes sometimes - but their live shows are very good, and best of all, they've been able to transcend and outlast the slew of poor imitators that followed in their wake.

It's encouraging when they can still come out with such a solid LP as "Backspacer" that sounds so effortless, as if they really know each other well.  But then, they've had that 'lived-in' quality almost since the beginning

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No love for Pearl Jam?   I get EV all to myself?  Fine with me. 

I have every intention of getting the new remastered album, as it's a good one for someone such as myself who didn't really warm up to them right away; they're a good example of a band that grew on me over time.  

But now? I think they're pretty great.  Is it getting to be unheard of to make it to 20 years in the rock music industry for more modern era bands?  Not sure, but it seems like 20 years is a decent test of time, and Pearl Jam made it.  So it goes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pearl Jam is great.  Their shows are awesome.  Mike McCready rules.

I went to my first PJ concert a few years ago just for the heck of it.  I figured they were supposed to be a great band and I might as well check them out.

I was BLOWN AWAY.  Something carthartic about singing, "it's a world wide suicide" with a pack audience in the Garden.  Seen them 4 times since.  Finally talked my girlfriend into going.  She hates it when I put them on the stereo.  She was blown away by the concert.

The energy level is so high.  They give it everything they got.  I'd pay huge amounts of money for a seat up close (Center Left, between Eddie and McCready) at the Comcast Center.  I had good tickets a few years ago at the comcast center.  What a scene.  Ears bleeding from shreadding guitar licks and screaming for more. 

If you've never seen PF live then don't start now.  It's hard enough to get good tickets as it is.

Red Mosquito live is simply awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Oh, I almost forgot.  I bought Ten, their first remastered CD.  I was a bit disappointed that they didn't use the HDCD format.  They had used the HCDC format for Live at the Gorge and a few other live releases.  It does make a difference.  The HDCD gives the sound a bit more range and a little more subtleness.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i should have put them on my bucket list...

..and yoga, you can have EV. as far as i know, there are only a couple other regular female posters in this music forum, and they haven't claimed him yet...so you're home free :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary:
    [QUOTE]Ears bleeding from shreadding guitar licks and screaming for more.  If you've never seen PF live then don't start now.  It's hard enough to get good tickets as it is. Red Mosquito live is simply awesome.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]Not sure what you're saying, or was that an error?  They're a great band, the live performances are amazing, and "don't" try to get tickets?  Why?  Are the best tickets only for previous PJ concert goers?   :)

Seems that if you're saavy about getting tickets in general, you'd be saavy about getting a PJ ticket, and even if you're not, maybe a seat that sux is better than not being there at all for plenty of people.  You made it sound like an irresistable ticket one way or another. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I do love Pearl Jam went and got all their CD when they had their run during the early '90s.  The thing is they just kind of fell out of the loop for me,  They are featured extensively on my I-POD, yet I don't find that I play them all that often. (that will probably change now that I am reminded of them). I think I would rather hear Neil Young when he plays electric.  I don't think I'll be going out to get their reissues.  Although I did preview them off of AOL on Tuesday. 

I do enjoy Eddie's solo work on soundtracks also (Into The Wild & Dead Man Walking) very eerie mood music.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I respect the hell out of them (when I saw them play The Who, I went, "Wow!  They get it for sure")
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Yes, their performance on the Who VH-1 tribute show was staggeringly good.  The choices of 'The Real Me' and 'Love Reign O'er Me' showed that they really get it, as you say.  I would imagine that Pete Townshend sees Eddie Vedder as doing a pretty good job of carrying the torch for keeping spirituality in rock music.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

There stuff was good, great even, when it came out 20 years ago.  I just don't think of them as timeless as you would the Stones or the Who and company.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In my opinion, Pearl Jam without question the best band of the '90s. Never forget when I bought "Ten" ... went into the local record story and a guy I knew there who knew my tastes told me and said, "I know you will LOVE this. If you don't, I'll give you your money back." Needless to say, I never asked for a refund.

Saw them live three times: In '91, '93 and '98. Fantastic performances, all.

To phsmith: I know part of the story. I know what the band was originally called, but now how it ended up as Pearl Jam.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary : Not sure what you're saying, or was that an error?  They're a great band, the live performances are amazing, and "don't" try to get tickets?  Why?  Are the best tickets only for previous PJ concert goers?   :) Seems that if you're saavy about getting tickets in general, you'd be saavy about getting a PJ ticket, and even if you're not, maybe a seat that sux is better than not being there at all for plenty of people.  You made it sound like an irresistable ticket one way or another. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

It was a lame attempt at being facetious.  Good PJ tix are hard to come by. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think PJ is the best band now.  They may have put out better songs in the 90s, but I think their live performances are amazing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] To phsmith: I know part of the story. I know what the band was originally called, but now how it ended up as Pearl Jam.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

they got the name from a supposed recipe that Eddie's grandma (Pearl) had for a "trippy" kind of jelly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary : It was a lame attempt at being facetious.  Good PJ tix are hard to come by. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE] No problem, my bad  for not seeing your humor. Embarassed
    I didn't catch the sarcasm  (most people who know me online know I don't have a sarcasm detector, but I am working on it!)    Anyhow, enjoyed reading your review of their live performances and the recommendation.   Thanks!
    Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yoga, i watched a video on todaysbigthing.com (they pick in their opinion the best web video of the day in 6 or so different categories) and under the cute animals section there was a video titled "yoga cat..." i cant post links from my work, but i thought of you, and you should watch it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary : they got the name from a supposed recipe that Eddie's grandma (Pearl) had for a "trippy" kind of jelly.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Actually, since I did a mini-bio of Eddie Vedder last week for the "Who is This"  question I did that day, I knew this, and therefore, have to correct you, and set the record straight. 

In a Rolling Stone cover story:
    "Vedder admitted that this story (the one about his grandma and the peyote jam) was "total bullsh**", even though he indeed had a great-grandma named Pearl. Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young, in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length, a practice known as jamming."

Now you won't go telling that story about the peyote jam and the grandma anymore; it has no basis in truth.  

Yoga wins this round.    :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]yoga, i watched a video on todaysbigthing.com (they pick in their opinion the best web video of the day in 6 or so different categories) and under the cute animals section there was a video titled "yoga cat..." i cant post links from my work, but i thought of you, and you should watch it!
    Sounds fun (and funny) and I'll take a look when I get a chance.  I'm a sucker for cute animal "anything", if you know what I mean. 
    Thanks, can't wait to check it out. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I do love Pearl Jam went and got all their CD when they had their run during the early '90s.  I don't think I'll be going out to get their reissues.  Although I did preview them off of AOL on Tuesday.  I do enjoy Eddie's solo work on soundtracks also (Into The Wild & Dead Man Walking) very eerie mood music.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    BTW, ever since you shared that tip about the AOL previews, I check it every week, too.  That site is a great resource, so been meaning to thank you again for it.  And I listened to the PJ album that way, too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary : Actually, since I did a mini-bio of Eddie Vedder last week for the "Who is This"  question I did that day, I knew this, and therefore, have to correct you, and set the record straight.  In a Rolling Stone cover story: "Vedder admitted that this story (the one about his grandma and the peyote jam) was "total bullsh**", even though he indeed had a great-grandma named Pearl. Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young , in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length, a practice known as jamming." Now you won't go telling that story about the peyote jam and the grandma anymore; it has not basis in truth.   Yoga wins this round.    :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

haha, i had actually read that, but i like the grandma story because they actually started the rumor themselves in the Halleucinagenic Recipes box set...figured i'd keep it alive. thanks for nothing! :)

but yeah, they were originally called mookie blaylock, who was an amazing point guard in the NBA

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary : haha, i had actually read that, but i like the grandma story because they actually started the rumor themselves in the hallucinogens box set...figured i'd keep it alive. thanks for nothing! :)
    You think I believe that you knew?  Think again.  I won that round and that's the end of it.  You can try to trip me up later, but I get to enjoy my victory on this one.  Don't be a sore loser. 
     Laughing

And by the way, we met over a dispute on a sports figure, remember (Bobby Orr) and I then straightened you out with a shot of Bill Russell.  So don't go using sports knowledge on me thinking you can pull a fast one. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

haha, listen...you're better than me, but don't underestimate....

...wachyo back foo! i'm comin for ya...Wink

edit: i do think it makes it a little better that they started the rumor themselves...no doubt to hype up their hallucinogenic recipes box set

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

There's only one thing that's important to me, and that's that you know I'm just kidding around (which I believe you are well aware of!) -- but you have an excellent knowledge base for all things music, and once in a while, it's fun for someone like me to trick you at your own game, if I can get away with it.  ;)

As for the original rumor, yes, they started it themselves, but I guess when they had a cover story in RS, EV felt the need to come clean about it, and that was the right thing to do.  It's still a cool story, no matter how you look at it. 

I love hearing about the origin of a band's name, and find it interesting and fun.