Prank backfires and becomes "an opportunity to educate the world that deaf people can do anything --including listen to music"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Prank backfires and becomes "an opportunity to educate the world that deaf people can do anything --including listen to music"

How do you turn an insensitive prank into an opportunity?  By a proud and dignified response, that's how.  

Let's hear it for principal, Jeremiah Ford,  and all the students at the Boston-based Horace Mann School for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired, because that's exactly what they have done. 

A contest that featured an opportunity to have Taylor Swift appear at a school in the US, along with a $10,000 prize, was hi-jacked by an internet prank group; they steered votes, as a "joke" against Taylor Swift, to a school for the deaf, which happens to be located in Brighton, MA, and has therefore, been picked up by the local media.

As it turns out, despite the insensitivity, the prank is now being seen as an opportunity to show the world that deaf and hearing impaired people love and appreciate music on their own terms:  
    http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/boston_daily/2012/08/31/sending-taylor-swift-boston-school-deaf-kids-internets-weakest-prank/ 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Prank backfires and becomes

I believe Taylor Swift's music might be appreciated by people who are deaf.

It's certainly wasn't made for the rest of us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

That kind of reminds me of a great movie most of you have probably seen called "Children of a lesser God" with William Hurt and Marlee Matlin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Prank backfires and becomes :

That kind of reminds me of a great movie most of you have probably seen called "Children of a lesser God" with William Hurt and Marlee Matlin.

Oh, that is such a fantastic movie.  Thanks for the reminder.  Love Matlin. (note: she's been in the hot seat with the deaf community because she lip reads).    

Ah, well,  this is where I am a bleeding heart, plain and simple.  I was interested in becoming a SPED teacher at one time, and took a class in signing (and loved every minute of it).   Was a volunteer at a recording studio for talking books for the blind (loved every minute of it).   The closest thing I ever got to working in a "recording studio", too.   :)  

While I have no problem with a joke as to where Taylor Swift should give a concert (seriously?)  ---  and I'm also not a member of the PC police (that's just gotten tiresome), the "joke" was at the expense and disrepectful of a group of people who have their own unique identity that they are proud of.   I respect the manner in which the school handled this; they put themselves on the map in such a positive light, not making themselves into victims, but victors.  Doesn't get much better.   

It looks like the voting will persist for a while, but there's a movement afoot to keep the votes going for the Horace Mann School.   Ah, what a twist of fate.   :D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I love that the Horace Mann school may win this thing and I hope it catches Taylor Swift's attention.

I especially admire the head of the school. This guy is a rare leader. The ability to turn a mean spirited,  immature prank into something so positive is a great quality.

I am a firm believer that good will always win over bad..so when I see it in action, I love it.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I went to the website.  Pretty clear the OP thought he/she was funny, but most of the responses seem to believe it would be a wonderful thing for her to go there.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure who you mean  by OP.   Do you mean the original pranksters? (I hope)  The comments on the website are heart-warming.   The joke went right out the window.  :)

If the school wins it will be fantastic; and lucky Swift, because she'll benefit from performing for those kids.  I'm sure the media will track the story if they win; cross your fingers for a sweet victory.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Seems that the discussion comments have been restored in our older threads.   Miracles do happen. :)

UPDATE:

Despite the number of votes that were cast for the Horace Mann School (see OP regarding the circumstances), the winners of the contest were chosen based on a more reasoned and fair methodology.  

Jeremiah Ford, the principal of the HM School, confirmed that Swift, and the co-sponsors of the concert decided to remove Horace Mann from the running; instead, Swift will make a personal donation of $10,000, which was matched by additional co-sponsors, Cover Girl and American Greetings.  

VH1 "Save the Music" prgoram is also donating $10,000 in instruments for HM students.  

As if that wasn't enough, every student at the school will get a ticket to Swift's next local show.   

Might have been a circuitous route, but with this outcome, the Horace Mann School is the clear winner.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I had read the article about the donations and was thinking about this thread.What had started out as a classless,mean spirited prank turned out to be a blessing for the Horace Mann school.Everyone involved are deserving of kudos for their generosity.It's nice to see a real life happy ending every so often.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It is nice to see a happy ending.   The principal handled it with amazing grace, as did the students of the Horace Mann school.  

They must be elated.  :)  

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I believe Taylor Swift's music might be appreciated by people who are deaf.

It's certainly wasn't made for the rest of us.

TRUE! - Thank you for a much needed laugh!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Maybe the folks over at the Horace Mann school could teach a certain poster here a thing or two about tolerance.

Sections
Shortcuts