Perfect Covers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Perfect Covers

I just heard this on WERS this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-Cx9IX4So

Willie Nelson covering Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe".   The pairing of artist and song is just perfect -- and the video (done with his son Lucas Nelson) only makes it more so.

I'm wondering if others have covers they've found that give you that "Ah ha!" feeling -- that "now that I hear it, it makes perfect sense" reaction.   Any come to mind?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Perfect Covers

I've mentioned these before:

"Goin' To Acapulco" by Jim James (MMJ) & Calexico

and "Pressing On" by John Doe (X)

Both are from the I'm Not There soundtrack, which is composed of some 40-odd Dylan covers - some quite obscure and several featuring either Calexico or a supergroup of sorts called the Million Dollar Bashers (Tom Verlaine of Television, Nels Cline of Wilco, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, and others). 

Dylan covers might not be much of a stretch for the topic, but these two are among the very best I've ever heard...so fully realized and cinematic in scope and beautifully rendered by two astounding vocalists.  They're also uncommon selections showing the depth of the man's catalog.

I can't recommend this album enough.  Granted, some versions work better than others, but the diversity of talents and sensibilities on display is epic.  They are at once tributes to and interpretations of one of America's greatest ever songwriters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Clifford:  I like that Black Crows cover, but I think what I like about the Willy Nelson cover is that he took a song that had one meaning for me and not only made it his own, but interpreted it in a different way altogether -- as an end-of-life song sung by a father to his son.

Or maybe that's just 'cause I'm not getting any younger myself.  :)

But those Black Crows really wrung every bit of soul and blues and RnR out of that song, for sure!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Perfect Covers:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Perfect Covers : Nice, I really enjoyed that. One cover I love is Shawn Colvin, "Viva Las Vegas".  Check it out :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g87Mu9SNqwk
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Love this, chazz!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Perfect Covers:
    [QUOTE]I think GnR has two of the best covers in Live and let die and Knocking on heavens door.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Agreed to the point of both covers being better than the original versions.

Johnny Cash's version of NIN's Hurt is outstanding.

NIN's version of Dead Soulls originally recorded by Joy Division is also outstanding.

And as a Beatle freak, their version of "Please Mr. Postman", IMO, blows away the original Motwon version.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I could list a bunch of covers that I think are excellent.

I'll keep the list short, because you all have better things to do than read a list two miles long.

'Hazy Shade of Winter' by The Bangles. ( Simon and Garfunkel original), love the upbeat version....my favorite Bangles tune ( had to buy the soundtrack album to get it, though).

'Since You've Been Gone' by Rainbow ( Russ Ballard original)...Blackmore and Bonnet make this one sensational....Ritchie at his best.

'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' by Joan Jett ( you aren't going to outdo Angus and the boys on this one!, but Joan does a darn good job).

'Little Wing' by Stevie Ray Vaughan. Imagine trying to cover Hendrix!!!, you would have to have rocks in your head!!!, but if you are Stevie Ray Vaghan, you can get away with it...and it's very good!

'Hair Of The Dog' by GNR, (Nazareth classic). The original is awesome, but Axl and Co. do a great job on this classic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

'Epic' covers of non-epic originals:

Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

Roll Over Beethoven - ELO

These both make the originals sound ordinary imho.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A few of my favorite covers:
    Ball and Chain - Janis Joplin's cover of the Big Mama Thorton song
    Proud Mary - Tina Turner's cover of CCR
    Voodoo Chile - Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Jimi Hendrix
    All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix cover of the Bob Dylan song 
    Crimson and Clover - Joan Jett's cover of Tommy James and the Shondell's classic
    Highway 61 revisited - Johnny Winter cover of Bob Dylan
    Ain't that a shame - Cheap trick's cover of the Fats Domino classic

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You're So Vain - Faster Pussycat. It blows Carly Simon's version away.