Physical Graffiti or Exile on Main Street?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Physical Graffiti or Exile on Main Street?

Is this the ultimate 70's double album face off?  

Which do you prefer?   Tough choice or easy decision?  (NOTE: this may not be an apples to apples choice in your eyes).  

Was there a more preferable double album from the 70's for you?  

Also, name a few of your (other) favorite double albums.   Any era.   Please exclude compilations / bests.    Honorable mentions can go to Nuggets, however. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Physical Graffiti or Exile on Main Street?

The Beatles White Album is my pick. Not a 70s album though.

Most of my favorite double albums are live LPs.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Does live count?

How bout triple albums?

I can think of ONE quadruple, but that may be pushing it.

Sure, go with live, if it's a double and it's top tier for you.    

Opinions / feedback  on live double albums will be a two-fer b/c we haven't discussed live albums in a while and it's always interesting to see opinions on them.  

NOTE: Would be nice to see which album you prefer as per the OP.  Slim is the only person to have weighed in so far.   (thanks, Slim).     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Heh...that's like choosing one kid over another. (jk)

Two of my favorites from that era and possibly from either band.  Sprawling, ambitious, messy (even unfocused) double albums are one of my favorite rock music archetypes.  There's something quite rock n' roll to me about just throwing it all out there in one shot, even if they don't necessarily fit together.  

In that spirit of decadence, I just can't select one.  Both are flawless to me in their ramshackle glory.  Exile captures that whiskey-soaked hedonism of the blooze and dirty soul while living as the biggest rock band in the world.  And Graffiti totally glorifies the 70s hard rock excesses while still serving their legacy of one of the elite, most influential touring bands of their time.

From memory, I can't think of a single track on either that I dislike (even as so many are barely played on radio).  And even the familiars - Kashmir, Tumbling Dice, Happy - still don't get boring.  They still feel like products of two groups who were at the top of their game (and perhaps never quite saw that level again).

Take "Ten Years Gone".  Such a gorgeous, slow burn of a rock song tailor made for the 'heavy-light' dynamic Zep was famous for.  Likewise, "Sweet Virginia" and "Loving Cup" are inspired paeans to red lights, late nights and smoky rooms.

Even the 'extra' tracks are loaded with character: The Wanton Song, Ventilator Blues, Trampled Under Foot, Rip This Joint, Night Flight, Just Wanna See His Face, Custard Pie...I could keep going all day....

As for the best of the 70s, for me they would be right up there, but the competition would be tough.  I'll post my double love later....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  I think 'double' and 'double live' should be separate categories, but that's just me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Sandanista.. The Clash..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

1) Quadrophenia

2) Physical Graffiti

3) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

As far as a 1970's double album goes,I think "Frampton Comes Alive" was probably the most popular of the decade.That doesn't necessarily mean it was the best,just the most popular.

A couple of my personal favorite double albums from the 1970's would be Derek and the Dominos "Layla and other assorted love songs" and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "Live Bullet".But there were a lot of great multi album sets from the 70's,so it's pretty tough to narrow it down to 1 or 2 favorites for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Combine soxnut's list with Mr. Mojo's and I'm set.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

P.S.  I think 'double' and 'double live' should be separate categories, but that's just me.

They should be separate, granted.   Greg raised a good point I hadn't thought about.  

So yeah, if you all have one or some of each, please list them separately.

The list(s) should only be for double albums you think are exceptional.   

And the LZ / RS choice was supposed to be tough -- although, it won't necessarily be tough for everyone.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Studio should be separated from live, IMHO.

As for the two albums mentioned, I would choose Physical Graffiti, but that's just my taste. Another classic double album from the 70's has to be Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. In my opinion, Elton's last and greatest album. This album has everything you can possibly ask for.

Favorite double album from the 70's has to be Quadrophenia. Favorite triple album - All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Some notable multi-album sets not already mentioned which are live are:

Chicagpo - Live at Carnegie Hall (4 record set)

Leon Russell Live (3 record set)

Yessongs (3 record set) - Yes

Welcome Back My Friends (to the show that never ends) - ELP

Live! Bootleg - Aerosmith

Live Killers - Queen

All The World's a Stage - Rush

Roxy & Elsewhere - Frank Zappa and the Mothers

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Honorable Mention although I don't want to mention them is KISS alive. No one knows for sure if this is a pure live album or not, but it certainly became one of the most influential live albums of all-time. Not sure why.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Physical Grafitti...my choice. ELO - Out of the Blue, George Harrison - All Things Must Pass, Ian Hunter - The Ballad of Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople, Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Pink Floyd - The Wall ('79)......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I got Quadrophenia and Yellow Brick Road for Christmas in 1973...on 8 track tapes.  It was a mind-blower to get 2 amazing double albums at the same time.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Of course, three have been mentioned that I should have thought of ...London Calling, Layla and The Wall. I'll add Emerson , Lake and Palmer's , 'Works Vol. 1' and I don't recall that anyone mentioned 'Tommy.'

When we start talking about live albums, the list is just too long and starts , as Greg said , with Made In Japan.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Never really listened to either album. What Matty praises them for is just the kind of thing I don't like: sprawling and messy. I am only really familiar with the "hits" Kashmir and Tumbling Dice and I prefer the latter. Other than that, can't really comment on them. These are two bands I'm not into all that much. I have zero Led Zep and only two Stones Hot Rocks in my CD collection.

I would pick two already mentioned as favorite "70's" double albums, Layla and London Calling, which were released at opposite ends of the full 70's spectrum and represent two very different kinds of rock music.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great choices so far....The Wall and London Calling would make my 70s list.

I have to add:

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

Miles Davis - Bit**es Brew

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything 

Soft Machine - Third

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Of course, three have been mentioned that I should have thought of ...London Calling, Layla and The Wall. I'll add Emerson , Lake and Palmer's , 'Works Vol. 1' and I don't recall that anyone mentioned 'Tommy.'

When we start talking about live albums, the list is just too long and starts , as Greg said , with Made In Japan.

Nice Avi mate.  I didn't know he had passed.  Requiem Aeternam Pacem, Maestro Lee.

My fascination with great guitarists has led me from Chuck Berry to Joe Satriani. My favorites are Robin Trower , Ritchie Blackmore, Santana and Eric Clapton. I never learned to play , just never really found the time....I have patience for drawing and painting ( I can pick up a pen or pencil and draw a sketch anytime , anywhere ...some people even think my doodling is good , including the Prov. Journal , who actually paid me for three political cartoons back in the 90s)...but  creating music has always seemed so hard to me....this is possibly why I love listening to music so much.

Alvin Lee is the guitarist I always wanted to be. The guy is so cool. He is famous, yet not famous. One of the greatest, yet not as popular as Jeff Beck,Santana, Clapton, Hendrix or even Trower. He was one of the highlights of Woodstock. He fronted one of the ultimate British Blues bands before going on to a stellar ( if "under the radar") solo career.

Many Rock stars have died ( expectedly or unexpectedly) ...but the loss of Alvin Lee has saddened me because I always saw him as a guy that would live forever....to me he was kind of a bigger than life presence. It really was so unexpected to hear about this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One album I haven't seen mentioned yet is Neil Young's "Live Rust".Great,great album.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Live - Europe 72, Grateful Dead

Studio- American Beauty, Grafeful Dead, Madman Across the Water, Elton John, Regatta De Blanc, Police

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Great choices so far....The Wall and London Calling would make my 70s list.

I have to add:

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

Miles Davis - Bit**es Brew

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything 

Soft Machine - Third

Songs in the Key of Life, yes. May be one of the greatest albums ever made imo. That album sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released.

Sections
Shortcuts